U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:12 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
There is no excuse for Marshall not to be at least 10-2 or 11-1 at the end of the season.

At least in 2015 Purdue comes to Huntington. Purdue, Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota are Big 10 teams I would like to see Marshall play in football. Looking at those teams and their future schedules and open weekends needing opponents, Iowa and Indiana have openings in 2017, Minnesota has some openings in 2018 and 2019 and Purdue has openings in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
You know I think that Marshall should play UK every year. The crowd would be good because not only because Lexington is just 2.5 hours down the road, but UK fans will want to see a game that UK is more likely to win (since they are in the SEC). It will be a good game for MU on its off-years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,464,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
You know I think that Marshall should play UK every year. The crowd would be good because not only because Lexington is just 2.5 hours down the road, but UK fans will want to see a game that UK is more likely to win (since they are in the SEC). It will be a good game for MU on its off-years.
The chances of getting a Big 10 team are much better than an SEC team at this point. The BCS level conferences are moving away from playing mid majors, and the SEC has already issued an edict to the teams in that conference that they must all play at least one other non conference BCS (Power 5) level team every year for strength of schedule purposes since future playoff births will weigh heavily on that. The Big 10 has not yet done that.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:51 PM

40 posts, read 37,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Blatant thread hijack attempt. This thread has absolutely nothing to do with WVU. The topic is Marshall facilities. One thing I can assure you they don't want here is your personal vendetta against me, or your directly disparaging remarks about my city (the thread has nothing to do with Morgantown either). This is not a smack board, and since my threads have been read 4.5 million times on this forum while yours have been read a couple dozen, one wonders why you would even try to do this? This is not a place for you to air your personal grievance or dislike of me, and I no longer post on your smack boards. If you have some sort of personal issue with me from the past, send me a personal message and I promise to respond to you that way. This is not the time or place. Please get back to the topic at hand... Marshall facilities.
The topic at hand is not "Marshall facilities." The name of the thread is "Marshall makes preseason top 25 list." The fact that you're talking about Marshall facilities is a "hijack attempt," as you call it.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murox View Post
The topic at hand is not "Marshall facilities." The name of the thread is "Marshall makes preseason top 25 list." The fact that you're talking about Marshall facilities is a "hijack attempt," as you call it.
Right... Marshall rankings. It has absolutely nothing to do with WVU, Morgantown, or me but you keep trying to steer everything in those directions. That is the definition of hijacking. You're doing it on the other thread too, the one about Marshall facilities. There is a Morgantown forum where WVU matters are typically talked about. They set it up that way to avoid the kinds of situations you seem intent on creating. Their system actually works pretty well.

We often disagree about things on these forums. That is what discussions are all about. Except for the posts you have made, these discussions are respectful and not attempts to attack others. Also, you could find negatives to say about any city. We have a custom here of not doing that. If you are going to post here, I would hope that you do the same. When it comes to our cities, the general rule is that if we don't have something good to say, we don't say anything. The primary purpose of the forum is to provide information to outsiders seeking information. We all try to do that regardless of the city.

This particular topic is about Marshall rankings. I happen to believe they deserve their number 25 ranking this year. I said that before, but I'm trying to get this back where it belongs. It's a shame that with their weak schedule, we won't know if they really deserve it or not unless they get in a bowl game. I have a hunch you would agree with that.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:49 PM

4,152 posts, read 6,855,022 times
Phil Steele predicts Marshall in at #19 for the 2014 season!

Phil Steele

http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2014To...19Marshall.pdf

Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 PM

They might even rise above that ranking before the season is over. They are essentially playing all second tier teams, while those ranked above them will be beating each other up with inevitable losses. You won't really know how good they are until the end of the season, if they play a good team in a bowl game.

Holliday has always worked magic with recruiting, but it will be harder and harder for him to do that at a mid major in the future because the Power 5 leagues will be distancing themselves into a whole different level of competition and with new rules, the mid majors will be hard pressed to match them for recruiting purposes. In addition, the growing income disparity will put them at a huge disadvantage in terms of facilities and the like. That said, I do believe Marshall has the potential to be a dominant force at the mid major level, much like they were at the AA level a couple decades ago. That would probably hold even if Doc moves on to another opportunity.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
They might even rise above that ranking before the season is over. They are essentially playing all second tier teams, while those ranked above them will be beating each other up with inevitable losses. You won't really know how good they are until the end of the season, if they play a good team in a bowl game.

Holliday has always worked magic with recruiting, but it will be harder and harder for him to do that at a mid major in the future because the Power 5 leagues will be distancing themselves into a whole different level of competition and with new rules, the mid majors will be hard pressed to match them for recruiting purposes. In addition, the growing income disparity will put them at a huge disadvantage in terms of facilities and the like. That said, I do believe Marshall has the potential to be a dominant force at the mid major level, much like they were at the AA level a couple decades ago. That would probably hold even if Doc moves on to another opportunity.
Blatant hijack attempt alert!

CT, are you interested in the bet I proposed a few weeks ago that made you mysteriously disappear from this forum? The bet is as follows: I prove to you that the wvu IPF was wholly funded by WV taxpayers (and not bowl receipts from 5 years prior, as you claimed), and the loser pays $1000 to the winner of the debate. The money can be sent to a 3rd party forum participant of your choice.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,257,202 times
Combine the preseason ranking, with a 11 or 12 win season, a bowl victory and the opening of the new IPF and Marshall has a solid foundation for moving forward and improving over the next several year.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murox View Post
Blatant hijack attempt alert!

CT, are you interested in the bet I proposed a few weeks ago that made you mysteriously disappear from this forum? The bet is as follows: I prove to you that the wvu IPF was wholly funded by WV taxpayers (and not bowl receipts from 5 years prior, as you claimed), and the loser pays $1000 to the winner of the debate. The money can be sent to a 3rd party forum participant of your choice.
Thanks for alerting us to another of your hijack attempts. Here you are again, trying to hijack a thread. The thread is about Marshall rankings. It has nothing to do with any bet, or IPF. Stick with the topic please. Read the rules for posting here.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks for alerting us to another of your hijack attempts. Here you are again, trying to hijack a thread. The thread is about Marshall rankings. It has nothing to do with any bet, or IPF. Stick with the topic please. Read the rules for posting here.
So, no?

I'm going to hound you with this until you accept the bet. Or you can stop posting here. Your presence on the Huntington sub-forum is unwelcome. You come here to (pathetically) belittle Marshall and Huntington in your own subtle, passive-aggressive way, while hyperbolically promoting Morganhole and wvu.

This bet is to prove you have no idea what you're talking about. When confronted with facts, or the threat of eating your words, you cop the lame excuse of me not sticking on topic. I get multiple PMs whenever I post from people laughing at you and you running into hiding when I called you out the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or