U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,852,052 times

Advertisements

Huntington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM

941 posts, read 1,049,836 times
This really sums it up well. Currently exiting the trough....

Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,296,055 times
Interesting read on the history of the fall and gradual rise in Huntington.

There is definitely a vibe in town that it was lacking 10 years ago.

I would really like to see a new high rise, full-service hotel locate downtown. The Pullman just isn't cutting it. When it was purchased from Raddison it sounded promising. But the only improvements that were made were Sleep Number Beds and a splash of paint to the exterior.

Something similar to The Waterfront in Morgantown would be excellent.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Interesting read on the history of the fall and gradual rise in Huntington.

There is definitely a vibe in town that it was lacking 10 years ago.

I would really like to see a new high rise, full-service hotel locate downtown. The Pullman just isn't cutting it. When it was purchased from Raddison it sounded promising. But the only improvements that were made were Sleep Number Beds and a splash of paint to the exterior.

Something similar to The Waterfront in Morgantown would be excellent.
Most definitely the next best step! The Huntington skyline really needs to catch up to Charleston's.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 AM

11 posts, read 15,652 times
I know the flood wall serves a purpose but for the love of God, that thing is a huge eye sore and really takes away from our city!It's almost like the river doesn't even exist! Would be nice if we could possibly remove a section of the wall that lies in front of the city and somehow replace it with an invisible flood control wall(they do exist)

Could you imagine walking around the city with a view of the river or even better, having an attached boardwalk to Pullman?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:00 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,794,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herdya View Post
I know the flood wall serves a purpose but for the love of God, that thing is a huge eye sore and really takes away from our city!It's almost like the river doesn't even exist! Would be nice if we could possibly remove a section of the wall that lies in front of the city and somehow replace it with an invisible flood control wall(they do exist)

Could you imagine walking around the city with a view of the river or even better, having an attached boardwalk to Pullman?
I grew up in Parkersburg. Now that's a depressing floodwall. I've always wondered what it would be like to look from downtown and be able to see the rivers.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdya View Post

I whole heartedly agree with this but that would take quite a lot of money. Also, the train tracks run right along the wall and would pose another problem. It would be very unsafe if high volumes of people crossed those tracks to get the park/river. As of now, it is at least controlled by having only a few entrances.

I very much dislike that floodwall and would be very happy if they could think of any solution to get rid of it. It would be nice to also have a road go from the east end of town to the west along the river, similar to Kanawha Blvd in Charleston. The views alone would be great along that road!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 AM

11 posts, read 15,652 times
Removable floodwall is being considered - The Herald Dispatch

Looks like we thought about it back in 2008.I'm sure it would cost an insane amount of money but I would think the benefits would out weigh the cost.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 AM

4,978 posts, read 6,535,031 times
Huntington has done a great job re branding itself. I agree that a nice hotel/conference center downtown is a need. They missed a perfect opportunity when they allowed that Holiday Inn between Pullman Square and Big Sandy to be built so "small scale". I would have found a way to connect Pullman Square with Big Sandy with some kind of high rise hotel.

Priority needs to be getting an alliance hooked up between Charleston and Huntington. We have a great opportunity to be a regional mecca for energy, retail, transportation, and healthcare. There is no reason that a two cities with the proximity that these two have can't work together to establish a new identity.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Huntington has done a great job re branding itself. I agree that a nice hotel/conference center downtown is a need. They missed a perfect opportunity when they allowed that Holiday Inn between Pullman Square and Big Sandy to be built so "small scale". I would have found a way to connect Pullman Square with Big Sandy with some kind of high rise hotel.

Priority needs to be getting an alliance hooked up between Charleston and Huntington. We have a great opportunity to be a regional mecca for energy, retail, transportation, and healthcare. There is no reason that a two cities with the proximity that these two have can't work together to establish a new identity.
The Holiday Inn should have most certainly been a high rise. I have been told by individuals that work there that it stays very full at most times of the year. Maybe if Huntington continues it's comeback, they will consider upward expansion.

I know that Mayor Williams is pushing very hard for more cooperation between Hunt-Charl. Expect to see more collaborative efforts between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington