U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 01:58 PM

45 posts, read 60,038 times

Advertisements

if developers would use buffers to separate housing developments it would be conceivable that new housing could move into a rundown area using a street and having a winding sidewalk with 6 ft. grassed and tree planted dirt mounds backed by a fence would create a barrier the would look good from the street and create separation for the individuals living in the development. this is common in the areas of Charlotte where growth is happening. Getting some creative minds like the NC corp. noted in the HD article is paramount because the developers in WV just don't seem to want to, or can't get the backing to change neighborhoods by installing buffers and changing whole blocks at a time. People will move back into the city but there needs to be reasonable assurance their investment will not be lost over time. starting next to areas that are just starting to feel the effects of neglect, like in the 20t street area, can work. Four story urban apartments between MU and downtown would work I think, but again, the Mayor needs to see job improvement and that is what I want to hear more of. What is holding new business down so much. things here in Charlotte are busting at the seems and Huntington can't get any small business going other then retail items. lots of small businesses are just as good as one big one. JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 07:02 PM

4,154 posts, read 6,874,410 times
Huntington is setting a good foundation now for future growth. Problems are being solved with a multifaceted approach and millions in investment are being made in downtown. With each new investment, the town looks more and more attractive to potential residents and businesses. It'll take time, but we are getting there.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:26 PM

45 posts, read 60,038 times
Article related to my post above. This woman has a love for H-Town, wish I was in the area I would like to meet her.

Huntington group hopes to bring new look to Fairfield West - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Old 11-06-2015, 04:03 PM

941 posts, read 1,053,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4htown View Post
Article related to my post above. This woman has a love for H-Town, wish I was in the area I would like to meet her.

Huntington group hopes to bring new look to Fairfield West - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports
I think that this^^^ combined with the development on Hal Greer, really will create a completely new Fairfield West neighborhood in 5-7 years (as she said in the video).

Old 11-30-2015, 09:39 PM

941 posts, read 1,053,995 times
Looks like the council has approved the Riverfront Redevelopment plans.

Huntington, WV gives first approval to new downtown marina - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV

All I Want for Christmas are...Detailed Renderings!

Old 12-12-2015, 01:02 PM

514 posts, read 389,689 times
Looks like the Huntington City Council has a busy meeting planned for this coming Monday. The agenda includes the 2nd reading for the authorization of Riverwalk LLC for the marina and related Harris Riverfront Park facilities. Also included is a proposed amendment to the project plan for the Tax Increment development district at KineticPark, which would be designated as KineticPark Development/Redevelopment District #2. I'm wondering if the amendment related to KineticPark is related to the planned signage and entrance improvements as well as slip repairs, or if it is for some new development on the property?

Huntington's Council has Lengthy Agenda | Huntington News

Old 12-15-2015, 11:25 AM

The Riverwalk ordinance passed so hopefully dirt will start moving soon. I also hope they they include more recreational opportunities there like the kayak rentals many were requesting when they were taking comment.

As for Kinetic Park, it appears that the TIF expansion was for signage, landscaping and slippage repair. It would be nice to see them expand across the interstate though as that area is ripe for development.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:47 AM

1,576 posts, read 1,803,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Looks like the council has approved the Riverfront Redevelopment plans.

Huntington, WV gives first approval to new downtown marina - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV

All I Want for Christmas are...Detailed Renderings!
This one is the only thing that I've seen so far. I pulled it from the stream of the EPA/HIP/Brownfields day-long seminar last week.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:29 AM

514 posts, read 389,689 times
Here is a story on the Riverfront redevelopment:

Huntington, WV, approves development at Harris Riverfront Park - Business, Government Legal News from throughout WV

Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 PM

Huntington looking to add a vacant building registry. In my opinion, this has been needed for a few years.

Committee sends vacant building registry to council | News | herald-dispatch.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or