U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 03:14 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,795,666 times

Advertisements

PDF of the State of the City transcript: http://www.cityofhuntington.com/asse..._City_2015.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:22 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,575 times
Not sure if this really fits into this thread, because it's something that Huntington doesn't need to improve. I found this info-graphic showing the economic segregation of different cities (metro areas) in the US. The Tri-State Area (TSA; Huntington for those who don't know) is actually on the very low end of this scale. Meaning that it is, according to this study, very economically unsegregated. Hopefully, as Huntington grows we can keep this status.

Now they have broken this up into different categories, and the TSA was on the low end of economic segregation for all but two or three of them. I would suggest looking for yourselves but it's an interesting study overall:

http://martinprosperity.org/media/Segregated%20City.pdf

Old 03-09-2015, 11:03 AM

Huntington Mayor Optimistic Despite Revenue Drop | Huntington News

The article looks like it was written in haste and is a tad confusing, but it alludes to a few things of note:
  • The City is vying for (and expecting?) a $10 million economic development grant. I assume this would be for Harris. The author mentions a planning study as a tell-tale sign, and this is confusing. I would assume that the earlier $200,000 the City was seeking in environmental planning money from the EPA might be this. If that's the case, then the $10 million might be for ACF redevelopment.
  • There might be some announcement this afternoon at Marshall? Fed/state/local officials involved? I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere else, so perhaps there was some disconnect between the quote and the writing of the article. But, maybe there is something that we should be on the lookout for here shortly.

Again, it was somewhat convoluted but something is on the horizon, apparently.

Edit - Literally after I typed this, Ben Fields tweeted that the announcement was indeed the reception of the $200,000 grant from the EPA. Looks like we might have some news about projects on the ACF property and at Harris here in the next few months.

Last edited by elewis7; 03-09-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Huntington to receive EPA grant to clean up brownfields properties, launch advanced polymer center | City of Huntington

Old 03-09-2015, 04:06 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,575 times
This is a modest link for such a big announcement. Exciting stuff!

Found this link on huntingtonnew.net:

EPA Selects 20 Communities for Brownfield Grants to Revitalize Communities, Strengthen Local Economies | Huntington News

Quote:
The agency made the announcement at a press conference in Huntington, W.Va.; the city plans to use its $200,000 AWP grant to help launch the Advanced Manufacturing & Polymer Commercialization Center, a hi-tech campus that will develop innovative new technologies, create new jobs, and lead to the redevelopment of vacant and polluted brownfields on the Ohio River. The EPA grant will help the city build a 21st century advanced manufacturing economy.
Quote:

City of Huntington, WV - Anchor is Marshall U. baseball field; hub of sports centers, recreation and area for advanced manufacturing - 3D printing/engineering.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 PM

4,152 posts, read 6,855,022 times
This is great news! I think this will also be a spring board to a great many other things. If you look at the language they use in this press release and the things they are doing with this, I think it really speaks well for the America's Best City competition as well.

Quote:
“The Area Wide Planning Grants emerged out of the early years of the HUD-DOT-EPA Partnership for Sustainable Communities,” said Harriet Tregoning, Director of the U.S. Housing and Urban Development Office of Economic Resilience. “This year's awardees continue the tradition of comprehensive approaches to community-based problem solving and revitalization. We are thrilled to support our EPA colleagues as the agencies work in partnership with local communities in places as diverse as California's Central Valley, rural Washington, and the Bronx to build more resilient communities that grow our nation's economy."
I forgot to add earlier, it's great to see this project already taking physical space rather than waiting for the ACF property. That will make it that much stronger.

Last edited by tbailey1138; 03-09-2015 at 08:22 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 05:06 AM

More good quotes from other articles:

Quote:
"The application we sent in had the second highest of the twenty communities... we scored a 99," Williams said. He continued, "We have stated all along that there is an area of Huntington on the east side of Marshall University, just west of the Highlawn neighborhood that has been setting as a heavy industrial property for 142 years. The property has had active, productive use up until the last ten to twenty years. It is a constant reminder to us of problems that have developed from international trade agreements and international markets that have caused [United States] businesses to close."
Quote:
"There are great opportunities before us. The property between Marshall University and Highlawn represents a reminder [too] of recent failures. This $200,000 grant... puts us in the position where we do proper planning and that proper planning will bring assistance from other agencies," the mayor said.

The Rubberlite expansion would come through partnerships with Marshall University''s Engineering School and the State of West Virginia .

"We are seeking to encourage entrepreneurship," Williams explained adding the location would be of mixed uses ranging from light manufacturing to retail and residential.

"The property will be transformed in such a way that Huntington will be known as the transforming signal to southern West Virginia, southeastern Kentucky and southern Ohio," Williams said, emphasizing that EPA's choice to make the announcement from Huntington indicates "they recognize the commitment that we have."
EPA Planning Grant Step toward Revitalization amidst Huntington's Field of Dreams | Huntington News

So a very strong application with many strong partnerships. Thank goodness for strong leadership that has a vision, including former MU President Kopp who resurrected the engineering program at MU. Thanks to that vision, it appears that the engineering program will be a big part of improving our city and our state in helping with this Advanced Polymer Center.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:09 AM

A couple of other articles as well:

City gets $200K grant toward ACF cleanup | The Herald-Dispatch

Old factory gets new life | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM

512 posts, read 385,968 times
I did not realize the extent of the ACF properties. This is a very large piece of property lying on both sides of 3rd Avenue. Very exciting times ahead for the city, I can't wait to see the specifics of the plans in the future. Hopefully, the $400,000 EPA cleanup grant will also be approved to further jumpstart demolition and redevelopment of the property.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:07 AM

Keep in mind the City hasn't bought any land yet and that the $200,000 grant is for planning/engineering purposes only. Having said that, I wouldn't figure the EPA would fund such a proposal that wouldn't include hopes/measures of actually obtaining the property. That's a fair amount of money to throw at a pipe dream. Receiving the grant indicates a legitimacy to the project, which will allow the City to better work with property owners on selling the land or, hopefully, partnering with the City on the redevelopment. . Flint looks like they should be willing to part with their property (the parking lot to the east of 24th), which leaves Ohio River Terminals, ACF (Ichan), and McGinnis. The McGinnis property is mostly vacant with the exception of a couple of warehouses (which can be renovated and repurposed), so that shouldn't be a hold-up. ORT are already in the process of cleaning up their property, which is the mostly-vacant land from 25th to 27th Sts. I'd expect that, if they're already in the process of cleaning up the site, that they'd be open to contributing to the project. The last holdout, IMO, would be ACF/Ichan. But with this grant and the prospects of another $400,000 for cleanup, I suspect the City has something they're working on behind the scenes with all parties, especially with the hint of a multi-million dollar economic development grant down the road...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or