U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 PM
 
Location: 304
4,979 posts, read 6,538,647 times
Reputation: 1610

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

You can make all the personal attacks against me you want. I am not trying to put either area down.
Really? seems like honesty was never your strong suit either

why don't you stop being a troll on every positive thread made about any city "South of Sutton".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:35 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,101,193 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Cry, seriously give it up. You don't know what you are talking about. I don't know why you even waste so much of your own time doing this? You aren't informative and you only bring negative energy. Ever see Debbie Downer on SNL? That's what reading your posts on here are like.


If you have anything to add other than a personal attack feel free to add it. If you have no response to a situation you cannot disagree with then dont get angry with me for pointing it out. If you can show I dont know what im talking about and can show it with actual substance instead of mere statements of, "You are wrong because I said so," by all means do so. If you dont like my post you are free not to read them or not to even put me on ignore. If you want help doing this I can even assist you.

Im not being a debbie downer as much as one poster as very unrealistic expectations. It is like someone getting a minimum wage job at McDonalds and then declaring they are going to be CEO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,101,193 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Really? seems like honesty was never your strong suit either

why don't you stop being a troll on every positive thread made about any city "South of Sutton".
I dont know where Sutton is, nor am I trolling. If anything your comment that stagnant growth after decades of loss was somehow going to lead to a complete recovery from the loss is trolling.

Chris I am sorry but you have a habit of making ridiculous claims that are nowhere close to true, or being incredibly over optimistic when there is no need to be like someone buying one lottery ticket and then assuming they are going to win the lottery.

It is fair to say that Huntington, and Charleston will see growth. However, when you make statements like, "the growth will bring it back to where it was," you are setting both cities up for failure. You are taking away from a positive development and moving the goal post thousands of miles away taking away an easy touchdown. Cant we just all be happy both cities are improving without setting them up for some unrealistic goal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,812 posts, read 3,297,438 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post


If you have anything to add other than a personal attack feel free to add it. If you have no response to a situation you cannot disagree with then dont get angry with me for pointing it out. If you can show I dont know what im talking about and can show it with actual substance instead of mere statements of, "You are wrong because I said so," by all means do so. If you dont like my post you are free not to read them or not to even put me on ignore. If you want help doing this I can even assist you.

Im not being a debbie downer as much as one poster as very unrealistic expectations. It is like someone getting a minimum wage job at McDonalds and then declaring they are going to be CEO.
TBailey already disputed your incorrect statement that Huntington isn't growing. I believe it is your turn now to try to spin facts like you usually do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 07:58 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,101,193 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
TBailey already disputed your incorrect statement that Huntington isn't growing. I believe it is your turn now to try to spin facts like you usually do.


Instead of just trying to fight with me you should read what I actually wrote. I never said Huntington wasnt growing, I said it was virtually stagnant. It has had VERY small growth, maybe a few dozen people a year. For the actual census count which you seem to hold dear it rounds down to 0% or maybe in a good year they will have 0.01% growth. I said that Charleston had negative growth in 2012, and it did.

So Tim didnt dispute anything. He was agreeing with me CORRECT statement that growth was very small, but was saying the small growth is a positive development and in that regard I agree with him. Where we disagree is about Pullman square, and in retrospect after reading his post I feel that he is probably right and that so far Pullman square has been positive. In cases where the city center was healthy and thriving I would say faux town center like Pullman square would be bad. However, given Huntington's past situation it seems like it would be an exception. I still have my doubts about the long term benefits of Pullman square but for now I am actually going to agree with him that the effect is probably positive.

However, if I am wrong here by all means quote me where I said otherwise. It should be hard to copy paste where I said Huntington had negative growth.

Stop spinning what I said to try and make up arguments I never made and then spinning that made up argument you made. You are now derailing what was a positive thread to try and wage some personal vendetta against me. You have no problem with Chris saying that adding a few dozen people a year is going to lead Huntington to recover all of its population but you start making this thread negative when I point out that at that growth rate you are looking at approx. 1000 years for that happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM
 
Location: 304
4,979 posts, read 6,538,647 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I dont know where Sutton is, nor am I trolling. If anything your comment that stagnant growth after decades of loss was somehow going to lead to a complete recovery from the loss is trolling.

Chris I am sorry but you have a habit of making ridiculous claims that are nowhere close to true, or being incredibly over optimistic when there is no need to be like someone buying one lottery ticket and then assuming they are going to win the lottery.

It is fair to say that Huntington, and Charleston will see growth. However, when you make statements like, "the growth will bring it back to where it was," you are setting both cities up for failure. You are taking away from a positive development and moving the goal post thousands of miles away taking away an easy touchdown. Cant we just all be happy both cities are improving without setting them up for some unrealistic goal?
Why is Huntington getting back to 86,000 people (all time high) such an impossible concept? You think that just because something is growing slowly now, that it will always grow at that pace. You forget that even the center of the universe (aka Morgantown) once was stagnate in population. How am I setting anything up for failure? I'm just a young man who discusses WV topics on an internet forum. Whatever I say is worth a grain of salt in terms of future expectations for any WV city.

