Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 08:50 AM

65 posts, read 89,521 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Currently I live in Lansing, MI, and have been intending to move to Huntington/Barboursville, WV. From reading reports and looking into portrays of Huntington, I can not make sense of the idea that some purport stating that the population of Huntington is largely unhealthy and depressed (large use of anti-depressants), etc. At first it seems an ideal place to live, with great weather: mild winter and not too hot a summer either; the least likely part of the northeast to have tornados and severe weather systems in general; lower cost of living; and last but not least the area portrays such beautiful scenery and landscape.

I am leaning towards a place close to the main Mall in Barboursville. It seems that it is not in the Barbourville's city/village limits/proper but on its outskirts, more precisely on Wildcat Rd. Would that be considered a good place to live? It seems a very natural area, so I was also considering wild animals that may pose a nuisance or even personal threat. Would that be considered a safer area in terms of criminiality?

Thanks for any insights.
tk3000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,051,463 times
tk3000,

Barboursville is a great little town, and has very little crime. As for wild animals that may pose a nuisance, you may encounter a raccoon that likes to sift through your trash if it is not kept enclosed, or the family of deer that enjoy a snack from your fruit trees. But there really isn't anything i would consider a personal thread or a problem.

TBailey and other posters might be able to give you more specifics on living there and where to live. If you have more questions just ask.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:51 AM

941 posts, read 1,346,475 times
I think that you have picked a great location. Everything that you will ever need is located in Barboursville and any extracurricular activities located in downtown Huntington are only about a 10-15 minute drive away. Also, take what you hear and/or read negative about the town with a grain of salt. Most people who come and visit Huntington fall in live with it, as I am confident that you will soon find out.

Oh and to add to what Silk said, don't forget about the opossums that will be hanging out around your home with the raccoons. Those things have been known to venture all the way into downtown and go on garbage raids. Hahaha. Though if you use a garbage can, then you will have no issues with them.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,830,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk3000 View Post
Hello,

Currently I live in Lansing, MI, and have been intending to move to Huntington/Barboursville, WV. From reading reports and looking into portrays of Huntington, I can not make sense of the idea that some purport stating that the population of Huntington is largely unhealthy and depressed (large use of anti-depressants), etc. At first it seems an ideal place to live, with great weather: mild winter and not too hot a summer either; the least likely part of the northeast to have tornados and severe weather systems in general; lower cost of living; and last but not least the area portrays such beautiful scenery and landscape.

I am leaning towards a place close to the main Mall in Barboursville. It seems that it is not in the Barbourville's city/village limits/proper but on its outskirts, more precisely on Wildcat Rd. Would that be considered a good place to live? It seems a very natural area, so I was also considering wild animals that may pose a nuisance or even personal threat. Would that be considered a safer area in terms of criminiality?

Thanks for any insights.
tk3000
Just because a large number of people in the area are depressed and unhappy doesnt mean you have to be. There is surely people who are the exception to the rule, and easily you could be one of these people.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:11 PM

4,932 posts, read 8,880,544 times
Barboursville is a nice place to live if you are looking for convenience but living in a smaller town with a more rural feel on the fringes. I grew up on Mud River Rd, which Wild Cat rd branches off of. It is a nice area with some nice new subdivisions but with good convenience due to being located next to exit 18 and the Target development. The biggest thing to worry about with regards to animals in the area is nuisance animals as mentioned above. There are supposedly wild cats in the area, hence the name, but in all of my time playing in the woods when I was younger, I never encountered one. I have heard some people say that coyotes seem to be moving into the area, but again, I have never encountered one. The biggest thing to look out for in that area is flooding. The Mud River runs by the entrance to that area and can sometimes rise enough to block the road in late winter/early spring. Be wary of houses on lower land for that reason as well.

With regards to the negative rankings, the Huntington MSA is one of the smaller MSAs in one of the most rural states. Unfortunately, people one the fringes don't always have easy access to parks, gyms, good healthcare etc which can lead to some of these things. If you visit, the image that you have in your mind will likely not match what you see. Strides are being made in these areas though so hopefully we will end up better in the long run.

This is a great area to live in and I think you will like it here. Let me be the first to say welcome and let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim

Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 PM

65 posts, read 89,521 times
Thanks a lot for all your great inputs!

Silkdashocker, PynballWyz: Yep, I am excited about moving there! From the outset it looks like a beautiful and nifty village in a great location!

tbailey1138, cryhavoc: The association of not well serviced spread rural areas (in which likely the income level of the inhabitants are lower) with mental health issues makes a lot of sense. But I am really concerned with the fact that the property I am interested in may be locate on a flood plan and otherwise be subject to flood damage. I heard about the devastating floods of 1985 in WV; did it affect Huntington and Barboursville? I went to fema's website looking for info about the spot the property is located, but could not find conclusive data (maybe my ignorance). The following is the property I am interested in: "6978 Wildcat Rd, Barboursville, WV 25504. It is a 1.3 acre lot, and has a septic system and water well. Are you familiar with that particular location, does it seem like it prone to be affected by floods?

Old 09-05-2013, 06:22 AM

4,932 posts, read 8,880,544 times
That property looks to be out of the area that floods but you might have 1 or 2 times a year when the access road floods. Here's a WV site for flood maps that might help.

WV Flood Tool

The 1985 flood affected mostly northern WV. Here, it was the 1937 flood that was a big deal. Huntington has a flood wall now because of that flood.

e-WV | Flood of 1985

Old 09-11-2013, 06:58 AM

747 posts, read 1,674,443 times
If you have to live in wv then barboursville is the place to be. It's where I lived before I moved to sc. My husband's mom used to live on wildcat road and I have a uncle on mud river. I lived do know that my uncle has trouble with flooding in that area from time to time, so you may want to watch out for that.Barboursville is. A nice little place to live with a low crime rate, newer housing and you have every thing you need around you. When we lived in bville we did have lots of wildlife which included deer, foxes, and coons. If you take your trash out after dark watch for the coons. I lived there for three years if you need any other info on barboursville let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington