U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:48 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,856,801 times

Advertisements

Marshall now ranked 26th in the coaches poll and 27th in the AP Poll:

NCAA Football - Amway Coaches Poll | USA Today Sports

The AP Top 25 Poll | College Football
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 03:26 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,856,801 times
Herd inks football series with Pitt | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 10-09-2014, 07:16 AM

10,284 posts, read 10,388,952 times
Here's the story from the Charleston Gazette with the other home-home deals included:

| Marshall, Pitt agree to football series

and here is the article from the Charleston Daily Mail:

Charleston Daily Mail | MARSHALL FOOTBALL: Herd agrees to home-and-home series with Pitt

I keep thinking that Marshall being able to schedule home-home deals with these schools is a very bright sign for the Herd's future.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,144,294 times
Looks like the Marshall Thundering Herd are on their way to surpass the declining Mountaineers as the premier college football program of the Mountain State!

Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 AM

9,403 posts, read 11,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Looks like the Marshall Thundering Herd are on their way to surpass the declining Mountaineers as the premier college football program of the Mountain State!
Now I just know you don't mean that. I can't imagine why you would want to make this Marshall thread about West Virginia, but power 5 schools often fill out their schedules with mid majors, and since Pitt already has OK State on their schedule for 2016 I have a hunch they aren't looking for any more heavy hitters the way their program has been trending lately. What will be interesting will be to see if Pitt actually plays in Huntington in 2020 or if that game is bought out.

Nobody disputes that Marshall is having a terrific year. At the same time, they have played Miami of Ohio, Rhode Island, Ohio U, Akron, and Old Dominion. There probably isn't a Power 5 program in the country that wouldn't be undefeated with that schedule. This Saturday they take on Middle Tennessee, and there is not a single Power 5 team on the schedule this year. I really don't think West Virginia is worried about being supplanted any time soon in our state. True enough, they have 2 losses, but they have both been against legitimate Top 10 teams and The Mountaineers play arguably the toughest schedule in the country.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 10-09-2014 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 AM

204 posts, read 145,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Now I just know you don't mean that. I can't imagine why you would want to make this Marshall thread about West Virginia, but power 5 schools often fill out their schedules with mid majors, and since Pitt already has OK State on their schedule for 2016 I have a hunch they aren't looking for any more heavy hitters the way their program has been trending lately. What will be interesting will be to see if Pitt actually plays in Huntington in 2020 or if that game is bought out.

Nobody disputes that Marshall is having a terrific year. At the same time, they have played Miami of Ohio, Rhode Island, Ohio U, Akron, and Old Dominion. There probably isn't a Power 5 program in the country that wouldn't be undefeated with that schedule. This Saturday they take on Middle Tennessee, and there is not a single Power 5 team on the schedule this year. I really don't think West Virginia is worried about being supplanted any time soon in our state. True enough, they have 2 losses, but they have both been against legitimate Top 10 teams and The Mountaineers play arguably the toughest schedule in the country.
Another way to look at it is:

You have two losses to Top 10 teams (probably more like Top 20 teams by the end of the year)

You also beat one of the worst teams in FCS and probably the worst Power 5 conference team in the country.

Last, you squeaked by the same Maryland team that Marshall beat handily just 10 months earlier.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredAtWork304 View Post
Another way to look at it is:

You have two losses to Top 10 teams (probably more like Top 20 teams by the end of the year)

You also beat one of the worst teams in FCS and probably the worst Power 5 conference team in the country.

Last, you squeaked by the same Maryland team that Marshall beat handily just 10 months earlier.
I suppose that's true in a way, but West Virginia still has plenty of opportunity to prove it's a good team with the level of competition they play. You're never going to be able to do that playing the likes of Middle Tennessee and Rice. But look, my point is Greystone shouldn't be wanting to make this about West Virginia. It's a Marshall thread, and we need to keep the focus on the topic here and try to keep things positive. If he wants to discuss Marshall vs. West Virginia, then he should start a new thread on the general WV board for that purpose (probably not a good idea since it would just lead to arguments).
Now, back to Marshall football... they are having a good year. I personally think they will be undefeated and actually get a good bowl bid. Doc Holliday is doing a great job there.

Congratulations to the Thundering Herd for being undefeated, and for being close to a Top 25 ranking!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:01 AM

204 posts, read 145,917 times
Quote:
I suppose that's true in a way, but West Virginia still has plenty of opportunity to prove it's a good team with the level of competition they play. You're never going to be able to do that playing the likes of Middle Tennessee and Rice. But look, my point is Greystone shouldn't be wanting to make this about West Virginia. It's a Marshall thread, and we need to keep the focus on the topic here and try to keep things positive. If he wants to discuss Marshall vs. West Virginia, then he should start a new thread on the general WV board for that purpose (probably not a good idea since it would just lead to arguments).
Now, back to Marshall football... they are having a good year. I personally think they will be undefeated and actually get a good bowl bid. Doc Holliday is doing a great job there.

Congratulations to the Thundering Herd for being undefeated, and for being close to a Top 25 ranking!
Well thanks for giving us all the rules of posting on this forum.

WVU does have a chance to prove how good they are. If Marshall keeps winning there's a real good chance they do too. Up to this point though...they are beating inferior teams exactly the way a good team should be beating inferior team.

On top of that our 2nd and 3rd stringers are getting a ton of playing time that will pay huge dividends in the near future.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:

WVU does have a chance to prove how good they are. If Marshall keeps winning there's a real good chance they do too. Up to this point though...they are beating inferior teams exactly the way a good team should be beating inferior team.

On top of that our 2nd and 3rd stringers are getting a ton of playing time that will pay huge dividends in the near future.
I agree with that. Doc Holliday has developed into a really good coach, and he has done a fine job with this team. I don't see anybody on their schedule who can beat them, and they will probably get a chance to play a good team in a bowl game which would be exciting for Herd fans. Some of those teams above Marshall in the rankings will lose as time goes on over the year, so I would expect that they will crack the Top 25 on that basis alone, regardless of the level of competition.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:15 AM

10,284 posts, read 10,388,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Quote:
Now I just know you don't mean that. I can't imagine why you would want to make this Marshall thread about West Virginia, but ....<snip>
Quote:

<snip>
Evergrey, there was no need to mention WVU in this thread. CTMountaineer tried to keep it on track. Bored's sarcasm about CT giving us the posting rules is noted.

Somewhat off topic, but necessary:
  • CTMountaineer doesn't make the posting rules. Everybody can go read the Terms of Service. Be sure and note the part about staying on topic. Please feel free to report any off topic posts. Although Yac is listed as the Moderator for WV, he knows I live in WV (most of the time) and read the WV forums regularly, so he's OK with some Moderator help when the need shows up. If I see something reported as off topic, I'll probably understand the problem better that somebody unfamiliar with WV. One thing I will not tolerate is Marshall/WVU fighting. I want ALL of you to report MU or WVU bashing whenever it shows up in any of the WV forums. Remember, don't reply. Just report.
Now, back on topic. I don't know how much each of you knows about history at MU. The struggle to rebuild the football program after the 1970 airplane crash was long and arduous. It took 14 years before they had a winning season, but Marshal has the record for the most wins in college football in the decade of the 1990s. During the 1990s, Marshall had finally developed past the limits of the old Division 1-AA programs, and rejoined the MAC, which they had left after the airplane crash so they could develop the program at the lower level. After they walked all over the MAC for a few years, they joined C-USA. Marshall has had a history of problems with coaches (for more years than most of us have been walking the earth). The move back to the MAC had already been announced when Jim Donnan left and Bob Pruett came in. Pruett succeeded in pushing the program forward, but ended his time at Marshall on bad terms because he didn't adhere 100% to the rules. Mark Snyder looked promising, but was never able to deliver, so the program took a setback. Now, Doc Holliday has got things back on track. The performance on the field this year shows it, and the recent announcement of those home-home deals demonstrate that MU can play with the likes of Pitt, North Carolina and Louisville. Otherwise we'd have seen home-away-away deals. With performance like this, Marshall will continue to play good non-Conference games and be invited to good bowl games. What more can we expect from such a small school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or