U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,295,385 times

Advertisements

CT I agree with most of what you are saying there. One thing though, how does this explain Miss St being rewarded so much for playing such a soft OOC schedule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:28 AM

4,976 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Mississippi State might have a soft out of conference schedule, but there is no denying that they still have one of the toughest schedules in college football and have beaten ranked opponents as well as only lose one game to a powerhouse team like Bama (at Bama) by less than a TD.

Marshall needs atleast one respectable team every year on their schedule, that way they can give them something to compare Marshall to against other programs. I'd say if that team in WVU, then that is what has to happen (noted note every year).

However Marshall should be a top 25 team in the rankings regardless, simply because they have played so well this season not to merit at least that!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:50 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
CT I agree with most of what you are saying there. One thing though, how does this explain Miss St being rewarded so much for playing such a soft OOC schedule?
Because MS State plays a very tough conference schedule. Teams in the SEC and Big XII, and to a degree the Big 10 play numerous top rated teams during the season regardless of their OOC schedule. With tonight's game, WVU will have played 5 Top 15 teams so far this year and only 1 of them will have been OOC, for example. However, if Marshall had even one team from a Power 5 league on their schedule it would give the raters something to hang their hats on by way of comparison. Saying MS State only beat Southern Miss by 49 points might not be relevant. A lot of that has to do with a coach's philosophy in terms of running up the score.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:58 AM

941 posts, read 1,049,836 times
Somewhere along the line the CFB and a lot of other people in this country collectively decided that MU purposely created a weak schedule to "appear" to be a better team. First, they can't help who is in their conference but it's the out of conference teams that are key here. MU did schedule Louisville, but then UL cancelled.

Also, there are some teams that don't want to play reams like MU because they will either likely lose money by not selling enough tickets (lack of interest), there is always that chance that they may lose to the "lesser" team (makes them look bad), and/or it may affect their potential ranking. So it isn't MU as much as it is the Big 5. Though their reasoning is sound, it doesn't change the fact that there is an unbalance here.

I think that each Big 5 should be required to play a certain number of teams from the Group of 5 each year. This give an opportunity for the Group of 5 to show how its stuff, and it keeps the Big 5 from being overly pretentious.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Somewhere along the line the CFB and a lot of other people in this country collectively decided that MU purposely created a weak schedule to "appear" to be a better team. First, they can't help who is in their conference but it's the out of conference teams that are key here. MU did schedule Louisville, but then UL cancelled.

Also, there are some teams that don't want to play reams like MU because they will either likely lose money by not selling enough tickets (lack of interest), there is always that chance that they may lose to the "lesser" team (makes them look bad), and/or it may affect their potential ranking. So it isn't MU as much as it is the Big 5. Though their reasoning is sound, it doesn't change the fact that there is an unbalance here.

I think that each Big 5 should be required to play a certain number of teams from the Group of 5 each year. This give an opportunity for the Group of 5 to show how its stuff, and it keeps the Big 5 from being overly pretentious.
Interesting, but that is not the direction of things. Power 5 leagues, right or wrong, believe they bring a lot more to the table and don't feel the need to share that with lesser programs. As such, they structure things to their advantage because they believe things should be structured to their advantage as a logical outcome. There is no way they will agree to be forced to play Group of 5 programs unless they do so by choice. Who would force them to do it? If the NCAA tried to do that, they would break away from that organization all together and develop their own regulatory agency.

They feel they bring more, and thus they intend to keep more. To them it is pure economics.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:31 AM

10,257 posts, read 10,376,934 times
Personally, I sincerely doubt that there are any authorities on NCAA football reading this forum.

Football schedules are made years in advance. Coaches can (and do) change between the time a game is schedule and the day it is played. Sanctions come and go. The quality of every team goes up and down. Players with great potential just don't work out. Great players get in legal trouble and end up kicked off the team. Walk on players that couldn't get a scholarship turn out to be stars.

I've seen the team play this year. Based on what I saw, I'm confident that Louisville is glad they cancelled this years' game and hope they don't face a team this good when they do meet. I'd venture to say people in Columbus are glad Marshall didn't come over for a game this year. People that DO know these things have said Marshall is playing as well as top 10 teams.

