U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 12:48 PM

456 posts, read 537,527 times

Advertisements

Huntington Mall is definitely the best mall in the state and very healthy as far as malls go anywhere. With some effort, Charleston could have kept their mall the destination it used to be. The sad thing is Charleston has had zero vision for 40 years. The new mayor doesn't seem to be proactive either. Morgantown, Huntington, Wheeling, and Martinsburg are seeing some vision and hope but I think all of them even have people standing in their way of moving forward a lot. Morgantown has WVU, Huntington Marshall, and Martinsburg growth from its proximity to Washington but all three still need a better vision. Every city in West Virginia has to deal with annexation issues and fighting against competing local groups and cities keeping them from seeing their full potential. I'm not sure why cities close to each other don't work together in this state to attract anything. I live in Elkins and I've actually seen businesses fought to even come in and now the town is in the worst shape it's ever been in in my life. So many towns in this state have potential but I don't see many making any effort to reach for better things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 02:13 PM

868 posts, read 670,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
Huntington Mall is definitely the best mall in the state and very healthy as far as malls go anywhere. With some effort, Charleston could have kept their mall the destination it used to be. The sad thing is Charleston has had zero vision for 40 years. The new mayor doesn't seem to be proactive either. Morgantown, Huntington, Wheeling, and Martinsburg are seeing some vision and hope but I think all of them even have people standing in their way of moving forward a lot. Morgantown has WVU, Huntington Marshall, and Martinsburg growth from its proximity to Washington but all three still need a better vision. Every city in West Virginia has to deal with annexation issues and fighting against competing local groups and cities keeping them from seeing their full potential. I'm not sure why cities close to each other don't work together in this state to attract anything. I live in Elkins and I've actually seen businesses fought to even come in and now the town is in the worst shape it's ever been in in my life. So many towns in this state have potential but I don't see many making any effort to reach for better things.
I'm not too familiar with Wheeling, but the other 3 most definitely have unmet potential, and annexation is a huge buffer in the potential of communities in WV - especially Morgantown and Huntington. In my opinion, both Monongalia and Cabell should consolidate with Morgantown and Huntington. The state / fed should also assist in WV's land issue through leveling.

If I were in any sort of power in WV, the 5 things I'd focus on to jumpstart the state's economy;

1. Flatten some land and give land away to potential employers primarily in Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown, and Martinsburg
2. Force consolidate/entire county annexation of Cabell, Monongalia, Marion, and Ohio counties, along with half ~ roughly 161 sqmi of Berkely county), as well as Charleston consolidating with South Charleston, Dunbar, and Saint Albans.
3. Combine Yeager Airport and whatever the airport is in Huntington and have one major international airport placed in Putnam County. Southern WV International Airport ?
4. Grow healthcare and medical research in Huntington with Marshall (kind of like how the Children Hospital in Morgantown is supposed to add ~ 1000 jobs, the same thing is possible for Huntington)
5. Focus heavily on tourism Fayette County

I focus closely on consolidation, not only does that give the state's largest cities a greater pull to potential newcomers who don't want to "live in a small town" but rather a mid-sized city, It also puts a ton of WV cities on the map for potential commercial and employers who have population as a criteria for locations. It severely increases tax revenue not just local but also federal. The combined airport would also spur growth.

I'd estimate the new populations as (I didn't calculate these, I just came up with these in my head)

1. Morgantown - 115k
2. Huntington - 91k
3. Charleston - 70k
4. Martinsburg - 65k
5. Fairmont - 56k
6. Wheeling - 41k

These wouldn't even be massive oversized cities, they are legitimate land mass that you'd expect from cities with these populations. A lot of people look at cities like Fairmont for example, including employers, and say "No way I'd live in a town that size", but 8 square miles is just a fraction of what should be the proper Fairmont city limits. That's literally the size of a large sub division in a normal city.

In the case of Charleston, if those cities prosper, Charleston prospers. The city could at least flatten the decline simply with government jobs and decent tourism. The state only needs to run on those top 5 cities listed for it to have an impact on Charleston (not including #6).

I know a TON of people who would leave Pittsburgh in a heartbeat for Morgantown had they not been turned off by it's size and infrastructure (which is limited due to its boundaries).

Last edited by Archer705; 02-01-2021 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-01-2021, 03:52 PM

This state needs to get rid of at least 20 counties to improve efficiency in government offices. Too many small counties with no towns over a couple of thousand population. Morgantown and Huntington would both definitely benefit from a metro type government. The problem in this state is all the little towns surrounding the main cities don't want consolidation. In Charleston's case, I understand since it is poorly run and most of the suburbs wouldn't benefit from consolidating. I don't think in Morgantown and Huntington's case the smaller towns want to be annexed now because they have all the retail and tax base and the larger towns taken them over probably hurts their residents instead of helping. Morgantown constantly fights with the county and no groups there seem to be able to work together for the betterment of the area. Martinsburg and Wheeling don't have as many suburbs but state annexing laws have to change. I know when I lived in Dallas they just said your being annexed and that was that. I have never understood how when any interstate was built why more thought didn't go into leveling out land by the exits for future development. I know in Elkins the three exits they have for corridor H no thought was put into development. Most of 79 doesn't have any land beside it for development. At least in Harrison, Marion, and Monongalia counties have bulldozed areas for development. From Charleston to Clarksburg there is basically a wasteland of nothing with small exceptions in Weston and Flatwoods. I have never understood why Morgantown, Fairmont, and Clarksburg Bridgeport areas haven't worked better together to bring in developments and grow where they can eventually be one metro. The same for Huntington and Charleston. I even think Beckley, Bluefield, and Princeton could do this. 77 is another road poorly designed and with no thought to development.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:23 PM

