U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,295,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I checked out the PDF in the link, and i it appears they have really put a lot of thought into this project. It is very similar to the OKR's that Google and Intel use to accomplish goals. (Objectives and Key Results). It's really a simple, but efficient way to follow steps for getting stuff done. If they see this through, no doubt it will be a key step in improving the cities infratructure!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
Quote:
HUNTINGTON – A delegation of public officials and development leaders from Huntington has been selected to attend a prestigious seminar at Harvard University in March that will focus on strategies for the productive reuse and revitalization of vacant, abandoned properties.
Quote:
Acceptance into the Institute is a competitive process. Only nine communities were selected to attend the seminar March 18-21 at Harvard Law School. Home | Center for Community Progress
Quote:
Mayor Steve Williams said that Huntington’s acceptance to the Leadership Institute is another example of the city using innovative approaches to tackle vacant, abandoned housing issues. He cited the Huntington Urban Renewal Authority’s Land Bank and legislative reform that ensures fire insurance proceeds are used to remove dilapidated eyesores as work that already has been accomplished.
Huntington delegation selected to attend housing seminar at Harvard | Huntington News

Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 PM

Williams shares vision for Huntington at U.S. Conference of Mayors | Huntington News

Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 PM

Huntington selected to receive assistance from Smart Growth America:

Announcing the recipients of Smart Growth America’s 2014 free technical assistance | Smart Growth America

Quote:
“Smart Growth America is committed to providing the tools and training to help community leaders keep their cities and towns livable, sustainable and economically prosperous places,” said Smart Growth America Vice President Roger Millar. “We are excited about working with each of these communities to develop local solutions that support thriving neighborhoods now and for generations to come.”
Quote:
The 18 communities selected to receive assistance this year exhibited strong interest in and need for smart growth tools, and clearly demonstrated a commitment from local business, community and political leaders to implement local smart growth solutions.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:54 PM

Interesting stuff, it says they are funded through a Grant with the EPA. It does sound like a legit program. I do wonder in what ways, specifically they will be assisting? Their website is a little vague up front on what the program will be providing these selected communities.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,794,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Interesting stuff, it says they are funded through a Grant with the EPA. It does sound like a legit program. I do wonder in what ways, specifically they will be assisting? Their website is a little vague up front on what the program will be providing these selected communities.
Here's everything you need to know about the grant: Building Blocks for Sustainable Communities - US EPA

My guess is that they'll choose one of the Complete Streets, Creating a Green Streets Strategy, Land Use Strategies to Protect Water Quality, or the Smart Growth Guidelines for Sustainable Design and Development workshops. I'd guess the water quality one as it deals with stormwater management (a hot topic, as we all know) and the position Huntington has as a river city.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Here's everything you need to know about the grant: Building Blocks for Sustainable Communities - US EPA

My guess is that they'll choose one of the Complete Streets, Creating a Green Streets Strategy, Land Use Strategies to Protect Water Quality, or the Smart Growth Guidelines for Sustainable Design and Development workshops. I'd guess the water quality one as it deals with stormwater management (a hot topic, as we all know) and the position Huntington has as a river city.
Thanks for the link to the grant

I am sure it will be nice for the city leaders to have support when they need direction on these infrastructure improvements.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 PM

In addition to what elewis7 found, this was in the HD this morning:

Quote:
The city applied for the technical assistance to help in developing a strategy using smart growth principles to implement Plan 2025, to reduce negative outcomes from a combined stormwater and sanitary system, and to encourage quality housing and business development. The Huntington Area Development Council and Create Huntington wrote letters of support for the grant.
Huntington to receive free technical workshop | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 AM

The mayor had a new storm water proposal in the state of the city that would not require a start up fee. He is definitely finding ways to get things done.

Quote:
The mayor also said he will taking executive action and “requesting City Council to act where it is necessary” to combine the city’s stormwater and floodwall departments with the sanitation board.

No jobs will be lost, and employees will keep their seniority, he said.

Williams has been trying to enact a storm water plan in order to begin cleaning catch basins and deteriorated infrastructure that contributes to flooding and damage citywide during the mildest of rainstorms.

The plan has met with opposition because it would impose a fee on residents. The ordinance right now rests with the city’s finance committee while Williams works with a work group formed of community leaders to develop a new plan and rate structure.

The mayor said by combining the departments, the sanitation department will have the resources to begin some of that work with no startup fees.
Mayor proposes raises | The Herald-Dispatch

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/H...?device=tablet

Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 AM

Standard and Poor increased Huntington's credit rating by 2 spots, bringing it up to an A.

Quote:
"I couldn't be any more pleased," he (Mayor Williams) said. "This came as a pleasant surprise; I wasn't expecting this. There are a lot of things I know that we're going to be announcing that are positive to the city, but I didn't expect this one and this is great news.
City's stock on the rise | The Herald-Dispatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or