U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 09:11 AM

4,289 posts, read 7,077,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Driving past the Big Sandy Arena this morning, it appears they may be painting the exterior. Looks like itís going to be different shades of a light blue. Itís an improvement already.
Yep. Here's a link to what it will look like:

Artist plans to put fresh look on Big Sandy arena | News | herald-dispatch.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 AM

220 posts, read 160,717 times
Lipstick on a pig. I hope one day that Marshall and the city of Huntington can work together and build a proper arena that seats 12-15K

Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,352,977 times
I agree boredatwork, I'm just not sure where the money would come from to accomplish that goal.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:52 AM

New event space in Central Coty:

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...6f357cd81.html

Old 01-10-2019, 01:37 PM

43 posts, read 38,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork304 View Post
Lipstick on a pig. I hope one day that Marshall and the city of Huntington can work together and build a proper arena that seats 12-15K

More like removing the lipstick from the pig. It actually looks worse than before in person.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:28 PM

Once it's done, I think it will look better. It will stick out much less than it did before. The big issue will be with how well they maintain it.

It's definitely time for the City and MU to sit down together to start planning for the future though. The BSSA and the Cam are each pushing 40+ years of age and will need replacing soon.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,352,977 times
I like the new color much better than the orange.

I agree that the city and Marshall need to start thinking about how they can help each other with partnering on a new arena. We know Marshall will want the arena to be on campus but the only logical place for it is downtown. The restaurants and entertainment options are downtown, not on campus. Let's hope both sides can be rational and open to ideas, unlike 40+ years ago.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:51 PM

Looks like the HMDA is trying to buy the ACF property in addition to Flint Pigmint property and Ingraham Barge property. This is great news!

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/news...8a7516341.html

Old 01-11-2019, 10:33 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,869,662 times
Regarding the arena(s):

I happen to like the orange better than the new style, but that's just personal aesthetics. I do appreciate the added design, though.

A new joint arena, without knowing the existing volume of programming at BSSA, seems like a good idea. As noted, the current BSSA location is perfect for non-university events with its proximity to other entertainment. Any new area will have to compromise proximity to downtown and proximity to campus. So, let's meet in the middle. The block between 3rd/4th Aves. and 11th/12th Sts. would work as it's a bit closer to campus and would spur development along 4th. If needed, another garage could be constructed on the Mack and Dave's site, which could add additional retail frontage to that stretch of 3rd.

Another area would be 3rd/4th Aves. and 15th St/Hal Greer. This would require dealing with more parcels as well as tearing down some nice old houses (that need TLC, but still). However, this could also allow for the redevelopment of the Flats (and adjacent structures) for a new parking structure with retail on 4th. While being farther from downtown, this is still in an area with existing entertainment options as well as a plethora of redevelopment potential. It also would provide a gateway to campus from Hal Greer as well as a gateway from campus to downtown on 4th. The drawback here, though, is a lack of parking, even with the proposed structure. (Aside: I feel kinda dirty talking about parking needs this much!)

Thoughts?

Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 AM

220 posts, read 160,717 times
Well looking at the article about buying the ACF property, I think it would be a great idea if Marshall starts looking at an "athletic campus" where all of the facilities are close together. Maybe put baseball and a new arena right by the river or in that block just west of the football stadium.

Either way, it's going to be tough to get a new arena close to the on campus housing but I think that's ok. One thing Marshall and Huntington both need to learn is how to make Marshall sports into events. Not just a football game or a basketball game but an event for the entire family. For either to be successful it's going to have to be a joint venture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or