You asked me why I can't be happy with settling for the so called "easy touchdown", when you say I am trying the mile long field goal attempt. For one, it should be the other way around because going big would represent the touchdown, while your philosophy would relate more with settling for a field goal. with that being said, why not strive for excellence. There is absolutely no reason why Huntington or Charleston couldn't be successful cities. There are cities virtually in the middle of no where with success, and both of our cities have a reason for growth. One being natural resources, and another being no competition from other regional cities.

I don't understand why it annoys you so much that people have high hopes for this area. You obviously have some kind of grudge that you cannot let go of. Your hyper-biased opinion has polluted this forum for years now, and it is a unbelievable that you continue with the same slanderous and rude comments that you repeat every chance you get. It's a wonder if you even care about anything but yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,812 posts, read 3,297,438 times
Reputation: 501
How do you forget so quickly what you just typed? You said that Huntington will see small growth for a year or two and then follow that with a year or two of loss. I know what you said. It's just one page back and is easy to find.

The reason you were called out for being wrong is that the town has seen 4 straight years of growth.

And yes I do agree that Chris was a little over ambitious about the rate at which Huntington could reach its previous high. But I like where his mind is at. And he will be the first to admit it would be a reach to happen quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:23 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,101,193 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Why is Huntington getting back to 86,000 people (all time high) such an impossible concept? You think that just because something is growing slowly now, that it will always grow at that pace. You forget that even the center of the universe (aka Morgantown) once was stagnate in population. How am I setting anything up for failure? I'm just a young man who discusses WV topics on an internet forum. Whatever I say is worth a grain of salt in terms of future expectations for any WV city.

You asked me why I can't be happy with settling for the so called "easy touchdown", when you say I am trying the mile long field goal attempt. For one, it should be the other way around because going big would represent the touchdown, while your philosophy would relate more with settling for a field goal. with that being said, why not strive for excellence. There is absolutely no reason why Huntington or Charleston couldn't be successful cities. There are cities virtually in the middle of no where with success, and both of our cities have a reason for growth. One being natural resources, and another being no competition from other regional cities.

I don't understand why it annoys you so much that people have high hopes for this area. You obviously have some kind of grudge that you cannot let go of. Your hyper-biased opinion has polluted this forum for years now, and it is a unbelievable that you continue with the same slanderous and rude comments that you repeat every chance you get. It's a wonder if you even care about anything but yourself.
Chris, im just going off the current growth rate. You are going off nothing. Using your logic the opposite situation is true. Why cant Huntington lose all of its population and become a ghost town, it was losing position pretty rapidly for decades so why is that an impossible concept?

I am not really arguing that but im showing you the problem with what you are doing. You are playing the it could happen game and it is a game of make believe where anyone can make anything up. What is to say that Huntington wont have 86,000,000 people in 5 years, it is unlikely but it isnt an impossible concept? I mean while we are at it aliens could land in Huntington and cure cancer, while again very unlikely it is not impossible.

For reasons like this I dont go off WHAT COULD BE but rather analyze factors such as growth rate. Morgantown is irrelevant to this discussion. I dont see why you need to make every conversation City vs City, especially Morgantown vs City.

I want Huntington and Charleston to be successful too. I agree with other posters that they are experiencing success and will be moreso in the future. However, I have more realistic view of the situation. It seems more likely you are very upset with me about past arguments and now get very upset when I say something that doesnt completely agree with you. I am trying to let the past go Chris why dont you do the same? Lets start over and let's pretend I was a stranger saying what I am saying. What I said was not rude or unreasonable. Im being positive here in regard to both cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,812 posts, read 3,297,438 times
Reputation: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Why is Huntington getting back to 86,000 people (all time high) such an impossible concept? You think that just because something is growing slowly now, that it will always grow at that pace. You forget that even the center of the universe (aka Morgantown) once was stagnate in population. How am I setting anything up for failure? I'm just a young man who discusses WV topics on an internet forum. Whatever I say is worth a grain of salt in terms of future expectations for any WV city.

You asked me why I can't be happy with settling for the so called "easy touchdown", when you say I am trying the mile long field goal attempt. For one, it should be the other way around because going big would represent the touchdown, while your philosophy would relate more with settling for a field goal. with that being said, why not strive for excellence. There is absolutely no reason why Huntington or Charleston couldn't be successful cities. There are cities virtually in the middle of no where with success, and both of our cities have a reason for growth. One being natural resources, and another being no competition from other regional cities.

I don't understand why it annoys you so much that people have high hopes for this area. You obviously have some kind of grudge that you cannot let go of. Your hyper-biased opinion has polluted this forum for years now, and it is a unbelievable that you continue with the same slanderous and rude comments that you repeat every chance you get. It's a wonder if you even care about anything but yourself.
This, is a really good post. Well said Chris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 PM
 
Location: 304
4,979 posts, read 6,538,647 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
How do you forget so quickly what you just typed? You said that Huntington will see small growth for a year or two and then follow that with a year or two of loss. I know what you said. It's just one page back and is easy to find.

The reason you were called out for being wrong is that the town has seen 4 straight years of growth.

And yes I do agree that Chris was a little over ambitious about the rate at which Huntington could reach its previous high. But I like where his mind is at. And he will be the first to admit it would be a reach to happen quickly.
For the record I said that with time Huntington may reach its former high population.

Here is the exact quote
Quote:
Yes it is, I figure in time that population numbers will rise back to previous highs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top