It's obvious that no C-USA team will get a playoff game, but it certainly does look like Marshall deserves a ranking in the low-teens in the Playoff rankings.

As of today, they ARE one of only TWO undefeated teams. If they should end up the ONLY undefeated team and still be completely ignored by the Playoff rankings, that will indicate a system that was broken from conception.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Personally, I sincerely doubt that there are any authorities on NCAA football reading this forum.

Football schedules are made years in advance. Coaches can (and do) change between the time a game is schedule and the day it is played. Sanctions come and go. The quality of every team goes up and down. Players with great potential just don't work out. Great players get in legal trouble and end up kicked off the team. Walk on players that couldn't get a scholarship turn out to be stars.

I've seen the team play this year. Based on what I saw, I'm confident that Louisville is glad they cancelled this years' game and hope they don't face a team this good when they do meet. I'd venture to say people in Columbus are glad Marshall didn't come over for a game this year. People that DO know these things have said Marshall is playing as well as top 10 teams.

It's obvious that no C-USA team will get a playoff game, but it certainly does look like Marshall deserves a ranking in the low-teens in the Playoff rankings.

As of today, they ARE one of only TWO undefeated teams. If they should end up the ONLY undefeated team and still be completely ignored by the Playoff rankings, that will indicate a system that was broken from conception.
I agree with this on all points. The schedule for this year was probably solidified 5 or 6 years ago before the playoff scenario was developed, and before the shifting conference memberships took place. There was no way to predict that the membership of C-USA would be as it is today at that time. In a way, Marshall is victim to circumstances beyond its control. They probably do deserve a ranking. They simply don't have the opportunity to earn one due to the schedule.

I believe one concern Herd fans might have at this time involves Doc Holliday's future in Huntington. He is definitely the master recruiter... always has been, and he is starting to attract national attention. Don't you think it is only a matter of time before he gets a high profile offer? Going undefeated regardless of schedule opens some eyes. That is obviously good for Marshall, but it might be even better for Holliday. No coach making $600 thousand per year can afford to turn a blind eye to millions.

One point about the system though. It depends on one's point of view as to whether or not it was broken from conception. The big boys in college athletics want a situation to keeps most of the resources with them, and they took steps to make sure that happens. It is broken from the standpoint of the Group of 5 schools, but it works just fine for the Power 5. The Group gets a bone thrown at them, and the Power 5 makes the money they feel entitled to keep. Is that better than a total split from the Group schools by the Power 5 conferences? I believe that was the alternative, and if there is too much squawking about it might that be the end result?

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 11-21-2014 at 08:43 AM..

Old 11-21-2014, 08:37 AM

416 posts, read 634,176 times
Marshall has beat everyone this year by an average of 31 points. Even for a weak schedule, that is pretty darn good. There is no solid reason why they should not be in the Playoff Committee's Top 25 and most experts agree from what I can tell.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrockills View Post
Marshall has beat everyone this year by an average of 31 points. Even for a weak schedule, that is pretty darn good. There is no solid reason why they should not be in the Playoff Committee's Top 25 and most experts agree from what I can tell.
Well, I know I certainly agree with you about that. But, the formula they use involves strength of schedule as a primary consideration, and Marshall's strength of schedule is among the lowest in college football. That is where they are taking a beating in the calculations. Colorado State and ECU have higher strength of schedule ratings, so even a loss is offset by those ratings.

I don't claim to have any answers here, but my hunch is the system is saying if you're going to want playoff consideration, make sure to schedule accordingly.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:45 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,295,385 times
Yes, good posts CT. I appreciate your objectivity in this thread. I think you nailed it with that last point. It does seem the playoff committee is saying "look, make our job easier by having at least a few respectable teams on your schedule".

It's a shame really. Marshall has always been good about scheduling tough OOC games. Of all years to have a snafu, this is just a matter of bad luck and bad timing. I bet Hamrick has worried himself sick over all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or