U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 02:59 PM

401 posts, read 346,605 times

Advertisements

Meeting set to discuss widening portion of I-64 in Putnam County

Meeting on Tuesday to discuss expansion between the Teays Valley and Nitro exits. This would include the bridge over the Kanawha. Anyone have a timeline or know any more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 07:33 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,794,658 times
It depends on funding. This meeting is part of the environmental review, which will help determine the preferred alternative (they had another meeting a couple years ago). If they get clearance, then they'll figure out the funding and solicit bids for the design (or pre-qualified firms for a design-build contract). It's all dependent on funding, obviously, but we could see some progress within a year or two.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:26 PM

According to WSAZ, the DOH is planning on receiving final environmental clearance this summer, with construction hopefully set for next spring.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:03 AM

4,979 posts, read 6,535,031 times
This of course is a much needed project as that stretch of highway is a traffic nightmare. It is a bottleneck for the heaviest commuter road in the state, so naturally it had to be addressed at some point. Eventually they will need to do the same from Teays Valley to Barboursville. of course, several bridges need to be updated along the way. We are talking big figure projects that we as a state cannot pay for currently, but need to plan for.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
This of course is a much needed project as that stretch of highway is a traffic nightmare. It is a bottleneck for the heaviest commuter road in the state, so naturally it had to be addressed at some point. Eventually they will need to do the same from Teays Valley to Barboursville. of course, several bridges need to be updated along the way. We are talking big figure projects that we as a state cannot pay for currently, but need to plan for.
True, though the stretch from Huntington to the mall is very important as well. I wonder if the Accelerated Bridge Construction technique the DOH is trying out on the Turnpike could be used elsewhere in the state. That would definitely expedite the widening of the section from Teays Valley to Hurricane. While they're at it, I wonder if they'll ever revisit the idea of a new interstate exit at Culloden.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:09 AM

512 posts, read 385,521 times
Also, let's not forget that the US Congress did FINALLY pass a Highways resurfacing transportation bill several months ago, so that should infuse a good amount (compared to recent years, in which they did not pass any new roads bills) of federal dollars into such interstate projects. I am hoping that the DOH will release some information soon as to which major projects the funding will be prioritized.

I think I have read in the past that the goal is to have 6 lanes on I-64 all the way to the KY border. It is desperately needed around the Huntington Mall as well as between the Mall and the newest stretch they recently completed between 29th Street and Hal Greer, to accommodate all of the development at Exit 18 for Tanyard Station and The Crossing which will be generating very large volumes of traffic.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
True, though the stretch from Huntington to the mall is very important as well. I wonder if the Accelerated Bridge Construction technique the DOH is trying out on the Turnpike could be used elsewhere in the state. That would definitely expedite the widening of the section from Teays Valley to Hurricane. While they're at it, I wonder if they'll ever revisit the idea of a new interstate exit at Culloden.

Teays Valley to Hurricane is the easiest part of the whole expansion project. It's relatively flat with very few (maybe one or two) bridges. The part that really slows down the expansion is the KY border to the Huntington Mall where there is over 1 bridge per mile on average

Old 05-14-2016, 04:51 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,255,858 times
To expand 4 miles of interstate to six lanes and build a new bridge, $125 million seems low.

I know this project is needed but as a commuter of that road every day, the thought of the traffic headaches during construction makes me want to find a new job.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
To expand 4 miles of interstate to six lanes and build a new bridge, $125 million seems low.

I know this project is needed but as a commuter of that road every day, the thought of the traffic headaches during construction makes me want to find a new job.
Actually, $125 million sounds about spot on. The widening project they finished last year in Huntington cost $18 million for four miles. The new bridge over the Ohio to be built is estimated at $120 million, and that's a longer span than this one would be.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post

Take Route 60. It'll get you around the traffic. I imagine building a new bridge won't slow traffic down too much though. It's not like they'll close the other one before they're done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington