U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:32 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,458,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
I would say the grocery store is trader Joe's. Menards does own property at the Highlands in Wheeling but who knows if and when that happens. right now the people that were to put in the Wild Escape theme park at the highlands is suing the highlands. the highlands is also suing them for holding up the building of Menards. so who knows when that will happen if ever. they were originally supposed to have it finished by the end of this year. I would say that since they are now looking at a sports store by Huntington Mall that was the one originally going in at Tanyard. The new plans look less exciting and it looks like it will be far less exciting and end up having the same old stores just in different locations. you would think they could announce the ones signed and start the road work. it is a shame some of the larger cities in West Virginia can't or wouldn't attract better shopping and dining.
I don't think the theme park will go in at The Highlands. That location draws heavily from the southern Pittsburgh suburbs, and the 'Burg is pretty well set for amusement parks. I always though the theme park was a pipe dream for there, even with a large Cabellas as a draw. I so expect to see the Menards there at some point. I would also not be shocked to see one at the Huntington Mall. I would be surprised to see a Trader Joe's. I've lived in an area with one of those nearby, and it takes a certain demographic for those guys... a younger, affluent customer base such as you find in proximity to large cities. You're more likely to get a Whole Foods than a Trader Joe's. There is one Trader Joe's (Danbury, CT) in the entire New York City northern suburbs as a comparison. There are a couple million people living there. There are also a couple million living in the Pittsburgh area, and they only have one of them as far as I know.

Personally, although my wife liked Trader Joe's and often shopped at the one in Danbury, I never thought much of the place. It's Wacko Haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 01:38 PM

1,348 posts, read 1,049,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I don't think the theme park will go in at The Highlands. That location draws heavily from the southern Pittsburgh suburbs, and the 'Burg is pretty well set for amusement parks. I always though the theme park was a pipe dream for there, even with a large Cabellas as a draw. I so expect to see the Menards there at some point. I would also not be shocked to see one at the Huntington Mall. I would be surprised to see a Trader Joe's. I've lived in an area with one of those nearby, and it takes a certain demographic for those guys... a younger, affluent customer base such as you find in proximity to large cities. You're more likely to get a Whole Foods than a Trader Joe's. There is one Trader Joe's (Danbury, CT) in the entire New York City northern suburbs as a comparison. There are a couple million people living there. There are also a couple million living in the Pittsburgh area, and they only have one of them as far as I know.

Personally, although my wife liked Trader Joe's and often shopped at the one in Danbury, I never thought much of the place. It's Wacko Haven.
I believe they just opened their third one this year in Pittsburgh, but they are in high $$$$$$ areas with a LOT of traffic.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:46 PM

240 posts, read 209,779 times
the theme park is dead but they are suing the Highlands and till that's settled in court you wouldn't see Menards. both sides say they breached agreements with each other. it was in the wheeling paper not long ago. I'm hoping the new planned shopping center in Morgantown has some new restaurants and stores for that area. it probably wouldn't be developed though till later next year since the same people developing it are doing Tanyard.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:52 PM

1,348 posts, read 1,049,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
the theme park is dead but they are suing the Highlands and till that's settled in court you wouldn't see Menards. both sides say they breached agreements with each other. it was in the wheeling paper not long ago. I'm hoping the new planned shopping center in Morgantown has some new restaurants and stores for that area. it probably wouldn't be developed though till later next year since the same people developing it are doing Tanyard.
That whole lawsuit with the theme park is just weird.

Id love some new places, it'll be interesting to see what comes of it. A county commissioner said they expect to see it start being built in the spring and I'm hearing rumors of another shopping center developed by someone else being planned for behind it now too. There is a LOT of land to be built on.

Its a shame the people who are developing Tanyard and West View (Morganton) are terrible at communicating or being forthcoming with information.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:16 PM

204 posts, read 145,640 times
I would think Whole Foods over Trader Joe's is highly unlikely. Trader Joe's hits a much better price point for this area. That said, if I'm being honest, I think we'll see Aldi in Barboursville before TJs or Whole Foods. My wife will love that, but I'm still hoping for a TJs as it's easily my favorite grocery store...well unless we could get a Wegmans or something like that.

I will say this, a Menards does not excite me at all. If Barboursville is wise they will push hard for 1. Bass Pro 2. Outlets 3. Premium movie theater with dining and IMAX. Those three things alone would be a huge draw for Southern WV, Eastern KY and Southeastern OH.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:29 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,852,052 times
I haven't had much faith in Tanyard Station from the get go due to previous issues with environmental clean up. Don't forget though that The Crossing is just on the other side of the interstate and was going after many of the same tenants. From what I've heard, many of the possible tenants were waiting for them to get the main entrance built before they would sign on. It'll be interesting to see how well that development does. There's a lot of potential there with all of the open land around it.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:26 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,255,858 times
I agree that a Trader Joe's makes more sense than Whole Foods. Whole Foods has higher prices where Trader Joe's is about lower price points. That fits better with the area but like it has been mentioned before, I think we will see an Aldi store in Barboursville. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion, Aldi is a fine store and company.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:01 AM

204 posts, read 145,640 times
Agreed. I would visit a Trader Joe's or Aldi 1-2 times weekly.

Early on I heard rumors that The Crossing was shooting for an outlet mall. That is the kind of stuff we need. We need shopping and entertainment options that will make Barboursville a destination town.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 2,459,203 times
The building shown in the revised site plan looks a lot like a free-standing Aldi. Trader Joe's locations are usually in a strip plaza, so what's shown on that plan is likely an Aldi.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:07 PM

1,372 posts, read 701,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
The building shown in the revised site plan looks a lot like a free-standing Aldi. Trader Joe's locations are usually in a strip plaza, so what's shown on that plan is likely an Aldi.

Yes, absolutely clear, it will be an Aldi store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or