U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:29 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,509,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Yes, good posts CT. I appreciate your objectivity in this thread. I think you nailed it with that last point. It does seem the playoff committee is saying "look, make our job easier by having at least a few respectable teams on your schedule".

It's a shame really. Marshall has always been good about scheduling tough OOC games. Of all years to have a snafu, this is just a matter of bad luck and bad timing. I bet Hamrick has worried himself sick over all of this.
You're probably right there, Silk. These conference shifts have all the schedules messed up, and besides Marshall, this year there simply aren't any good teams left in C-USA. If Marshall had Virginia Tech or West Virginia on the schedule, and if they would have had a good showing against a team like that, then Marshall would have been impossible to ignore. A schedule that has Rice and Western Kentucky, with Ohio U. as perhaps the highlight game isn't going to ring the bell. They should be trying to schedule a couple Power 5 teams per year, even if they are one and dones, in order to get favorable consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 06:50 AM

10,353 posts, read 10,424,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Well, I know I certainly agree with you about that. But, the formula they use involves strength of schedule as a primary consideration, and Marshall's strength of schedule is among the lowest in college football. That is where they are taking a beating in the calculations. Colorado State and ECU have higher strength of schedule ratings, so even a loss is offset by those ratings.

I don't claim to have any answers here, but my hunch is the system is saying if you're going to want playoff consideration, make sure to schedule accordingly.
Where is this formula you speak of? I understand the Playoff Rankings are created by a committee. Without breaking any confidence, I'll just say that one committee member said Marshall isn't ranked because the guy assigned to report on C-USA thinks they are too inferior for consideration. I'm only talking about the Playoff Ranking in this post.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 AM

Here's a little fun for your Saturday. The Charleston Daily Mail take on the Playoff Rankings Committee meeting in the editorial page cartoon:

Charleston Daily Mail | Editorial cartoon for Saturday, Nov. 22

Old 11-22-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Where is this formula you speak of? I understand the Playoff Rankings are created by a committee. Without breaking any confidence, I'll just say that one committee member said Marshall isn't ranked because the guy assigned to report on C-USA thinks they are too inferior for consideration. I'm only talking about the Playoff Ranking in this post.
I don't believe it is an exact formula or anything like that. From what I can tell it is a set of guidelines...

College Football Playoff

I see what you mean about who is the reporters on C-USA as they include Condoleza Rice. But hey, it could be worse. They could have drawn Hillary.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:09 AM

I have no idea, and won't talk politics. For all I know Condi Rice and Hillary Clinton are both college football experts. I personally doubt it, but it COULD happen.

I figure it's pretty much a straw poll among the committee members, with all their personal opinions thrown in. As long as it looks remotely reasonable, it will continue as long as it benefits those in power.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I have no idea, and won't talk politics. For all I know Condi Rice and Hillary Clinton are both college football experts. I personally doubt it, but it COULD happen.

I figure it's pretty much a straw poll among the committee members, with all their personal opinions thrown in. As long as it looks remotely reasonable, it will continue as long as it benefits those in power.
LOL ... I suppose it could happen. I think you're right in that it is going to continue benefitting those in power. It's designed to be that way on purpose. If you look at it from their point of view, it makes sense.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:16 PM

4,154 posts, read 6,874,410 times
Marshall in at #19 in the AP and Coaches poll, now also in the CFP poll at #24. Hopefully they win big the next two weeks and move up in the CFP rankings. Glad to see them finally break the top 25 in that poll.

College Football Playoff

Old 11-26-2014, 01:29 AM

If Boise loses and Marshall wins their conference championship game, I'd think they'd have a good chance.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:28 AM

4,154 posts, read 6,874,410 times
With the loss yesterday, Marshall missed a great opportunity. This will take them out of the rankings for good.

Herd perfect no more | The Herald-Dispatch

Last-minute defeat leaves MU fans stunned | The Herald-Dispatch

Old 12-06-2014, 03:09 PM

With today's conference championship win, ESPN said Marshall will have their choice of the bowl games C-USA is tied in with. Could be in Hawaii or in Dallas against a Big-10 team. We'll see what happens in the next few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or