U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,096,494 times

Advertisements

A tall holiday inn is an odd thing to be hoping for. I want Huntington to thrive but a holiday inn is really not something most people hope for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 12:28 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,255,098 times
I agree about the flood wall. Since the Corps of Engineers have a large building in Huntington, it would be nice to see them involved with a solution like the invisible flood wall idea.

I like the idea of connecting the Big Sandy Arena with Pullman. The conference center located in the Arena could be replaced with one that is larger and even with a 2nd floor. Combine that with an overhead pedestrian crossing to the existing Holiday Inn or even a larger hotel built on the same land. If the demand can be grown, then there is always the option of building a larger hotel.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:52 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,852,052 times
With the new Riverfront plan, they want to widen the current openings at 10th and 12th streets and then add a new entrance at 8th street. They also plan to put in a pedestrian bridge to the Riverfront connecting into the west garage at Pullman.

In my opinion, if the buildings currently downtown are fully utilized and new apartment buildings are built, then the other things like new business offices and hotels will follow. It's the typical progression. We definitely need to fill in some of the missing storefronts downtown by putting buildings back into some of the current parking lots with garages in the back half. Build our density up higher and improve parking at the same time.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM

4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
A tall holiday inn is an odd thing to be hoping for. I want Huntington to thrive but a holiday inn is really not something most people hope for.
Not necessarily a Holiday Inn, but just a high rise hotel in general. A Embassy Suites or Marriott brand would have been a better choice.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:05 PM

9,400 posts, read 11,458,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Most definitely the next best step! The Huntington skyline really needs to catch up to Charleston's.
Why, is there some sort of skyline competition in play now? The cities in our state are very different from one another in terms of character. Maybe the skyline isn't important to Huntington's identification? It seems to be doing okay with the current configuration.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 PM

941 posts, read 1,049,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Why, is there some sort of skyline competition in play now? The cities in our state are very different from one another in terms of character. Maybe the skyline isn't important to Huntington's identification? It seems to be doing okay with the current configuration.
I will apologize if I made that post appear as if skyline is important, because it is not. I was writing in an over zealous nature. Skyline appearance is purely cosmetic in my opinion. No true need for it, as there are plenty of cities with weak no skyline appearance and doing very very well. It would just be nice to have the extra density and it would look neat.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:36 AM

[quote=Chriscross309;31375123]Not necessarily a Holiday Inn, but just a high rise hotel in general. A Embassy Suites or Marriott brand would have been a better choice.[/QUOTEwater]

Why? Assuming it was a high rise it would just be a cheaply made boxy building. This attitude kinda takes away from this whole comeback point. Talking about how a generic hotel franchise isn't tall enough leads me to think Huntington isn't making a comeback. It makes it seem like a rural backward place that carea deeply about things that americans in real cities would never notice. Imagine going to a small town and having the locals getting excited because a wendies and an exxon was opening.

Anyway a tall hotel chain is not going to improve the quality of life or the image of Huntington.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:53 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,296,055 times
[quote=cry_havoc;31378979]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Not necessarily a Holiday Inn, but just a high rise hotel in general. A Embassy Suites or Marriott brand would have been a better choice.[/QUOTEwater]

Why? Assuming it was a high rise it would just be a cheaply made boxy building. This attitude kinda takes away from this whole comeback point. Talking about how a generic hotel franchise isn't tall enough leads me to think Huntington isn't making a comeback. It makes it seem like a rural backward place that carea deeply about things that americans in real cities would never notice. Imagine going to a small town and having the locals getting excited because a wendies and an exxon was opening.

Anyway a tall hotel chain is not going to improve the quality of life or the image of Huntington.
One persons attempt at humor makes you think negatively on an entire area? You are another poster that is entirely too consumed with the Huntington/Charleston metro.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 AM

[quote=Silkdashocker;31379099]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

One persons attempt at humor makes you think negatively on an entire area? You are another poster that is entirely too consumed with the Huntington/Charleston metro.
What are you talking about?

First off none of the posters represent the Huntington and Charleston area. If I did base my opinion off them my opinion of both Charleston and huntington would be small towns full of rubes. fortunetly i know this is not completely true.

Secondly what humor? People being excited about generic franchise is a fact of this forum. I wish it were a joke. You and several other posters are entirely too consumed with generic franchises. Im not putting it down i find it cute.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:27 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,296,055 times
You are obsessed with Huntington/Charleston and wish that you lived in Barbousville and everyone here knows it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington