Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 11:40 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,212,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
With the passage of the Governors large road reconstruction package by the WV Legislature it will be interesting to see how quickly things move on the projects identified in the STIP. The governor has repeatedly said that these jobs are ready to be bid out and started immediately; so in other terms, essentially "shovel-ready." I wonder if we will start seeing a flurry of road construction in the current contract season?
Only thing holding that up at this point is the governor needs to call for a vote on the bond issue ( I believe two month delay between the call for the vote and the actual vote). If the voters approve the bond issue (which I pray they do) then all of the construction projects can move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 01:03 PM

530 posts, read 585,762 times
Road bond vote scheduled for Oct 7th. If approved could leverage upwards of $3 Billon (that's billion with a 'B') in new funding for major road reconstruction and new projects across West Virginia. Would be historical and I for one hope it is approved so we can truly fix our states crumbling roads and bridges.

WV MetroNews – Justice schedules road bond election, signs Parkways bill into law

Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,128,287 times
I hope the majority of the big projects will be road expansions and finishing existing projects, like Corridor H. I think the state needs to focus on these before kicking off any brand new road creation projects.

I hope the project to widen I-64 between Teays Valley/Crooked Creek and Nitro, and bridge replacement, will be a top priority project.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 PM

1,854 posts, read 2,212,677 times
Quote:
Road bond vote scheduled for Oct 7th. If approved could leverage upwards of $3 Billon (that's billion with a 'B') in new funding for major road reconstruction and new projects across West Virginia. Would be historical and I for one hope it is approved so we can truly fix our states crumbling roads and bridges.

WV MetroNews – Justice schedules road bond election, signs Parkways bill into law
I know Phase 1 projects are supposed to start within the year if approved, do you know when phase 2 is supposed to get started (I'm assuming immediately also, but construction might be a year or two off while engineering and other background stuff happens to get ready for construction)?

Old 06-27-2017, 03:35 PM

List of Phase 1 & Phase 2 Projects. Looks like the widening from Nitro to Teays Valley as well the widening from Barboursville exit to East Mall Road included on Phase 1. I believe the Nitro to Teays Valley is scheduled to begin this summer, at least according to previous media reports.

Phase 2 includes widening from 29th Street to Barboursville, widening of US 60 from Merritt Creek Intersection to West Mall Road, as well as construction of the new Culloden Interchange.

http://wvmetronews.com/wordpress/wp-...e-1.pdf?x63433

http://wvmetronews.com/wordpress/wp-...e-2.pdf?x63433

Old 06-27-2017, 04:43 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,406,576 times
Quote:
List of Phase 1 & Phase 2 Projects. Looks like the widening from Nitro to Teays Valley as well the widening from Barboursville exit to East Mall Road included on Phase 1. I believe the Nitro to Teays Valley is scheduled to begin this summer, at least according to previous media reports.

Phase 2 includes widening from 29th Street to Barboursville, widening of US 60 from Merritt Creek Intersection to West Mall Road, as well as construction of the new Culloden Interchange.

http://wvmetronews.com/wordpress/wp-...e-1.pdf?x63433

http://wvmetronews.com/wordpress/wp-...e-2.pdf?x63433
Or, a map (courtesy of yours truly): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yT..._k&usp=sharing

Old 06-28-2017, 06:50 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,128,287 times
There's no way that it'll only cost $170 million dollars to expand I-64 from Nitro to the Rt. 35 interchange (Crooked Creek) in Putnam County when you include a new 6 lane (at least) bridge across the Kanawha River, rebuilding two interchanges and replacing one additional overhead bridge.

The price tag for the new Culloden interchange is $50 million and that doesn't include all of the other work the Nitro/St. Albans widening project will need.

It's also great to see the US 52 project and Corridor H project in the first phase. The road upgrade is needed to help grow the Pritchard Intermodal facility and a completed Corridor H would help open up both traffic and business opportunities to Northern Virginia. Especially with the already established intermodal facilities in Northern Virginia. Logisitics and intermodal has the potential to be big for WV in the future, if our elected leaders would actually do their jobs and help that industry grow.

Thanks for the map elewis7.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:22 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,975,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
Or, a map (courtesy of yours truly): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yT..._k&usp=sharing
wow, nice map!

I believe that all the projects mentioned are needed enhancements. I really like the new bridge proposed off of the Hinton exit of I-64, which would link up with the existing road on the west side of the New River. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to drive all the way down to Hinton and all the way back up the other side to access Sandstone Falls.

Also an added light at Lucado Rd. in Charleston will be beneficial. I personally can see some development spurring along Oakhurst if that happens.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:23 AM

Story in the HD with some of the planned road construction projects as part of the Roads Package proposed by Gov. Justice. One thing that stood out to me was I-64 being widened to 8 lanes around the Mall Exits. I hadn't heard that before but would be great.

State releases list of planned road projects | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 12-27-2017, 08:26 PM

Wasn’t exactly sure where to put this but I found this publication from the TERRADON Engineering Services Corporation. For the “Huntington Mall Road” project, it states “project for the upgrade of US Rt. 60, Mall Road, and Ring Road, and the new road crossing over I-64 from US Rt. 60 to Ring Road to better accommodate mall traffic.

I thought that was interesting. I’m trying to imagine where exactly such a road would be located but certainly could help with traffic around the mall.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington