U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2013, 05:10 PM
 
1,575 posts, read 1,797,917 times
Reputation: 391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post

Keep an eye on South Point as well. I think that it will begin to show some good growth. It is the Tri-States center point and acts as a suburb for Huntington, Ashland, and Ironton. I'm not sure if this will ever happen or if anyone has ever thought about it, but I believe that a vehicle bridge connecting South Point to Ceredo-Kenova is something that will not only be beneficial to the area. This is long overdue.
I believe that a bridge from Kenova to South Point (by the railroad bridge) is in the KYOVA MPO long range plan, if I'm not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,051,575 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I believe that a bridge from Kenova to South Point (by the railroad bridge) is in the KYOVA MPO long range plan, if I'm not mistaken.
Ah you are very correct. After taking more time to look it up, it appears that not only do they plan a bridge between South Point and CK, but they plan a bridge from Proctorville to WV as well.

Maps
South Point <-> Ceredo-Kenova: http://www.wvs.state.wv.us/kyova/US5...20Corridor.pdf

Proctorville <-> WV: http://www.wvs.state.wv.us/kyova/US5...20Corridor.pdf

It appears that the new Proctorville bridge will cross the river right at the point where the Big Ben Highway is located. This seems as if they may be attempting to connect the recently completely Proctorville-Bypass with the Big Ben Highway, and thus the interstate. Good plan.

Also, you can see that it appears the completion of the Rt 7 bypass is still in the plan and not forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2013, 10:00 PM
 
9,408 posts, read 11,478,393 times
Reputation: 1507
This article points to part of the potential for oil and gas developments. There is already a disposal factory operating in Wheeling now, but much of the gas development will take place well downstream from there. Transportation wise, there is even potential for Huntington in the waste disposal process from this in addition to the industrial potential if they get better connected via WV 2 to the north. The alternative means all that activity will take place on the "Ohio Side". It would be possible to tie into all three... road, rail, and barge resources in Huntington.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...fracking-water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,106,333 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Is that the same guy from Clemson whose only purpose is to rag on people?
No, this user is a she who despises WV and everyone in it, apparently she also hates Blacks and Mexicans. I remember a few weeks she was talking about how she wanted WV nuked. I forgot what her deal.

Anyway, it isn't the same guy. She isnt a troll, this is them being serious. At least the Clemson guy is a troll so there is some excuse for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,581 posts, read 11,637,898 times
Reputation: 4003
I live in the Charleston area but I think Huntington will always have a future given that they have Marshall University and its student population. A major university like that is a constant employer and is generally recession proof. However the war on coal can negatively impact the area in terms of barge shipping, and I've read that the coal power plant in nearby Kentucky is shutting down due to government policies from the federal level. I hope both Huntington and Charleston can benefit from the natural gas boom that is happening upriver. Huntington has more major chain businesses than Charleston does, there are things like Waffle House, Ruby Tuesdays, Denny's that the Huntington area has but Charleston does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 09:53 AM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,106,333 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I live in the Charleston area but I think Huntington will always have a future given that they have Marshall University and its student population. A major university like that is a constant employer and is generally recession proof. However the war on coal can negatively impact the area in terms of barge shipping, and I've read that the coal power plant in nearby Kentucky is shutting down due to government policies from the federal level. I hope both Huntington and Charleston can benefit from the natural gas boom that is happening upriver. Huntington has more major chain businesses than Charleston does, there are things like Waffle House, Ruby Tuesdays, Denny's that the Huntington area has but Charleston does not.
Those chains hurt the city by driving out local business, sending the money out of state, and they create low paying service jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM
 
9,408 posts, read 11,478,393 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I live in the Charleston area but I think Huntington will always have a future given that they have Marshall University and its student population. A major university like that is a constant employer and is generally recession proof. However the war on coal can negatively impact the area in terms of barge shipping, and I've read that the coal power plant in nearby Kentucky is shutting down due to government policies from the federal level. I hope both Huntington and Charleston can benefit from the natural gas boom that is happening upriver. Huntington has more major chain businesses than Charleston does, there are things like Waffle House, Ruby Tuesdays, Denny's that the Huntington area has but Charleston does not.
There is no question that any city with a college in it benefits from that presence, just like a town with a state capital located in it, due to the recession proof issues. That said, any college has to understand where it fits in the scheme of higher education and act to maximize its own particular attributes. In my opinion, Marshall will not thrive as long as Steve Kopp is President there. They need to be paying a lot more attention to quality, and to taking care of their faculty and staff, and less to getting butts in the seats to appease local business interests.

