U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 08:09 AM

4,153 posts, read 6,861,380 times

Advertisements

Program encourages a W.Va. hike to start 2015 | The Herald-Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 04:14 PM

941 posts, read 1,051,575 times
So I was reading what I think is the latest edition of the Huntington Quarterly and it was mostly about Mayor Williams, recent development in Huntington, and how the two are related. They gave a nice list of the projects and developments that he has either been or is now involved with. Most of which we already know, but there was something that caught my eye. In this list they mentioned the Harris Riverfront Park development that has to this point, just been briefly mentioned. It said that Mayor Williams,

Quote:
Is currently working with Superior Marine on a riverfront redevelopment that will include a new marina, dry dock facilities, a boat repair shop, a restaurant, a boardwalk and retail space.
We would expect something like this, but it just gives us a little better idea of what is happening. So I imagine that we are talking about a small "ocean boardwalk," but on the river. This could be really cool. I just hope that they are also working on access to it. I believe that opening up the floodwall on 13th street should be something to look into.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:55 PM

Nice find! I just kind of skimmed through that issue and totally missed that! I'll have to go back and do my in depth reading now. Here's the online version for anyone who's interested:

Huntington Quarterly - WIN 2014

Also, there's a new organization trying to make things better, What's Next Huntington. Hopefully some good things come out of this.

https://www.facebook.com/WhatsNextHuntington

Old 12-31-2014, 07:23 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,260,037 times
A small scale boardwalk area with a restaurant and some retail space is a great idea to compliment Pullman Square and the other downtown developments.

However, I think leaving some space available for an outside performance type area is important. I think a floating/permanent stage like the one in Charleston would fit in well in Huntington.

I also agree that opening up the flood wall is necessary to make this project successful.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Huntington Mayor Steve Williams hit the ground running in 2015. The mayor conducted a staff meeting January 1 with special guest and newly-elected Congressman Evan Jenkins. Williams discussed his 2015 vision which includes continued progress on the Northcott Court redevelopment project , River to Rail initiative in the West End (which mounted a significant number of drug arrests in 2014 under the River to Jail portion) , redeveloping Harris Riverfront Park (such as the Skateboard Park) , creation of high speed broadband of which Williams spoke during his Mayoral campaign, and redeveloping the property between Marshall university and the Highlawn neighborhood, which could include the ACF industrial property.
Huntington Mayor Imparts 2015 Visions | Huntington News

Old 01-02-2015, 01:12 PM

941 posts, read 1,051,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I always get really excited when I see these articles, thinking that there might be hints at something new or new hints on developing ideas. Nope. Just reiterations. Hahaha. Always a let down. It's a good way to build up anticipation though. Lol

Old 01-05-2015, 07:27 PM

Someone posted on one of the Marshall boards that the Riverfront Project is supposedly being bid out right now and they are looking for plans that utilize the invisible flood wall. Let's hope this is true.

In other news, Phase 1 of the Skate Park opened today:

Gallery: First skaters hit Huntington Skate Park | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 01-07-2015, 05:23 AM

Here's an article talking about the opening of the skate park along with articles about a new drum and bugle corps and another roller derby team.

Let's Skate, New Park Welcomes Visitors | Huntington News

Auditions Set for Newly Formed Jewel City Drum and Bugle Corps | Huntington News

Huntington's Rolling Thunder Dames Prepares for 2015 | Huntington News

Old 01-11-2015, 07:07 AM

Bicycle law standards | The Herald-Dispatch

Project looks to shape city's growth | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 01-14-2015, 06:25 PM

Park District planning monthly hikes in area parks | The Herald-Dispatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or