Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:57 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,745 times

Advertisements

One, I love that quote by Williams. Second, this is the same technology that was installed at the PRT stations at WVU a couple of years ago. I never really used except to try it out on my phone a couple of times, but that's not enough to know how well it works or not. I've heard it's pretty effective, though. Great news for the city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,081 times
Gigabit ethernet - if it's afforadable - will be a major factor in deciding whether we stay in Huntington. Our present primary home is in a Time Warner Cable area which gives not much better service than Comcast, so internet service hasn't played a part in our decision yet. Internet access is only one of many factors, but it's an important one.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:33 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
Hopefully this venture can be successful and that's the type of effect it will have. Something like this can definitely help keep current residents and businesses as well as helping to recruit new ones as well.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:20 AM

530 posts, read 589,259 times
Nice article on the efforts of the mayor/city bring a broadband fiber network to Huntington. He calls it an economic "game-changer" and I completely agree. It seems that the first areas of the city that they would like to deploy fiber broadband to are the downtown and the West End. They define these areas as the following:

Quote:
Williams said the two most feasible communities for the fiber network to be installed would be the downtown and West End areas. The downtown area includes Marshall University, Cabell Huntington Hospital, the Northcott Court public housing project the city plans to tear down and develop, and a 78-acre brownfield to the east of Marshall’s campus for which the city recently received $200,000 in federal funding to reclaim and develop.

The West End includes everything from First Street West to Camden Park, including an area around 14th Street West Williams said could be developed for industrial or retail purposes.
Charleston Daily Mail | Huntington mayor says fiber broadband “a game-changer for economic development”

Sure would be a major score for the city and I hope that they find success in establishing a public-private partnership and some grant money to get this done!

Old 04-30-2015, 10:08 AM

941 posts, read 1,354,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
Nice article on the efforts of the mayor/city bring a broadband fiber network to Huntington. He calls it an economic "game-changer" and I completely agree. It seems that the first areas of the city that they would like to deploy fiber broadband to are the downtown and the West End. They define these areas as the following:

Charleston Daily Mail | Huntington mayor says fiber broadband “a game-changer for economic development”

Sure would be a major score for the city and I hope that they find success in establishing a public-private partnership and some grant money to get this done!
You know I read an article some time back about Google Fiber (I haven't slightest idea where the article is though). They asked how a city could make itself more attractive to Google for such a project. They basically said to make it easier on them. They are looking into communities that are already taking initiative. They said a big step would be if a city already had the proper infrastructure in place. Let's not get our hopes up, but the city of Huntington could very well get a call from Google sometime in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington