Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdya View Post
Mountain State would be the ideal choice to set up shop.Would love to see them go into the Uno's building, if and when it comes available

I remember seeing that article on Brewtal, sounds like they are trying to head in that direction.
Mountain State would do a nice job in Huntington. They have a very successful operation in Morgantown in spite of competition from the also successful Morgantown Brewing Company. Mountain State has good brew, and good food too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:21 PM

6 posts, read 7,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Does WV have beter selection yet? When I was there they had more generic microbrews like Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat, Great Lakes, etc.

They get Dogfish yet or Stone? Southern Tier, Elysium, Troegs, etc.
WV doesn't have Dogfish or Stone. I doubt they will be here any time soon. We did get Southern Tier last year though. Rumor has it that Bell's and Oskar Blues are on their way in. Green Flash should be here fairly soon too.

I have an ear close to the craft beer scene in Huntington and I don't know of any homebrewers that are very serious about starting a brewery. I won't believe anything until I see somebody submit their application to the ABC. However, I do know of a couple women who are fairly serious about starting. One of them is actually interning at a brewery in Europe. Huntington would be a great city for production breweries. Just think of all of the unused warehouses/factories/industrial sites. Although Rails and Ales was a great success and it showed how much people enjoy craft beer, I'm unsure how well a brewpub would do in Huntington. I would certainly love to see some brewpubs open, but I know how fickle and stubborn Huntington can be.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I too keep hearing rumblings about a local brewery. At the very least, I would imagine the Mountain State Brewing Co. has some interest after the Rails and Ales festival.
I don't see Mountain State taking the plunge on Huntington. They're too busy trying to expand their distribution. They just entered Charleston and are working on setting up routes for Huntington.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:30 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times
I'm not a beer drinker myself but I would like to see a Huntington Brewery start up. I think it would be a nice addition to the local restaurant market for sure. Hopefully someone will make it happen.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Rumor has it that Uno's might be closing and turning into a chain brewpub. Additionally, Morgantown Brewing Company is seriously considering opening a place in Huntington. It'll have a different name of course.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:19 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay9 View Post
Rumor has it that Uno's might be closing and turning into a chain brewpub. Additionally, Morgantown Brewing Company is seriously considering opening a place in Huntington. It'll have a different name of course.
They have a very good product, and I think it would work. I am a beer drinker, and appreciate their products. Although Huntington is by and large a blue collar, Budweiser/Miller town, I believe there are enough folks there from other traditions to make it work.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay9 View Post
Why change the name?

That is the company name. Do people in Huntington hate Morgantown so much they will refuse to buy beer because Morgantown is in the name?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
I would have to say that if a business with Morgantown in its name opened in Huntington that it would have a hard time surviving.

The same could be said if a company with Ann Arbor in its name opened in Columbus.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I would have to say that if a business with Morgantown in its name opened in Huntington that it would have a hard time surviving.

The same could be said if a company with Ann Arbor in its name opened in Columbus.
Not really.

Most places don't care. It is the name of a company.

Like I have always said though Huntington does hate Morgantown for some reason. The opposite is not true. If a company called Huntington beer opened up and made good beer nobody in Morgantown would care about the name.

I wonder why southern WV hates Morgantown so much?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,512 times
Its not Morgantown in particular, it's a tie to the rivalry between Marshall and WVU. I don't know many people who live in the Huntington area that really care about what goes on in Morgantown, in relation to the city itself, so I wouldn't say its hatred.

In terms of a sporting rivalry, if there is a business with a reference to your rival or its location in its name, I believe a good portion of the people would care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington