U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,794,658 times

Advertisements

You hit the nail on the head with hitting all the buzz words. I kept reading the proposal and looking for anything like that; I lost count!

As for HRP, that seems like they've been able to keep it well under wraps since February. From that announcement, it looks like they will begin with the marina, dry dock, and repair facility, as that was originally slated as the first part. If they intend to start on the initial phase in the spring, the designs must be pretty close to done. Hopefully we should see those within the next month or two. Related note, does anyone know the firm working with them on the designs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 03:08 PM

941 posts, read 1,050,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I have no doubt that the economic impact will be there for the Riverfront but the projects listed will encompass/solve many more issues. Revitalization of distressed and brownfield areas, new housing, new jobs, etc. That's what I was referring to with impact. You can make a bigger impression with those types of projects rather than simply doing a massive overhaul of the Riverfront. Plus the other projects bring more community entities together showing the cooperative spirit needed to make the project happen and win the money. They hit all of the buzz words judges are likely looking for.

And it was like they heard us or something:

Development Projects Discussions on Monday Agendas of Council, HMDA | Huntington News
Haha well that answers my question! I kind of get nervous when I don't hear anything for a while. I'm super excited for this project. The retail and condo portion of it at least. Anytime, you have retail on the water, it's awesome.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:55 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,852,052 times
More on the Riverfront from the HD today:

Quote:
The plans call for a 260-slip marina, boat repair and retail shop, boardwalk with shopping, and eventually even condominiums as part of a three-phase investment.
Riverfront development deal heads to council | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 11-30-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
So there is an update on this topic, but I posted it in the other forum because it's more relevant there.

Huntington continues to seek ways to improve

Old 01-13-2016, 10:21 AM

45 posts, read 59,815 times
We are to hear something today at 2PM as I understand it. My fingers are crossed, lets keep moving ahead!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:30 AM

It's already been announced! Huntington made it to the top 15! They are providing more details at 2:00.

https://m.facebook.com/1338570966252...pe=3&source=48

Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 PM

Huntington is now in the Top 8 of America's Best Communities! Glad to see that they made it through! Now we have 11 months to make the vision happen. With many of the projects already well under way, I think we have a pretty good chance at the top three as well! Here's the presentation if you missed it. The video includes renderings for the Highlawn and Fairfield improvement plans.

[vimeo]164435176[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/164435176

Old 04-27-2016, 07:41 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,794,658 times
That's also another $100,000 to help the projects along (not to mention continued visibility from the media coverage). Having listened to a few of the plans, I think we have a real shot at the top three. I would say too bad we have to wait almost a year for that, but so much progress will be made on these projects that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Regardless of the outcome, there will be a ton of momentum to get these done.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 PM

I'm so anxious to know how they are going to use that money to progress these projects. Williams said it before, that Huntington is using 4 projects for the competition while many of the others are using just 1. So the $100,000 will go further for the competitors' project(s) than it will for ours, as our money will be diluted by a factor of 4. It will have to be spent VERY smart! I feel so confident that Huntington can win, but we have a long way to go.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:56 PM

Here's a nice write up on Huntington's win in the ABC competition:
Huntington in Finals of America

With the progress we've made on these projects so far, I'm not too concerned about the fact that there are 4 different projects to work on. My biggest fears are the potential impediments to pushing those projects forward that the city can't control.

For the Fairfield project, the Housing Authority REALLY needs to push forward with the demolition of the final buildings. Without a clean slate there, no plans can be started in order to get that project off the ground. Currently, the plan is to complete demolition next year but if that's the case, nothing much can be accomplished there to the detriment of Huntington's progress in this competition.

With the Highlawn project, we know that the ACF owner placed up a for sale sign and seems to be willing to sale but at what price? Hopefully they can at least proceed with the Advanced Polymer Center and show some progress toward that project. It would be a huge win if they could acquire the ACF property and start moving ground there.

The other 2 projects are well under way and essentially just need funding to progress. If the two hurdles listed above aren't overcome though, Huntington will have little chance of winning the competition as half of their plan will show little progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or