U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 09:27 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,091,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Although the city is not expecting a big uptick in revenue in the coming year, Huntington City Council members and city officials had nothing negative to say about the city's proposed budget during council's first budget session Thursday night.
This may be the first time in WV recorded history that no one complained about something...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 11:58 AM

4,570 posts, read 7,747,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
This may be the first time in WV recorded history that no one complained about something...

Personally, I was excited about this part. Hopefully this trend continues!

Quote:
. For fiscal year 2019, the city is anticipating the $5 weekly fee, paid by everyone who works within the Huntington city limits, will generate just over $8.2 million. This is an increase of about $213,000 from the fiscal year '17 budget, which Williams said reflects the addition of 770 jobs in Huntington.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:36 PM

People Powered Huntington announces full slate of upcoming walking, bicycling events | Recent News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 03-01-2018, 05:44 PM

Hal Greer underpass reopens with 'wayfinder' sign replacement | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 03-02-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
HUNTINGTON - The city of Huntington and Huntington Housing Authority have been selected to receive a Choice Neighborhoods Planning Grant of $350,000 for the development of a comprehensive neighborhood transformation plan in the Fairfield neighborhood. The $350,000 grant will provide funds to create an in-depth master plan for the revitalization of Fairfield. In a release Tuesday, Huntington Mayor Steve Williams said that having such a plan will better position Huntington to apply for the $20 million HUD Choice Neighborhoods Grant for implementation of the plan.
Huntington receives grant for project | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 03-06-2018, 06:05 PM

A nice editorial about the proposed Business Improvement District:

Editorial: Improvement district could build city's momentum | Opinion | herald-dispatch.com

Old 03-07-2018, 04:35 PM

A nice little write up on the renovation of the Elks Club Building:

Redevelopment Comes to the old Elks Lodge | Downtown Huntington

Old 03-08-2018, 07:13 AM

Study to examine possibility of W.Va. 2 bridge spanning Ohio River | Ohio News | herald-dispatch.com

Quote:
Commissioner Bill Pratt said the voters in West Virginia approved a $1.4 billion road bond project that could help move the project forward.
Someone should tell the Lawrence County Commission that's not how our Road Bond works...

Old 03-08-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Study to examine possibility of W.Va. 2 bridge spanning Ohio River | Ohio News | herald-dispatch.com

Someone should tell the Lawrence County Commission that's not how our Road Bond works...
Exactly! Not only that, but I can see no real benefit for WV other than maybe a slight uptick in tax revenues from retail. That would likely be offset by the loss of potential residents as cheap land in Ohio would now be more accessible. It would also be different if there was a major road in Ohio that this bridge would connect to in order to give WV residents some convenience, but there isn't. Otherwise, the building of this bridge would only benefit Lawrence Co Ohio and would be funded by WV. If the people in Ohio want more convenience, they can move over to West Virginia. This would only create a more car-centric society in this area with more unneeded roads to maintain. All one needs to do is look at the other quotes in the article to see where the benefit is.

Quote:
It would be up to West Virginia to build the bridge, but Ohio would need to pay for the bridge approach on the Ohio side for the project to proceed, Stephens said.
Quote:
"This is exciting," said Commissioner DeAnna Holliday. "It's very important to the progress of Lawrence County. Roads are so important" to economic development.
Quote:
"I'm excited about the project," said Commissioner Freddie Hayes. "I live two minutes away from where the bridge would be located."
Quote:
"If it's built, I see a boom in residential and commercial development" in the eastern part of Lawrence County, Pratt said.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Exactly! Not only that, but I can see no real benefit for WV other than maybe a slight uptick in tax revenues from retail. That would likely be offset by the loss of potential residents as cheap land in Ohio would now be more accessible. It would also be different if there was a major road in Ohio that this bridge would connect to in order to give WV residents some convenience, but there isn't. Otherwise, the building of this bridge would only benefit Lawrence Co Ohio and would be funded by WV. If the people in Ohio want more convenience, they can move over to West Virginia. This would only create a more car-centric society in this area with more unneeded roads to maintain. All one needs to do is look at the other quotes in the article to see where the benefit is.
Based on 2015 traffic counts, the only roads in Huntington that were above capacity (based on Level of Service, which I think is a poor metric anyway but I won't get into that) were a couple of short stretches on Hal Greer and 5th St, the West Huntington Bridge, and the Veteran's Memorial Bridge. So, based solely on that one could understand the need for another bridge. But no matter what, WV will likely have to pay for it.

Let's look at the location at hand. It would take congestion off the Veteran's Memorial Bridge, but to what end? To get Ohio residents to bypass US 60 (and the shops there) and get home. So WV pays for a bridge and loses tax revenue from it? Even if Ohio constructed SR 7 between Chesapeake and Proctorville, creating a northern bypass, it would still be wasteful. There's not a whole lot of development potential in that stretch, so it wouldn't really bypass anything (the other E-W route, I-64, easily has sufficient capacity). Now, if Ohio agreed to pay for half the bridge, then it would merit some discussion.

If the state were bent on a new bridge, a better location would be connecting South Point with Ceredo/Kenova. Extending US 52 to SR 7 would ensure the intermodal facility at Prichard having both the primary E-W highway connection (I-64) and the primary N-S connection (SR 7 to US 52 to US 23 at Portsmouth). That gives WV more incentive to fund the bridge while actually helping both states. I'm not convinced that another bridge is warranted, but this would be my preferred location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington