U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:58 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,794,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I wonder what the timeline is for other 64 proposed projects looks like. 64 could become a traffic nightmare for the foreseeable future, especially whenever plans come together for widening from Scott Depot to Nitro, or Huntington to Milton.

Donít get me wrong, the work is certainly needed and the inconvenience will be worth it! Just remind me not to be anywhere near 64 in the meantime lol!
It's going to be a headache between Huntington and Charleston for several years. Here's my estimate of the order of projects on I-64 alone:
  • Cabell/Putnam - I-64 Reconstruction: Milton to Hurricane
  • Kanawha - Danner Rd. Overpass Deck Replacement
  • Putnam - I-64 Reconstruction: Hurricane to Rocky Step
  • Cabell - I-64 Widening: Barboursville to East Mall Rd.
  • Putnam - New Kanawha River Bridge (with widening and St. Albans exit reconfiguration)
  • Cabell - I-64 Widening: 29th St. to Barboursville
  • Cabell - New Culloden Interchange

That's a lot to accomplish! Most, if not all, of the big projects will be design-build to speed things along. I think the General Obligation bonds go out this fall, and environmental/preliminary engineering work is being done on some of these in the meantime. You're looking at about 4-5 years of work here, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:16 AM

512 posts, read 385,368 times
Article on I-64 "repaving" 14-mile stretch from Milton to US 35 Interchange. Work to start April 9th with a price tag of $54 million. No mention of widening other than vaguely stating plans are "on the menu" for widening of I-64 between Huntington and Charleston.

I-64 repaving from Milton to US 35 exit starts April 9 | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 03-29-2018, 11:14 AM

4,975 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Hopefully the work will consider future lanes, and will lay the foundation for them when the time is right. It would be a sad day if the state did this project without proper groundwork for future expansion. Because all the work they do now would have to be redone in the future.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 PM

204 posts, read 145,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Hopefully the work will consider future lanes, and will lay the foundation for them when the time is right. It would be a sad day if the state did this project without proper groundwork for future expansion. Because all the work they do now would have to be redone in the future.
This is what I was thinking too. This would be a huge waste if they do not plan NOW for 6 lanes between Huntington & Charleston

Old 04-09-2018, 04:49 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1 View Post
Anyone know what they are doing on Rt. 10? Almost looks like the are prepping the area for widening? Or is it all about drainage? They've cleared out a lot of area on both sides of road.
Stretch of W.Va. 10 is getting upgrades for improved safety | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 AM

512 posts, read 385,368 times
Looks like the I-64 widening project from Barboursville to East Mall Road is scheduled to being in December 2018 and last through 2021. Doesn't really make much sense to me that they wouldn't be widening 29th St to Barboursville first, as that is going to create a major bottleneck between the widened sections.

Widening of I-64 between US 35 Interchange and Nitro scheduled to begin in October 2018 and last through 2021.

I-64 work switching from westbound to eastbound lanes | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 07-22-2018, 11:06 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,255,098 times
From Barboursville (Merritt's Creek interchange) to Mall Road is a distance of 2 miles, 3 at the most if they go a little further east past both mall road exits. So it's going to take the contractor one year per mile? That is ridiculous. The contract must be paying by the hour.

The other project, the US 35 to Nitro involves building a new 4 lane bridge, rehabbing the older bridge once the new one is complete, rebuilding two interchanges and building up the land on the eastern side of the Kanawha River to have the room for 2 additional lanes on each side.

So knowing the extra work involved with the Nitro project, the timeline for the B'ville expansion is even more mind-boggling.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:48 PM

4,975 posts, read 6,533,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
From Barboursville (Merritt's Creek interchange) to Mall Road is a distance of 2 miles, 3 at the most if they go a little further east past both mall road exits. So it's going to take the contractor one year per mile? That is ridiculous. The contract must be paying by the hour.

The other project, the US 35 to Nitro involves building a new 4 lane bridge, rehabbing the older bridge once the new one is complete, rebuilding two interchanges and building up the land on the eastern side of the Kanawha River to have the room for 2 additional lanes on each side.

So knowing the extra work involved with the Nitro project, the timeline for the B'ville expansion is even more mind-boggling.
That is a sad revelation right there!

Old 07-23-2018, 10:29 AM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times
Let’s hope the contractor ends up being a little more efficient with their time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington