U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 01:22 PM

11 posts, read 15,657 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing rumblings, rumors that we may get a brewery soon. Anyone have any inside info? Seems like Huntington is way past due for one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:39 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,256,549 times
I haven't heard anything but given the recent success of the Rails and Ales craft brew festival, the national trend of more small craft beer operations and Huntington being a college town, having a brewery in Huntington isn't out of the question.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,296,731 times
I will say this, I hope that if they do open a microbrewery, that they don't make it anything like the one in Charleston. That one leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to food and atmosphere. The beer is good, but the layout of the place is very strange.

Huntington is a very good market for one. Hopefully if one goes it, it will have more of an open floor plan, have at least some form of music or tv, and good visibility of the kettles and process.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:31 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,853,510 times
I too keep hearing rumblings about a local brewery. At the very least, I would imagine the Mountain State Brewing Co. has some interest after the Rails and Ales festival.

There is a group of local guys currently attempting to get the support to open a brewery. From what I gather, they are already making beer, they just don't have the money for everything yet. There's also the Tap House opening at Heritage Station and another local bar being reorganized into the Huntington Ale House. Here's some info on this:

https://www.facebook.com/BrewtalBrewery

Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,099,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I will say this, I hope that if they do open a microbrewery, that they don't make it anything like the one in Charleston. That one leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to food and atmosphere. The beer is good, but the layout of the place is very strange.

Huntington is a very good market for one. Hopefully if one goes it, it will have more of an open floor plan, have at least some form of music or tv, and good visibility of the kettles and process.
Many microbreweries do well in rural locations in states with less population density than WV.

WV does not have a good microbrew scene. It has some good ones but not many. I am not sure what drives them to form.

Anyway, market is irrelevant if the beer isnt good, it isnt properly managed, etc. The microbrew industry is doing quite well though. Perhaps the state should create new incentives to locate in WV.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,296,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Many microbreweries do well in rural locations in states with less population density than WV.

WV does not have a good microbrew scene. It has some good ones but not many. I am not sure what drives them to form.

Anyway, market is irrelevant if the beer isnt good, it isnt properly managed, etc. The microbrew industry is doing quite well though. Perhaps the state should create new incentives to locate in WV.
That does sound like a good idea. Hopefully whoever gets thier foot in the door first in Huntington will do it up right.

And Tim, that Tap House sounds like a good start. I hope it opens soon. Heritage Station has a lot of upside and this will only make it more appealing.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 PM

Beer mapping project cool microbrewery maps.

Does WV have beter selection yet? When I was there they had more generic microbrews like Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat, Great Lakes, etc.

They get Dogfish yet or Stone? Southern Tier, Elysium, Troegs, etc.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:33 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,256,549 times
I have seen Dogfish in some grocery stores and restaurants.

The generic microbrews you mentioned are pretty good, better than most of the swill from Budweiser and Miller/Coors.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I have seen Dogfish in some grocery stores and restaurants.

The generic microbrews you mentioned are pretty good, better than most of the swill from Budweiser and Miller/Coors.
Anything is better than them, and I never said those beers earlier were bad. Just common.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 AM

11 posts, read 15,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I too keep hearing rumblings about a local brewery. At the very least, I would imagine the Mountain State Brewing Co. has some interest after the Rails and Ales festival.

There is a group of local guys currently attempting to get the support to open a brewery. From what I gather, they are already making beer, they just don't have the money for everything yet. There's also the Tap House opening at Heritage Station and another local bar being reorganized into the Huntington Ale House. Here's some info on this:

https://www.facebook.com/BrewtalBrewery
Mountain State would be the ideal choice to set up shop.Would love to see them go into the Uno's building, if and when it comes available

I remember seeing that article on Brewtal, sounds like they are trying to head in that direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington