U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2016, 06:53 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,051,343 times
Reputation: 176

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Looks like the meeting didn't have any real new info but just trying to engage the public some:

Highlawn brownfields meeting fields public curiosity | News | herald-dispatch.com
Yeah the only new info that I got from that was the brownfield property in question is much larger than I thought. It said between 20th and 27th street on the river, which is basically where all of the tracks are located. That makes this much more interesting IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2016, 07:35 PM
 
1,575 posts, read 1,797,352 times
Reputation: 391
I was at the meeting, if anyone has any other questions. The expanded area is due to the nature of the grants. They take the surrounding areas and neighborhoods in context for a more holistic view of the property. The properties in question are still the same (Ingram Barge, ACF, etc.), but it includes much of Highlawn and over by WV Steel to more properly gauge the nature of the contamination, but moreso to assess the redevelopment potential and the effects of such on the surroundings, city, and region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2016, 07:11 AM
 
941 posts, read 1,051,343 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I was at the meeting, if anyone has any other questions. The expanded area is due to the nature of the grants. They take the surrounding areas and neighborhoods in context for a more holistic view of the property. The properties in question are still the same (Ingram Barge, ACF, etc.), but it includes much of Highlawn and over by WV Steel to more properly gauge the nature of the contamination, but moreso to assess the redevelopment potential and the effects of such on the surroundings, city, and region.
Oh awesome! So what sort of ideas were passed around during the forum?

And are the parking lots between 3rd and 5th avenues not included in all of this or were they even mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2016, 07:45 AM
 
1,575 posts, read 1,797,352 times
Reputation: 391
So, there weren't a ton of ideas thrown out; it was more of a presentation giving an overview of the planning efforts (a kick-off event, if you will) with a Q&A at the end. A lady did ask if there were plans for a ballpark, another asked what this meant for homeowners (nothing directly, but it will have a positive impact on the entire neighborhood once the planning and assessments are complete as it will hopefully lead to wide-scale revitalization), and another asked about properties outside the targeted area (This led to an interesting answer - the two environmental assessment grants, one for hazardous wastes and one for petroleum, are more geared towards the specified area, which is fluid in itself, but individual parcels outside that area can be looked at for their environmental history. Moreover, the area-wide planning grant focuses more on redevelopment potential of these properties, which includes their context in the neighborhood and city, so that part also is not necessarily limited to the specified area. Oh, and I do believe those parking lots are included, yes.).

Other than that, it was a introduction to the planning and assessment process and a meet and greet with the principals of the firm, subcontractors, and other stakeholders. There will be another meeting, or rather set of meetings, some time in September, and they're going to continue disseminating information and interacting with citizens regularly through the City website and a Facebook page (no timeline for that to launch).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2016, 08:35 AM
 
941 posts, read 1,051,343 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
So, there weren't a ton of ideas thrown out; it was more of a presentation giving an overview of the planning efforts (a kick-off event, if you will) with a Q&A at the end. A lady did ask if there were plans for a ballpark, another asked what this meant for homeowners (nothing directly, but it will have a positive impact on the entire neighborhood once the planning and assessments are complete as it will hopefully lead to wide-scale revitalization), and another asked about properties outside the targeted area (This led to an interesting answer - the two environmental assessment grants, one for hazardous wastes and one for petroleum, are more geared towards the specified area, which is fluid in itself, but individual parcels outside that area can be looked at for their environmental history. Moreover, the area-wide planning grant focuses more on redevelopment potential of these properties, which includes their context in the neighborhood and city, so that part also is not necessarily limited to the specified area. Oh, and I do believe those parking lots are included, yes.).
See I think that this is where I think that a ballpark would fit well. It's directly adjacent to the Joan and across 24th street from a neighborhood that could use a boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Other than that, it was a introduction to the planning and assessment process and a meet and greet with the principals of the firm, subcontractors, and other stakeholders. There will be another meeting, or rather set of meetings, some time in September, and they're going to continue disseminating information and interacting with citizens regularly through the City website and a Facebook page (no timeline for that to launch).
Lord knows that I will be all over that page when it launches! Haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 02:05 PM
 
204 posts, read 146,080 times
Reputation: 40
So is there any information out there about the intial expectations for the Brownfield development? Ballfield? Hotels? Retail? After the run the Marshall baseball team is making, I sure wish they had a 2-3,000 seat stadium right on campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2016, 02:11 PM
 
1,575 posts, read 1,797,352 times
Reputation: 391
There have been past proposals, notably for a baseball stadium and a hotel/conference center, but there are no definitive plans right now, save for the PolyTeCH development as detailed in the HIP plan. The environmental assessment grants will see what contamination is present and what the feasible courses of action there are to remediate the site. The area-wide planning grant will help determine what may be the best uses of the lands more from a market standpoint, taking into consideration the neighborhood, city, and region. This link from the EPA describes each type of grant under the Brownfields program (https://www.epa.gov/brownfields/type...-grant-funding).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2016, 02:29 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,051,343 times
Reputation: 176
So the YMCA has sent an offer to Hamrick to "build" a C-USA standard ballpark at the YMCA complex for about $3.5 million. They would just be adding appropriate facilities to an existing field. It would hold about 2,000 spectators. Marshall would pay $3.5 million up front and then pay $2,600/month to use the facility. In my opinion, this is quite a lackluster proposal. This facility would be outside the city limits, nowhere near campus and it would be just enough for MU to get by. If by some act of God and MU moves to a new conference, this facility would have to be upgraded further. Also, this plan would undercut the Mayor's proposal to have a ballpark around MU's already existing athletics facilities. I mean a minor league park could still be built, but I feel like if MU uses another facility, then it just makes everything more difficult. A ballpark would likely still be built in the same spot, so why would MU make their players drive out of town when they could just walk to the one on campus. It doesn't make sense. So I'm really hoping that Hamrick turns down this proposal. The YMCA has given him one month to decide.

This was written about in Chuck Landon's column. He seems to think that MU should take the offer :
Chuck Landon: YMCA proposal on table for new ballpark | Sports | herald-dispatch.com

How does this relate to ABC? Well something interesting happened on Facebook. Also today, the Mayor reposted this article from 2013 about his "field of dreams" on his Facebook page: HERDZONE.COM :: Official Athletic Site of Marshall Thundering Herd :: Athletics News
I'm sure that most you remember reading it. Anyway, I wonder if that's a coincidence or if Chuck's column prompted a response. Maybe the Mayor is trying to remind people of the grandeur of his plans. Who knows...everything is speculation at this point.

Here is a link to the Mayor Steve Williams FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/MayorSteveWilliams/?fref=nf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,153 posts, read 6,861,380 times
Reputation: 768
While the knee jerk reaction would be to say "Yes, it's a field, take it!", if you look at the details this would not be in Marshall's best interest. Marshall would foot all of the bill for the field itself but still have to pay rent and have no ownership? MU has already paid for the upgraded surface and is now expected to pay for the grandstands. I could see them paying a decreased rent/lease on the land but then Marshall should have control of the field. Plus, given the overall poor location and lack of high traffic to attract fans, this does not seem like a good long term solution.

I think MU needs to get with a developer and approach ACF about purchasing the parking lot between 3rd and 5th Aves at least. If the developer could then purchase the Flint Pigment property adjacent to there as was previously planned, a new hotel could be built there as well. Even if ACF plans to "start up" their facilities again, it will be in a much smaller capacity. They will not need that parking lot for 20 employees. Another part of that facility could likely be torn down and paved for a new parking lot. This would be a win-win for Mr. Icahn as he would make money off of an empty parking lot, he could still do whatever he is planning to at ACF and his property value would be increased by the new development. This would be a win for MU as they get a baseball field and it would be a win for the city as it would kickstart the HIP project. It would at least be worth a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 03:14 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,051,343 times
Reputation: 176
Man I really think that all industry from the river to 5th ave in the Highlawn brownfield should go. I mean if he has so little employees there and plans to keep it that way, then I honestly think he is just trolling the city. I mean how can that area be redeveloped with that horrid industrial property still there??? It needs to go or at least be relocated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top