U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 06:39 AM

349 posts, read 195,713 times

Advertisements

Don't get your hopes up for the WVGazette in Charleston. They are no better. After their initial story a couple of years ago about the potential WholeFoods and PF Changs which had no follow up I emailed them a few times. I emailed the author and even editors and got nothing back. Sadly my observation is that neither paper is worth what it is printed on. In fact the poor coverage and not responding back to my emails led me to cancel my subscription after several years.

In an area like this and with our economy the way it is these papers should be a positive force for promoting development and jobs and keeping the public informed. The promotion of development projects and possibilities might lead to more growth which might lead to more subscribers. Either they do not care or are clueless but it sucks for our cities to be served by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 02:39 AM

941 posts, read 1,050,313 times
Here's the update on the estimated $109 million development:

Quote:
"We have done a sound survey, and we did have hits for Indiana Bats, so we can't start clearing on the property until November," said Brent Roswall, a native of Barboursville and co-owner of Interstate Realty of Bristol, Tennessee, the developer of the project.
Quote:
Roswall said he expects to break ground on Phase One of the project in late summer or early fall. The project is divided into three phases.

The mayor is still hoping for the project to be completed by the summer of 2017.
Quote:
"The study is done and submitted for three different entrances into Tanyard Station, and we are also working with the West Virginia Department of Highways for widening U.S. Route 60 and intersection upgrades to accommodate the increased traffic volume," Tatum said.

The plans include an expansion to four lanes to the end of the development and beyond toward the Huntington Mall. Other improvements include two new traffic lights.
Quote:
"We've got a grocery store that would be new to the state and is what we are excited about," Roswall said. "There will be clothing stores, pet care, home dcor and an entertainment component."

"I think when people start to see the specific names that are going to be really excited about it," Tatum said.

Officials: Tanyard development runs into issues | Business | herald-dispatch.com

Old 06-12-2016, 07:41 AM

51 posts, read 43,472 times
The story in today's Herald-Dispatch seems to be a repeat of previously announced information. The story seems to give contradictory information from previous announcements such as the development being 200,000 square feet when it has been announced it was doubled to 400,000 square feet. The story also contradicts itself when in one paragraph it says site work can't begin until November, then later says it may start in late summer. The poor quality of the Herald Dispatch strikes again! I do hope the mayor is correct when he says the issues causing the delays are nothing major. I am really excited for both Tanyard Station and The Crossing to become a reality!

Last edited by BvilleGuy; 06-12-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-12-2016, 09:16 AM

512 posts, read 385,729 times
Yes, it has been really irritating as they keep reporting the size of the development as 200,000 sq. feet because it was indeed increased to 400,000 sq. feet as the HD itself had event reported several months ago. What is screwing people up, is the developers themselves have not even updated the website since that announcement and these news organizations just keep reporting verbatim what is written on the website's description of the project. Overall, though, no new information here, it's just the HD is more than a week late on the story, staying true to their form.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:00 AM

I've received a response from the WV DOH regarding the planned modifications to support the Tanyard Station development. Not a whole lot of specifics, but it does appear that the developer will actually be coordinating the construction of the highway improvements to DOH approved and specified plans based on their study. By the way this reads, they seem to be finalizing these plans. I am hopeful at least that portion of the project can start since we now have to wait until November for groundbreaking on the actual development. At least if they are working on the road improvements it will give us the sense that it is actually going to happen and not just pie in the sky.

Quote:
Our Central Engineering Division has been working with the developer of the Tanyard Station Project to ensure proper traffic flow, reduce congestion and they provided the following information: “The modifications of the State Highway System associated with the development generally consist of addition of turn lanes along WV 193 and US 60, and signal installation/modification. We are finalizing with the developer the specific recommendations of the Developer’s Traffic Impact Study to verify that certain of the recommendations realistically can be implemented as proposed. The Developer will be responsible for submitting detailed construction plans for Division of Highways (DOH) review/approval pertaining to all work proposed along the State Highway System, and those plans would be submitted at whatever schedule the Developer desires to utilize. Once the DOH approves the plans (as they pertain to the DOH), the Developer then will be responsible for implementing those modifications at whatever construction schedule he desires to utilize. The DOH isn’t implementing the construction or administering the design of the construction and the schedules for plans and construction would be established by the Developer.”

Old 07-16-2016, 03:22 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,853,510 times
A new update regarding TIF approval:

Steps taken toward new shopping center | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 07-16-2016, 09:14 PM

I have to say I'm a bit perplexed by this latest update...didn't they already approve the TIF district proposal earlier this year? I'm pretty sure that had already been reported on quite some time ago. Also, errors continue to be perpetuated...according to most recent reports, size of development was doubled from 200,000 to 400,000 sq. feet, though media outlets continue to report it as 200,000 sq. feet. Also, they continue to erroneously report the development as being just off Exit 20, whereas it is actually off Exit 18. Hopefully we will get some more solid information regarding the project at that Aug 11th informational meeting.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 PM

51 posts, read 43,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
I have to say I'm a bit perplexed by this latest update...didn't they already approve the TIF district proposal earlier this year? I'm pretty sure that had already been reported on quite some time ago. Also, errors continue to be perpetuated...according to most recent reports, size of development was doubled from 200,000 to 400,000 sq. feet, though media outlets continue to report it as 200,000 sq. feet. Also, they continue to erroneously report the development as being just off Exit 20, whereas it is actually off Exit 18. Hopefully we will get some more solid information regarding the project at that Aug 11th informational meeting.

This is part of the legal process they have to go through for the TIF district to be created. The commission had approved it at the previous meeting. The meeting discussed in this story was the first reading, then in August will be the public hearing at which I guess anyone opposed to the creation of the TIF district can speak against it. All these steps have to be followed in that certain order before it can officially be implemented. The continued reporting of wrong information is very annoying and makes me wonder if any type of editor reads stories at the Herald Dispatch before it goes to print.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:37 AM

240 posts, read 209,918 times
isn't today is the day more announcements at tanyard are supposed to happen. is anyone going to meeting or know when it is.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
isn't today is the day more announcements at tanyard are supposed to happen. is anyone going to meeting or know when it is.
Great question! According to the report, the presentation by the developers would take place at the Cabell County Commission meeting today. I sure hope we get a good detailed report, although I'm not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or