U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times

Advertisements

Diverting this back to the topic and away from the hijack attempt that seeks to make it about me, as I said, I am not surprised by Marshall's ranking prediction. I believe it can be attributed to Doc Holliday's skill as a recruiter. He has been able to take advantage of C-USA's rules allowing for non qualifier recruitment and turn it into a recipe for success, and he definitely deserves the credit for doing that. I would be surprised if they aren't at least 10 point favorites in every regular season game this year.

I also want to say I believe Doc's skill as a coach in general has grown greatly during the past few years. That surely has something to do with the team's rankings too. Also, those rankings will bring added attention to Doc from others I would suspect. Marshall might want to keep the hand on the checkbook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:56 PM

10,257 posts, read 10,376,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Phil Steele predicts Marshall in at #19 for the 2014 season!

Phil Steele

http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2014To...19Marshall.pdf
Since I don't do much sportzing around, I've never heard of Phil Steele before. Is this an important poll? I noticed the AP somehow left Marshall off the preseason poll. Musta been an oversight.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:17 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Since I don't do much sportzing around, I've never heard of Phil Steele before. Is this an important poll? I noticed the AP somehow left Marshall off the preseason poll. Musta been an oversight.
Phil Steele is just a sports analyst and columnist who happens to be pretty well respected. The AP Poll is voted on by members of the associated press. All are just educated guesses though and the only thing that really matters is the real rankings throughout the season. It just bodes well for Marshall to be showing up on these polls because it shows that they are garnering some attention and respect rather than the alternative.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Phil Steele is just a sports analyst and columnist who happens to be pretty well respected. The AP Poll is voted on by members of the associated press. All are just educated guesses though and the only thing that really matters is the real rankings throughout the season. It just bodes well for Marshall to be showing up on these polls because it shows that they are garnering some attention and respect rather than the alternative.
I fully agree with this, and I believe they deserve the ranking. I also expect that they will at least maintain that throughout the regular season.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:28 AM

Coaches poll has The Herd in at #37

Quote:
The Herd received 27 votes by the coaching panel of 62 FBS head coaches, which includes six members of Conference USA. Those 27 votes placed them in 37th place.

Marshall's preseason ranking places it second among teams from the "Group of Five," which is the new name for mid-major schools in the new College Football Playoff format.

Being one of the preseason's top-ranked "Group of Five" teams is pivotal in the new format because it uses a six-bowl model that also includes a four-team playoff for the top FBS teams.

The top-ranked team from the "Group of Five" is guaranteed a spot in one of those six bowls utilized by the College Football Playoff.
Coaches rank Herd 37th | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 PM

Sports Illustrated has The Herd in at #25 on their preseason poll.

SI unveils its 2014 preseason college football Top 25 rankings - College Football - SI.com

Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 PM

Marshall comes in at #20 in the USA Today poll.

Herd ranked 20th by USA Today | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM

More top rankings for The Herd:

AP ranks Herd 32 | The Herald-Dispatch

Expert Predictions: Preseason Top 25 - CBSSports.com

The GoldSheet - America's #1 Choice

Old 09-28-2014, 08:56 PM

Marshall Thundering Herd holds at 30th in AP Poll - Word of the Herd

Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,295,385 times
They also moved up 2 spots in the Coaches Poll to #30

If they can make it through the season without a loss there is a good chance the Herd could be the Group of 5 choice for an at-large major bowl bid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or