For Huntington to return to the glory days, I think it must capitalize on its transportation assets. The days of heavy industry are gone in this country. Any city that does not realize that is stuck in the past in terms of thinking. Those good paying jobs have been ripped out and sent to cheap labor countries by the super rich and the government they control, and they aren't coming back. There is promise in place for light industry related to the oil and gas developments, and for Huntington there is better than average promise to make progress in the transport sector related to those oil and gas developments, if they act quickly to facilitate that taking place. It's nice that a few hundred Marshall students will be having lunch downtown, don't get me wrong, but that is not where the real future lies. You see, all that does is rob Peter to pay Paul. Those same students will not be having lunch someplace else that would normally be getting their lunch business. Huntington needs to act to insure they get their logical benefit from the oil and gas activity. If their leaders are too short sighted to see that, the city will miss the boat.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 12-16-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 PM
 
204 posts, read 146,138 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
There is no question that any city with a college in it benefits from that presence, just like a town with a state capital located in it, due to the recession proof issues. That said, any college has to understand where it fits in the scheme of higher education and act to maximize its own particular attributes. In my opinion, Marshall will not thrive as long as Steve Kopp is President there. They need to be paying a lot more attention to quality, and to taking care of their faculty and staff, and less to getting butts in the seats to appease local business interests.

For Huntington to return to the glory days, I think it must capitalize on its transportation assets. The days of heavy industry are gone in this country. Any city that does not realize that is stuck in the past in terms of thinking. Those good paying jobs have been ripped out and sent to cheap labor countries by the super rich and the government they control, and they aren't coming back. There is promise in place for light industry related to the oil and gas developments, and for Huntington there is better than average promise to make progress in the transport sector related to those oil and gas developments, if they act quickly to facilitate that taking place. It's nice that a few hundred Marshall students will be having lunch downtown, don't get me wrong, but that is not where the real future lies. You see, all that does is rob Peter to pay Paul. Those same students will not be having lunch someplace else that would normally be getting their lunch business. Huntington needs to act to insure they get their logical benefit from the oil and gas activity. If their leaders are too short sighted to see that, the city will miss the boat.

Good night, you are like a big freakin' broken record. We get it, you hate Dr. Kopp and you think Marshall should remain a teachers college.

I'm with you on the need to upgrade Rt. 2. I think you're out of your mind with your comments about Marshall. There is plenty of room for expansion at Marshall. The Pharmacy school and PT school are great additions to Marshall. I hope they follow up with a couple more doctorate programs and continue to expand research. Those things along with the new INTO program and the continuous growth of forensics are going to do wonders for the school and community over the next 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 AM
 
45 posts, read 59,916 times
Reputation: 26
cry-havoc, the problem is that there is a need for money to be placed into development. I think the hotels at I-64 and WV 10 are all owned by a Kentucky developers, and it seems that development money for new construction comes in from other states and areas. I don't know if this is because the Huntington Banks are so conservative or there is little foresight by locals with money, but the local population need to step up and invest into the area. (Don't get me wrong I know small developers are doing what they can but I mean people with millions to invest and there are some in Huntington) I would like to know what HADCO is doing because over the last year, except in the Kinetic park area I have heard little improvement. I realize they provided a large gift for the Marshall Arts Center, but what are they doing for the future? where are they providing new shell buildings or clearing new land. Silence is not golden and means little is happening.

The Mayor is likely the best in the history of Huntington. I liked the last one as well but Mayor Williams is working a foundation so as to create a city where people and business will want to come to. Someone must create some downtown business / office space and a 15 to 20 story mid-rise would work well. the building footprint can be moderate, i.e. it dos not need to be taking up a full 1/2 block but something to show what is really happening and how things are turning for the better. Small businesses need room to do research and grow. Where is office space for this to occur? Again, the government almost moved the Corp of Engineers because they could not find office space meeting federal specifications in a 50 mile area. Develop office that meet federal Specs. it would likely fill in the next 3 years because it is the only acceptable office available.

I really wish I had some large money to invest and start some things moving there It is a great area and with more clean-up will begin to attract new population even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2014, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,153 posts, read 6,861,380 times
Reputation: 768
I agree that Huntington needs some new buildings downtown to add office and living space and more retail space on the bottom. Hopefully as existing space begins to fill up, a developer will step up and build a new structure. The hardest part is usually getting someone to be the first one to give it a try. More now than ever though, I can see it happening in the next few years, especially if the building Marshall puts in at Hal Greer and 4th us successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top