U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:38 AM

941 posts, read 1,049,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Pynball, the new degree is a masters in computer science.

And guys, please keep the Morgantown and WVU stuff out of this thread. It has nothing to do with what Huntington will look like in 10 years.
Thanks. This state needs some strong tech programs. I don't know what school will fill that void but this is a start. I'm not sure if any other schools outside of WVU or MU offer this. Maybe MU could put some focus on material sciences and that would apply to all physical sciences and computer sciences. Or maybe a game design program or a tangent thereof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 12:25 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
Good link mensaguy. It just goes to show that results are what will help Marshall do more "serious research", not solely being attached to a larger institution that would likely take most of the credit anyway. Marshall is doing a lot if great research through the cancer center. I heard a doctor talk the other day about some of the trials that were progressing through the cancer center. He said they were among the few programs nationally conducting certain research. It was pretty cool to hear. Here's some of the fruit of such research.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hd-...ent-2014-07-10

And Pynball, you might be onto something there. Marshall's program was named as one of the top 50 game design programs a few years ago. Maybe they could build on that some more with some of these great new programs and facilities they are getting.

The Princeton Review's Top 50 Undergraduate Video Game Design Programs

Old 07-12-2014, 02:27 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
What was this new degree program? I can't access Herald-Dispatch's website because of their pay-wall. It also isn't showing up on their free app either, so I can't see it at all.
That's what I was saying... Tim, the HD articles won't post any longer. I find your postings interesting, and look forward to reading the links but you need to find another source because Reynolds (like the other newspaper publishers in the state) has decided that you have to pay to read them. I think the TV feeds are still free, maybe you could use some of those for sources?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:56 AM

10,265 posts, read 10,376,934 times
Quote:
What was this new degree program? I can't access Herald-Dispatch's website because of their pay-wall. It also isn't showing up on their free app either, so I can't see it at all.
I read all the links in this thread with no problem. Maybe H-D limits the number of articles you can read for free. I think the Charleston papers are doing that now too, so maybe it's just a sign of the times. I don't read enough of them online to run into that problem often.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I read all the links in this thread with no problem. Maybe H-D limits the number of articles you can read for free. I think the Charleston papers are doing that now too, so maybe it's just a sign of the times. I don't read enough of them online to run into that problem often.
Yeah I ran out of "free articles" within the first day. Lol

Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Quote:
Yeah I ran out of "free articles" within the first day. Lol
I think it's 10 articles free now, then get ready to fork over 75 cents. It isn't just Reynolds. They're all doing that now. We do have an abbreviated form short story version in Morgantown that capsulizes in short form some of the articles for free distribution, but I believe that is not the norm. You have to pay to read the full articles here too. The TV news feeds are still free though, so a lot of stuff can be picked up there.

In a way you can't blame the printed news folks for doing this. That industry is facing hard times these days financially due to internet competition and the like. The surprising thing is they haven't yet cut costs by getting rid of the dead weight like Upchuck, but it is what it is.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:19 AM

204 posts, read 145,559 times
So a quick update....

Any updates on the expansion and upgrade of Rt 2? It's been two years since anybody has posted on this thread and a lot has happened since then.

What about new buildings in Huntington? Of course we all know about the developments going on with the Double Tree and on 3rd Ave between 8th and 9th St. Any other rumors going around?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:27 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
As posted elsewhere, it sounds like MU is considering a purchase of the Morris Building on 4th Ave. It would be a total renovation for the Music Department to move into. I think that is the only option for that building.

Dr. Touma is about to complete the Third Ave renovation in the 900 block and the 800 block is moving along nicely as well.

The old BW3s looks REALLY nice with new windows and a stone facade on the bottom but I've heard nothing about what might go in.

Other buildings in that section of 4th ave are being worked on as well. Hopefully if MU buys the Morris Building, that'll spark more development in that block.

Fourth Ave really needs a new building somewhere between 10th and 16th streets for MU students and new businesses. the 1100 block would be a GREAT place.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
As posted elsewhere, it sounds like MU is considering a purchase of the Morris Building on 4th Ave. It would be a total renovation for the Music Department to move into. I think that is the only option for that building.
I'm not going to lie, I actually thought that they were considering redeveloping the old Emmons Apartment Building lot. I mean an old burned downtown apartment complex was mentioned. Lol

Quote:
Dr. Touma is about to complete the Third Ave renovation in the 900 block and the 800 block is moving along nicely as well.
Man, we need this block to be DONE! We've waited too damn long. I feel like almost anything could go in this spot. From a fast-casual restaurant, to commercial clothing store, or even a bank. Perfect spot for whatever.

Quote:
Fourth Ave really needs a new building somewhere between 10th and 16th streets for MU students and new businesses. the 1100 block would be a GREAT place.
This block has been my pet-peeve for sooo long. It literally makes me mad to walk through it. That lonely bar in the middle looks like a hillbilly's last tooth and that Goodyear on the corner makes no sense to me. I mean I will say that I have been inside that bar and it's actually nice and well kept, but it still needs to go. I'm sure that the Goodyear makes a killing and they love that spot, but it just doesn't vibe with the rest of the downtown.

Honestly, even the 3rd Ave side of that block is terrible. They have an Applebees in the middle of downtown and it's setup like it's in the suburbs and the same goes for the financial consultant offices adjacent to it. Such a waste of space. That entire block should be redeveloped. The city and MU want to connect Pullman with the Campus via the Old Main Corridor...well there you go. There it is; that is what you have to fix.

Okay...so I feel better now. Lol

Old 06-10-2016, 08:11 PM

73 posts, read 57,250 times
When I win the lottery, I am putting something like this on the Emmons lot:

New 3-Story Mixed-Use Project Proposed for Old Pasadena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or