U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:29 AM

4,114 posts, read 6,791,839 times

Advertisements

Nice write up on the plans for the next 11 months. It doesn't go into a whole lot of detail but gives a general idea:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...123a965b1.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 PM

1,794 posts, read 3,272,073 times
While this is certainly exciting, I did notice that all the towns that made the finals are part of the Frontier footprint. And with Frontier being the main sponsor of this contest, that was predictable. So while it's not a true national contest, Huntington is still going up against potential cities from 31 states. I do hope they can win and see these projects to completion.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Nice update on how they are continuing on the projects for ABC:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...020a1facc.html

Old 05-05-2016, 10:41 PM

941 posts, read 1,040,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
While this is certainly exciting, I did notice that all the towns that made the finals are part of the Frontier footprint. And with Frontier being the main sponsor of this contest, that was predictable. So while it's not a true national contest, Huntington is still going up against potential cities from 31 states. I do hope they can win and see these projects to completion.
Frontier...hmmmm I wonder what they think of Huntington's broadband proposal??? Lol

Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Nice update on how they are continuing on the projects for ABC:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...020a1facc.html
Ugh why can't it be next year already!!!

I feel like these projects will be far enough along that the money we get, if we win any, will be more than we know what to do with. Or well...maybe I should say I feel like it will go to one specific project more than the others. *cough* Highlawn *cough*

Old 05-10-2016, 02:33 AM

1,794 posts, read 3,272,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Frontier...hmmmm I wonder what they think of Huntington's broadband proposal??? Lol
Alpha Technologies definitely beat them to the punch. The idea was first pitched to Charleston and South Charleston, (which is still in the works). However, Alpha caught word that Huntington wanted to become a Gigabit city, so they went straight to the mayor knowing that he wanted to make an impact in this community. Smart move.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:42 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,773,380 times
FYI, update on the Highlawn project: Public Meeting to Kick Off Highlawn Brownfields Project | City of Huntington

Old 05-12-2016, 06:35 PM

I'm excited to go to this! Hopefully there will be some new info to discuss and some more firm plans. It'd be even better if an agreement had been reached on the ACF property!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:02 PM

I really wish that I could be there and attend this meeting. I'm excited to see what they have in store for the brownfield. However, I will say that I have this recurring nightmare where redevelop the brownfield to be something similar to Pullman Square (not bad yet), BUT the backs of the new buildings are facing the community. So basically the new development has its back turned on the community, literally. They seem to want this to be well intertwined with Highlawn, but it's that kind of lack of thoughtfulness that scares me.

Anyway, in the Mayor's ABC presentation, he said that the Highlawn brownfields were suppose to be an extension of the neighborhood with a new urbanists point-of-view. If that's the case, then we have nothing to worry about, or at least I don't. I think I imagine a redevelopment similar to that of Portland's Pearl District.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Looks like the meeting didn't have any real new info but just trying to engage the public some:

Highlawn brownfields meeting fields public curiosity | News | herald-dispatch.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or