U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:19 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,861,380 times

Advertisements

Oh I totally agree that Mr Icahn is trolling the city, for some odd reason. That space redeveloped as further retail, research space or athletic space for Marshall would be much more useful. Building a new ball field in that parking lot would be a step in the right direction though and might be the catalyst that the rest of the development needs. It might even make Mr Icahn more willing to be a business partner if he sees something actually happening there and he thinks he could make an extra buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 08:45 PM

941 posts, read 1,051,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Oh I totally agree that Mr Icahn is trolling the city, for some odd reason. That space redeveloped as further retail, research space or athletic space for Marshall would be much more useful. Building a new ball field in that parking lot would be a step in the right direction though and might be the catalyst that the rest of the development needs. It might even make Mr Icahn more willing to be a business partner if he sees something actually happening there and he thinks he could make an extra buck.
Maybe if we win ABC, he might concede. We can only hope...

Old 09-20-2016, 06:27 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,797,352 times
City works on plan for brownfield properties | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 09-20-2016, 10:48 PM

73 posts, read 57,425 times
I am confused, and I'm not trying to be snarky about this--honest question: is not the brownfield property that is being discussed for redevelopment currently privately owned, and if so, why is the city having to scrounge money to foot the bill?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitler View Post
I am confused, and I'm not trying to be snarky about this--honest question: is not the brownfield property that is being discussed for redevelopment currently privately owned, and if so, why is the city having to scrounge money to foot the bill?
Yes and no. So the $600k is grants from the EPA for contamination assessment and market analysis. The $100k from HMDA is for a deposit on the Ingram part (27 acres between Rubberlite, the river, the water plant, and McClelland Park). The Ingram site would basically be "Phase I" as Rubberlite is adjacent and ready to establish the PolyTeCH center there, and the property is available to purchase. The development also depends on the investment of Rubberlite, but there's a good chance that that part of the brownfields plan does come to fruition.

The uncertainty comes with the McGinnis property and primarily the ACF property. The former has a more diverse environmental history (and possibly a more complex remediation plan) and is awkwardly situated between 2nd Ave, 22nd St, the railroad (and ACF property) and the existing packing plant on that same block. I don't think there will be too much of a hassle acquiring the land, though.

ACF, meanwhile, is the majority of the brownfields land (about 35 acres including land on the other side of the floodwall); basically everything between 22nd St. and 24th. That will be the hardest part thanks to the Icahn issue. I would expect the game plan to be moving forward with the Ingram purchase ($2.3 million assessed) and developing that section with Rubberlite first. Once the PolyTeCH center is established, the City will have proven success along with the EPA market analysis to be better positioned to negotiate with Icahn, whether for purchase or partner.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:24 AM

553 posts, read 469,255 times
I don't see where building pet projects will bring the thousands of higher paying jobs that Huntington desperately needs. So many of our best and brightest have left for greener pastures where jobs are more plentiful.

We don't need rail trails and a pretty riverfront park....we need JOBS! Bring in an assembly plant like Toyota or a major player.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
I don't see where building pet projects will bring the thousands of higher paying jobs that Huntington desperately needs. So many of our best and brightest have left for greener pastures where jobs are more plentiful.

We don't need rail trails and a pretty riverfront park....we need JOBS! Bring in an assembly plant like Toyota or a major player.
Actually, the centerpiece of the brownfields plan is to work with an existing private manufacturer (Rubberlite) to expand light industrial operations and research and development with the establishment of the Polymer Technology Center of Huntington (PolyTeCH). Ideally, this would also involve expanding the research capabilities of Marshall's science and engineering departments. If you want to read more on the overall plan, it can be found here: Huntington Innovation Project (the Brownfields section starts on page 12).

Also, there's a public meeting today at 6:30 at at Community of Grace United Methodist Church, 225 28th St if you want to come out and learn more as well as voice your opinion. More info in the press release here: PUBLIC INPUT SOUGHT ON FUTURE USE OF BROWNFIELDS PROPERTIES

Old 09-27-2016, 04:41 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,861,380 times
As elewis stated, this initiative has nothing to do with rail trails (which Huntington will likely never have due to high use of our train infrastructure) or riverfront parks (currently undergoing the first phase of a $100 million private investment). This initiative is also not a pet project, it's taking an unused piece of property close to downtown and returning it to productive use. The goal of this is to add more jobs to the area first and foremost. Hopefully with the current momentum going here, this is something that will move along quickly.

Rubberlite is about to embark on the first part of this improvement and hopefully Mr Icahn will soon be on board as well. If this works out as planned, it really has the opportunity to help turn that area of town around in a big way.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:12 AM

10 posts, read 8,468 times
Any news on the ACF property? So much land could be put to good use with that. A hotel would do amazing with the close proximity to the stadium.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:47 AM

Zero news so far. The assessment funded by the EPA is still ongoing, I believe, and the ABC competition ends in April. We'll probably hear more closer to then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or