U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 05:50 AM

4,570 posts, read 7,748,940 times

Advertisements

One would think that with development so far along, especially at Tanyard, that the update is more reality than hopes and dreams. I’d imagine we’ll know soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 PM

530 posts, read 492,578 times
Very interesting update to the Tanyard Site plan. I noticed that the portion of the development that is located across US 60 on the current site of the DOH garage no longer has the hotel depicted but rather what possibly appears to be a fuel station...such as what would be associated with a Costco or Sam's Club. Does anyone else think this resembles a fuel center and would it be possible to have the fuel pumps associated with a Sam's Club or Costco be located across the road?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,759,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
Very interesting update to the Tanyard Site plan. I noticed that the portion of the development that is located across US 60 on the current site of the DOH garage no longer has the hotel depicted but rather what possibly appears to be a fuel station...such as what would be associated with a Costco or Sam's Club. Does anyone else think this resembles a fuel center and would it be possible to have the fuel pumps associated with a Sam's Club or Costco be located across the road?
I hadn’t seen that, but yes it looks like it could be a whole sale club’s gas station.

Looking at the building again though and this might be because of size restrictions with the lot but the loading dock area looks exactly like the loading dock area on BJ’s Wholesale Clubs. Same goes with the gas station, the gas pump area looks like a BJ’s and not a normal Sams or Costco pump area (again his could be because of lot size). Also, notice how the drawing of the gas station has a little kiosk building in the middle like BJ’s gas stations do while Costco’s are normally off to the side. Here is a picture of a BJ’s gas pump area https://prnewswire2-a.akamaihd.net/p.../100011/type/1

Last edited by WVUmatt; 12-14-2018 at 09:48 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 11:42 PM

4,071 posts, read 2,995,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
Looks like there is a new drawing up with a 86,000 square feet whole sale club included in it. But there is no gas station associated with it like Sams and Costco normally have. Could be a small Costco with no gas. They range from 73,000 - 250,000 square feet in size with an average size of 149,000 square feet.

I find it interesting that all of a sudden Huntington, Charleston and Morgantown have their new development plans for Interstate Realty changed and both Huntington and Charleston show what could be Costco’s and Morgantown’s plans are radically changed to leave open two very large pads (one being Menards and the other assumed to probably be a Costco). I wonder if it is wishful thinking on the part of the developer or if Costco is FINALLY going to make a push into WV.
It could be a BJ's Wholesale Club, which is a similar concept to Sam's Club and Costco.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:44 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,658,544 times
Not really a need for 2 gas stations in the same development though. At least a BJ's Wholesale Club would provide something new to the area. Also, if it is a BJ's, I wonder if one would be slated for the announced South Charleston development?

Old 12-15-2018, 08:01 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,759,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Not really a need for 2 gas stations in the same development though. At least a BJ's Wholesale Club would provide something new to the area. Also, if it is a BJ's, I wonder if one would be slated for the announced South Charleston development?
That is a good question, are BJ’s and Costco expanding into the state within a similar time period or just one of them?

Old 12-15-2018, 03:46 PM

530 posts, read 492,578 times
Looks like there are some mid-size BJ’s store prototypes such as the one in the link below at just over 84,000 square feet. Based on the picture, looks quite similar to that on the Tanyard site plan now.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/quin...ub-acquisition

Old 12-21-2018, 04:31 PM

First four businesses open at Tanyard Station | News | herald-dispatch.com

Ive heard that the current Aldi in Huntington will now shut down for an extensive remodeling since the new store is open. I’d love to see them build another Aldi in the spot by the hospital.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:14 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,658,544 times
The Aldi in West Huntington is in need of remodeling and this could be the opportunity to revamp that plaza and area. The only downside of a temporary closing is that it leaves Kroger as the only grocery store in that part of town.

Is there still a grocery store in the Ceredo/Kenova shopping plaza?

I agree with tbailey that an Aldi in the Cabell Huntington Hospital area could work out nicely for that area.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
The Aldi in West Huntington is in need of remodeling and this could be the opportunity to revamp that plaza and area. The only downside of a temporary closing is that it leaves Kroger as the only grocery store in that part of town.

Is there still a grocery store in the Ceredo/Kenova shopping plaza?

I agree with tbailey that an Aldi in the Cabell Huntington Hospital area could work out nicely for that area.
I'm pretty sure there's still a FoodFair in the Ceredo plaza.

As to an Aldi in the CHH area, I think it's a no brainer. That would give them direct competition to every Kroger in Cabell County. Not to mention it would be on the South side of the tracks and likely draw heavily from the residents in the Southside and also those employed at CHH and Marshall. The added convenience would likely pull a lot from Kroger and make them up their game in Huntington as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington