U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 07:35 AM

16 posts, read 29,869 times

Advertisements

My husband has just accepted a job in Huntington and we will be relocating in the fall. However, we know absolutely nothing about the area! We would like to rent a home, but I'm finding rental homes to be few and far between. Do you have any recommendations of neighborhoods that we should be looking into? We would prefer a suburban neighborhood. My husband will be commuting to the City Hall area and I will be looking for a teaching job in a private school.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,296,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanyH View Post
My husband has just accepted a job in Huntington and we will be relocating in the fall. However, we know absolutely nothing about the area! We would like to rent a home, but I'm finding rental homes to be few and far between. Do you have any recommendations of neighborhoods that we should be looking into? We would prefer a suburban neighborhood. My husband will be commuting to the City Hall area and I will be looking for a teaching job in a private school.

Thank you for your help!
If you are looking for a nice suburban neighborhood, you might want to look in the Barboursville area just east of Huntington. Has a very nice school system and feels like a small town, but has a large shopping mall and plenty of restaurants. The housing stock in Barboursville is also newer, so you should be able to find something you like/need.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 AM

Ok thank you! We will definitely do that!

Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,853,510 times
Barboursville is a great area if you want a suburb. As mentioned, it is very convenient to shopping and not too far from downtown. There are also several unincorporated areas just out of city limits that might suit your needs as well. If looking for a rental, you might check out Seneca ridge town homes or Royal Oaks.

Seneca Ridge Townhomes

https://www.royaloaksatpearidge.com/

http://www.homeswvohky.com/rg15-3.pdf

If you will be teaching at a private school, you will likely be working in the city as well. I would suggest a visit to the area prior to moving to scope things out. In West Virginia, often times the cities themselves feel more like suburbs in larger areas. Your convenience would be much better living in an area like the South side of Huntington. I will keep an eye out for rental homes if interested as I live in the South side myself. Hope this helps.

Tim

Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,313 times
Something else that you should know is that all of the private schools are religiously affiliate, specifically Catholic.

Just thought that might be useful information.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Thank you very much! We are having a hard time finding a rental house. We would prefer a house to an apartment, and would definitely be interested in townhomes. We looked at Senica Ridge's website, and they look very nice but I'm concerned that $1000/month for a 2br townhome is a little steep...

Thank you, Tim for posting those links, especially the rental guide. I will be exhausting that for sure! Y'all have been so helpful and I really appreciate it! We are looking forward to moving to West Virginia

Old 08-08-2013, 07:17 PM

748 posts, read 1,356,803 times
Barboursville hands down, trust me you do not want to live in Huntington.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Barboursville hands down, trust me you do not want to live in Huntington.
There are plenty of areas in Huntington that are a lot nicer than Barboursville.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
There are plenty of areas in Huntington that are a lot nicer than Barboursville.
double post.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Last edited by CarolinaDreams; 08-08-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington