U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:41 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,111,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
You are obsessed with Huntington/Charleston and wish that you lived in Barbousville and everyone here knows it.
I don't even know what Barbousville is other than it won sone reward by WV magazine but whatever you say chief.

If it has a waffle house or donkin donuts it is probably the best place in the world.

In fact now that I think of I heard a holiday inn might open in the Huntington and Charleston area, these towns are now UNESCO Wworld heritage sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM

46 posts, read 52,903 times
It's great to hear that Huntington is making a comeback. Truly a good thing!

Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 PM

4,990 posts, read 6,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieclod View Post
It's great to hear that Huntington is making a comeback. Truly a good thing!
Yes it is, I figure in time that population numbers will rise back to previous highs as well.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Yes it is, I figure in time that population numbers will rise back to previous highs as well.
At their current growth rate which is almost stagnant it would take centuries. Actually in 2012 Charleston had a negative growth again but it was very small, so it was virtual stagnant. For all intensive purposes Charleston and Huntington are virtually stagnant, with maybe slight growth for a year or two and then loss for a year or two.

This is a positive development as both areas lost a lot of people over the past few decades. Nobody can say what the future will hold. Perhaps they will be the biggest cities in the world, and the most important. Who can predict what will happen in decades and centuries from now? For the present and short term it seems they will stabilize and slowly improve and get better. There is no evidence of any real growth in either population or economics, but I feel the worst for them is probably over, at least for the next decade.

Anyway, I do hope they continue to recover. I wish they would do more to attract local business instead of chains. I also hope Charleston tries to restore downtown instead of building a boring faux towncenter like Huntington did. Huntington really messed up by building Pullman square when they could have tried to revitalize downtown and had a real downtown. Town centers are for suburbs that never developed a city center so they create a fake one. In that scenario they are an improvement but when there is a perfectly good central area that is being neglected they are a downgrade. I urge you as citizens of both cities to try and prevent both Charleston and Huntington from losing there character.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 PM

4,990 posts, read 6,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
At their current growth rate which is almost stagnant it would take centuries. Actually in 2012 Charleston had a negative growth again but it was very small, so it was virtual stagnant. For all intensive purposes Charleston and Huntington are virtually stagnant, with maybe slight growth for a year or two and then loss for a year or two.

This is a positive development as both areas lost a lot of people over the past few decades. Nobody can say what the future will hold. Perhaps they will be the biggest cities in the world, and the most important. Who can predict what will happen in decades and centuries from now? For the present and short term it seems they will stabilize and slowly improve and get better. There is no evidence of any real growth in either population or economics, but I feel the worst for them is probably over, at least for the next decade.

Anyway, I do hope they continue to recover. I wish they would do more to attract local business instead of chains. I also hope Charleston tries to restore downtown instead of building a boring faux towncenter like Huntington did. Huntington really messed up by building Pullman square when they could have tried to revitalize downtown and had a real downtown. Town centers are for suburbs that never developed a city center so they create a fake one. In that scenario they are an improvement but when there is a perfectly good central area that is being neglected they are a downgrade. I urge you as citizens of both cities to try and prevent both Charleston and Huntington from losing there character.
When you post, it is super obvious that you don't know what your talking about. For one both Charleston and Huntington have great revitalized downtowns. Just look right across the street from Pullman Square where almost every building now has been remodeled and has a store or business in it. The same can be said for Capital and Hale streets in Charleston despite the Charleston Town Center Mall a couple of blocks away. Also I said that in time Huntington will probably regain its population. I honestly doubt you have every spend any significant time in either city.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
When you post, it is super obvious that you don't know what your talking about. For one both Charleston and Huntington have great revitalized downtowns. Just look right across the street from Pullman Square where almost every building now has been remodeled and has a store or business in it. The same can be said for Capital and Hale streets in Charleston despite the Charleston Town Center Mall a couple of blocks away. Also I said that in time Huntington will probably regain its population. I honestly doubt you have every spend any significant time in either city.
Both areas are dead after normal working hours and on weekend and the downtowns are not lively. It is super obvious you are seeing what you want to see and not what is.

Huntington had a gain of what 30 people last year after losing 40% of its population over the last few decades. It has MAYBE gained 100 people since 2010, and that is being generous. To regain the 30,000 or so thousand people it lost it would take 1000 years, and that is assuming there is no further loss.

You can make all the personal attacks against me you want. I am not trying to put either area down. However, the growth rate is what is. Charleston is actually losing population, although it now very slight, and Huntington is virtually stagnant. I realize you are optimistic but this optimistic is based off no empirical process and blind faith that somehow some growth miracle is going to occur.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,865,872 times
Huntington has actually seen four straight years of small population growth. As I said, it has been small but you have to start somewhere.

And without Pullman Square, downtown Huntington wouldn't be what it is today. In some areas, something like that may detract from downtown, especially when built outside of downtown or even out of city limits. But Pullman spurred the redevelopment of the entire downtown core and took an empty parking lot and turned it into the largest movie theater in the state with several great shops and restaurants, many of which are local.

Huntington is definitely headed in the right direction. And to say it's dead after 5:00, that shows you have never been here in the evening, especially Thursday-Saturday.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Huntington has actually seen four straight years of small population growth. As I said, it has been small but you have to start somewhere.

And without Pullman Square, downtown Huntington wouldn't be what it is today. In some areas, something like that may detract from downtown, especially when built outside of downtown or even out of city limits. But Pullman spurred the redevelopment of the entire downtown core and took an empty parking lot and turned it into the largest movie theater in the state with several great shops and restaurants, many of which are local.

Huntington is definitely headed in the right direction.
Id agree with you if they had tried to develop those stores in existing buildings. I guess in Huntington's case it is a move in the right direction given the situation a few years ago, but in the long run it is going to be a negative development. Huntington didnt need pullman square, take that as a compliment. I see the potential in what it already has.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,301,928 times
Cry, seriously give it up. You don't know what you are talking about. I don't know why you even waste so much of your own time doing this? You aren't informative and you only bring negative energy. Ever see Debbie Downer on SNL? That's what reading your posts on here are like.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,301,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Id agree with you if they had tried to develop those stores in existing buildings. I guess in Huntington's case it is a move in the right direction given the situation a few years ago, but in the long run it is going to be a negative development. Huntington didnt need pullman square, take that as a compliment. I see the potential in what it already has.

You might be the first person in history that has said Pullman Plaza wasn't necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington