U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 11:32 AM

4,153 posts, read 6,864,483 times

Advertisements

City to focus on West End properties | News | herald-dispatch.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:44 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,261,290 times
Huntington's largest solar panel project underway | News | herald-dispatch.com

I hope this project motivates other area businesses to do the same.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:42 PM

It seems that many of the health improvement programs instituted in Cabell County over the last 8-10 years have had somewhat of a positive effect. Cabell County has the lowest obesity rate in WV according to the 2018 data. Also jumped up 12 spots in the overall Health Factors ranking which speaks to the future health of a county. Hopefully many of the other programs currently instituted yield positive results like these as well.

http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/...factors/11/map

Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 PM

Council to vote on study for proposed marina | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 08-13-2018, 08:35 PM

Why has it taken over three years to just get things moving on the feasibility study for this project? That's three wasted years. I know the city has had other issues to address but I remember the Mayor mentioning this project was needed to help revitalize the city. Personally, I'd given up on this project.

I remember the H-D had a series of stories, I think 11 or 12 years ago, about how other cities updated their riverfronts and how Huntington could use those examples. I know those were published during another administration but one still has to ask why the delay.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:07 PM

The article mentioned that the Superior Marine applied for funding using their own study but that lenders were requiring an independent analysis. I'd imagine the initial study took 6 months or so to complete, the applications were reviewed and it was then noticed that their own study was not acceptable. It probably has set things back about a year based on the likely time frames.

Quote:
City Manager Cathy Burns told council members during a Finance Committee meeting last week that the purpose of the study is to evaluate and analyze proposed plans for the marina in order to determine the overall feasibility of the project.

She added that the study is necessary to secure future financing from lenders and granting agencies.

Burns said a feasibility study was completed by Superior Marine, a partner in the project; however, lenders are requiring an independent analysis.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 PM

Forgot to post this earlier as well. All I have to say is finally! I'd imagine there will have to be some type of fee structure to make this self sufficient though.

Quote:
The ordinance aims to create a residential rental registry with general inspections procedures and minimum maintenance standards necessary to ensure that all residential rentals are safe, sanitary, free from fire and health hazards, fit for human habitations and promote public welfare.

The ordinance also authorizes the inspection of all residential rental units and established enforcement procedures and penalties for violations.

City Manager Cathy Burns said the ordinance not only protects the safety and health of the renters but also those living in the vicinity of these properties, as properties that are not maintained are more likely to become hazardous.
And let's talk about how sad this is as a state law:

Quote:
Huntington Fire Marshal Matt Winters said the ordinance will make it easier to inspect properties. Currently, if Winters receives a complaint about a rental property, state code prohibits him for entering the property.

Instead he has to call the health department who in turns calls a code inspection agent, but even then, those entities are limited in how aggressive they can be in addressing issues.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:08 AM

Big Sandy Arena to get a new color with some artwork by Don Pendleton as well:

Artist plans to put fresh look on Big Sandy arena | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 08-14-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Big Sandy Arena to get a new color with some artwork by Don Pendleton as well:

Artist plans to put fresh look on Big Sandy arena | News | herald-dispatch.com
Finally! I like the design and I know we all agree that this paint job is way overdue.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Forgot to post this earlier as well. All I have to say is finally! I'd imagine there will have to be some type of fee structure to make this self sufficient though.

And let's talk about how sad this is as a state law:

Every city needs a similar law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or