U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,083,848 times
Reputation: 1758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
How do you forget so quickly what you just typed? You said that Huntington will see small growth for a year or two and then follow that with a year or two of loss. I know what you said. It's just one page back and is easy to find.

The reason you were called out for being wrong is that the town has seen 4 straight years of growth.

And yes I do agree that Chris was a little over ambitious about the rate at which Huntington could reach its previous high. But I like where his mind is at. And he will be the first to admit it would be a reach to happen quickly.


In other words you dont have a quote. Look Silk I am sorry but at Huntington's very small growth rate which is barely above 0% it would take hundreds and hundreds of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 PM
 
Location: 304
4,967 posts, read 6,518,095 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
This, is a really good post. Well said Chris.
thanks,

I just want cry to understand that life exists outside of Morgantown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:31 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,083,848 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
For the record I said that with time Huntington may reach its former high population.

Here is the exact quote
Yes, at the current growth rate, assuming it holds, in approx a 1000+ years. If you give me the growth rate for the past few years I can give you an average and can tell you EXACTLY how many years it would take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,804 posts, read 3,289,421 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes, at the current growth rate, assuming it holds, in approx a 1000+ years. If you give me the growth rate for the past few years I can give you an average and can tell you EXACTLY how many years it would take.
So can I.

I would think Chris could too. Or anyone on here for that matter. It's pretty basic math.

Chris, don't accept his peace offering from that really long post he typed. He is playing you.

I'm going to go watch the 2nd half of this Jets/Pats game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:42 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,083,848 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
So can I.

I would think Chris could too. Or anyone on here for that matter. It's pretty basic math.

Chris, don't accept his peace offering from that really long post he typed. He is playing you.

I'm going to go watch the 2nd half of this Jets/Pats game.
Silk, really I am trying to improve the atmosphere of this forum. That doesnt mean I will agree with everything you say but I am willing to really work to create a more positive atmosphere. However, you need to do the same.

Heck, I am even agreeing there are positive developments in both cities and they are getting better. Why cant you just agree to agree with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 PM
 
Location: 304
4,967 posts, read 6,518,095 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes, at the current growth rate, assuming it holds, in approx a 1000+ years. If you give me the growth rate for the past few years I can give you an average and can tell you EXACTLY how many years it would take.
But you are assuming that the growth rate will always be that low. I never even gave an estimated date. In fact natural growth should eventually kick in seeing how the city is no longer losing people. The population rate will increase because the natural birth rate in America is increasing. Another factor you leave out is the national trend of urbanization. People are moving back into the city all over the country. With the putnam county corridor filling up with subdivisions, people could likely return to the city.

I can play the "what if game" because nobody knows the future except Christians because it says so in Revelation. If I want to dream big I can because I have the right as an American. You telling me to not dream big and have high goals is simply un-patriotic on your part

And as for your earlier post
Quote:
I want Huntington and Charleston to be successful too. I agree with other posters that they are experiencing success and will be moreso in the future. However, I have more realistic view of the situation. It seems more likely you are very upset with me about past arguments and now get very upset when I say something that doesnt completely agree with you. I am trying to let the past go Chris why dont you do the same? Lets start over and let's pretend I was a stranger saying what I am saying. What I said was not rude or unreasonable. Im being positive here in regard to both cities.
I naturally don't hold grudges, but forgetting the history that you have on this forum would be highly foolish of me. I don't want quarreling, but at the same time I do not tolerate negativity. With that being said I apologize for my personal remarks. But I have to agree with Silk in that you have a unforgettable untrustworthy reputation that has spread across this whole forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,083,848 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
But you are assuming that the growth rate will always be that low. I never even gave an estimated date. In fact natural growth should eventually kick in seeing how the city is no longer losing people. The population rate will increase because the natural birth rate in America is increasing. Another factor you leave out is the national trend of urbanization. People are moving back into the city all over the country. With the putnam county corridor filling up with subdivisions, people could likely return to the city.

I can play the "what if game" because nobody knows the future except Christians because it says so in Revelation. If I want to dream big I can because I have the right as an American. You telling me to not dream big and have high goals is simply un-patriotic on your part

And as for your earlier post


I naturally don't hold grudges, but forgetting the history that you have on this forum would be highly foolish of me. I don't want quarreling, but at the same time I do not tolerate negativity. With that being said I apologize for my personal remarks. But I have to agree with Silk in that you have a unforgettable untrustworthy reputation that has spread across this whole forum.
You are assuming that the growth rate will be higher, and will remain positive. I am not saying this will be the case. I am just pointing out assumptions work in this nature. Some urban areas are growing others are still losing population. It is not an absolute scenario where every urban area will grow. A man can dream, but a man can also point out the basic math. Also just recovering the lost population is a small dream when you think about it. Why dont you dream of it being the biggest city in the world?

Anyway, Chris you forget that much of the negativity was caused by you too, and other posters. Espcially when I first came all you did was bash Morgantown. I dont feel there is a need to dwell on the past though. Im not sure how this all started but that atmosphere is what shaped my past interactions with the WV forum. My reputation is actually very good on this forum. Please look at my reputation points. It is much higher than most members of this forum including your own. Most of them are from the WV forum. While you and a few posters may not like what I have to say many other people do. In fact I only have a bad reputation with a very few posters. You are just unwilling to let the past be the past. C'mon this is an only an internet forum. Our past disagreements are not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM
 
Location: 304
4,967 posts, read 6,518,095 times
Reputation: 1599
Ok cry I am willing to work with you, but we have to set boundaries on this board if there is ever going to be "peace". These are the ones I suggest, but please feel free to comment on or improve on.

For one a poster should never attack a person's character. As humans we all are sinners therefore no one should be allowed to make jabs, direct rude comments specifically at certain posters, or be able to label people. Sticking up for what you believe or your opinion is fine, as long as you can do it respectfully.

Second, there needs to be a real effort to stay on topic on certain threads. Example: This thread is about Huntington's success and should not consist of NCWV vs Metro Valley debate. I am partly to blame for this, but lik I said We ALL are sinners and have fallen short.

Lastly, We need to remember that all positive things in WV are positive regardless of where in WV. All negative things should be treated diligently and as a group of fellow West Virginians we should discuss ways to improve those situations instead of debate.

Is this something that can be agreed on? I am simply a young man who loves WV and likes to see positives come from all of the state. Whether it's Morgantown, Huntington, Charleston, Martinsburg, Wheeling, Logan, or Elkins!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,083,848 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Ok cry I am willing to work with you, but we have to set boundaries on this board if there is ever going to be "peace". These are the ones I suggest, but please feel free to comment on or improve on.

For one a poster should never attack a person's character. As humans we all are sinners therefore no one should be allowed to make jabs, direct rude comments specifically at certain posters, or be able to label people. Sticking up for what you believe or your opinion is fine, as long as you can do it respectfully.

Second, there needs to be a real effort to stay on topic on certain threads. Example: This thread is about Huntington's success and should not consist of NCWV vs Metro Valley debate. I am partly to blame for this, but lik I said We ALL are sinners and have fallen short.

Lastly, We need to remember that all positive things in WV are positive regardless of where in WV. All negative things should be treated diligently and as a group of fellow West Virginians we should discuss ways to improve those situations instead of debate.

Is this something that can be agreed on? I am simply a young man who loves WV and likes to see positives come from all of the state. Whether it's Morgantown, Huntington, Charleston, Martinsburg, Wheeling, Logan, or Elkins!
Chris, I never made this thread about Morgantown or NCWV.

However, I agree that there is no reason to bring up other areas of the state when they arent the subject. This thread should be about Huntington and the immediate area around it. Likewise a thread about a church in Wheeling shouldnt include the EP. Unless it is somehow related.

Keep in mind I still dont like generic franchises. This is nothing against Huntington. I dont like them in Morgantown either. I feel that by accepting these companies in they are limiting any comeback by making the perspective area ANYWHERE USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM
 
Location: 304
4,967 posts, read 6,518,095 times
Reputation: 1599
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Chris, I never made this thread about Morgantown or NCWV.

However, I agree that there is no reason to bring up other areas of the state when they arent the subject. This thread should be about Huntington and the immediate area around it. Likewise a thread about a church in Wheeling shouldnt include the EP. Unless it is somehow related.

Keep in mind I still dont like generic franchises. This is nothing against Huntington. I dont like them in Morgantown either. I feel that by accepting these companies in they are limiting any comeback by making the perspective area ANYWHERE USA.
Yes you are most certainly allowed to feel that way about franchises. But some people on here (as you already know) do like it when their favorite brand of companies come into an area of WV.

With that being said, a lot of the positive things coming out of Morgantown are locally based stores and restaurants. However it seems to make the news more when a new chain (for example Chipotle) comes to the area. The news media knows that people enjoy national brands, so they cater their writing that way.

I would say overall the biggest improvements Huntington has made is in the conversion of older buildings downtown into new stores and eateries. Plus Marshall is currently moving their visual arts dept into the former Stone & Thomas Dept store. This is a great thing because this building needed the remodeling, plus it puts more young students in downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top