60 posts, read 42,779 times
Quote:

I don’t agree with this at all. Huntington and Morgantown are growing BECAUSE of the universities and having them in the cities is a great a thing. Martinsburg’s proximity to Washington is another good thing and brings more people to live there. None of these things are bad for the cities.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:14 PM

Who said they were bad. I said Huntington and Morgantown both grow mainly because they do have large universities and I said the eastern panhandle grows primarily because of its proximity to Washington. West Virginia and most of its cities still have a long way to go. Most West Virginia cities have lost thousands of people since the '50s. Huntington's population in 1950 was 86,353 and Cabell County's population was 108,202 and estimate for 2019 was for Huntington's population to be 45,110 and the county's population to be 91,945. That's losses of 41,243 for Huntington in 70 years and 16,257 for the county which does show a little growth in the county since they absorbed some of Huntington's losses but still not stellar growth. Morgantown's growth has slowed also and with the loss of Mylan in a few months Morgantown will be hurting for a while. The university and hospitals help Morgantown to stay stable. Martinsburg just needs for the overwhelming growth in government jobs to stop to see a downturn also.

Old 02-01-2021, 09:27 PM

868 posts, read 670,084 times
Quote:
Who said they were bad. I said Huntington and Morgantown both grow mainly because they do have large universities and I said the eastern panhandle grows primarily because of its proximity to Washington. West Virginia and most of its cities still have a long way to go. Most West Virginia cities have lost thousands of people since the '50s. Huntington's population in 1950 was 86,353 and Cabell County's population was 108,202 and estimate for 2019 was for Huntington's population to be 45,110 and the county's population to be 91,945. That's losses of 41,243 for Huntington in 70 years and 16,257 for the county which does show a little growth in the county since they absorbed some of Huntington's losses but still not stellar growth. Morgantown's growth has slowed also and with the loss of Mylan in a few months Morgantown will be hurting for a while. The university and hospitals help Morgantown to stay stable. Martinsburg just needs for the overwhelming growth in government jobs to stop to see a downturn also.
In the case of Morgantown, while the city itself has somewhat slowed (still relatively fast growing), the county is still growing at a major rate. West Ridge, Suncrest, and UTC are evidence that the area is seeing growth like never before.

I also don't think the loss of Mylan will hugely effect the Morgantown community (at least not for longer than a year), as with the incoming tech company bringing in ~ let's say 500 jobs and the Children's Hospital (which appears to be getting closer to completion) bringing in ~ let's say 1000 jobs - that makes up for the 1500 jobs lost due to Mylan. Morgantown losing Mylan rather than having both facilities is very detrimental and truly sucks for that community, but I don't think it will have as major of an impact as you suggest. Not to mention the Hyperloop will bring 13,000 jobs over the next 5-years that will be "long-term operational", and around 200 high paying permanent engineer jobs. I can imagine much of that 13,000 will want to stay in the Morgantown area, and new permanent employment opportunities will follow them there.

I almost wonder if it's too late for the state to try to save Mylan and maybe give a good deal to Pfizer. Seems like an odd time for a Pharma company to close a facility.

Morgantown is in a good spot I'd say. Plus with more remote jobs available, the city could take advantage of that in bringing new residents. I hear the city has a major housing shortage problem, specifically for rentals which is odd, must mean developers are hitting where they need to, probably leads to very high rental costs I'd imagine.

Morgantown is doing a lot better than Pittsburgh. It wouldn't shock me if some companies leave Pitt for Morgantown if the state plays their cards right. I can imagine it's not cheap to do business in PA.

If and only if the state plays its cards right, I can imagine the county doubling in a decade. I know cities with over 200,000 people that couldn't even imagine having any of the jobs I listed come to their community, much less in a year or so. Consolidation would really be the key to the vault though.

The state must be doing something right for the region, Morgantown won against Raleigh and 21 other states for the Hyperloop project.

Edit: The hyperloop center will be in Tucker County, I don't know what that is, but I assume it's close enough to Morgantown to have an impact.

Last edited by Archer705; 02-01-2021 at 09:41 PM..

Old 02-02-2021, 12:35 PM

629 posts, read 722,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
In the case of Morgantown, while the city itself has somewhat slowed (still relatively fast growing), the county is still growing at a major rate. West Ridge, Suncrest, and UTC are evidence that the area is seeing growth like never before.

This. Morgantown city-limits are very odd and disjointed. The areas that have room to grow are basically all outside of city limits. The county is doing very well with the exception of Mylan.

Old 02-02-2021, 05:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 1,958,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War-Lord View Post
I don’t agree with this at all. Huntington and Morgantown are growing BECAUSE of the universities and having them in the cities is a great a thing. Martinsburg’s proximity to Washington is another good thing and brings more people to live there. None of these things are bad for the cities.
Huntington is growing? The city, and metro area, has been losing population for decades. The metro has lost around 15K residents in the last decade, with the city itself losing around 5K of that total.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:05 AM

15,770 posts, read 14,213,958 times
Think we could get back to discussing Tanyard Station?

Old 02-12-2021, 09:02 AM

1,872 posts, read 1,958,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Has anyone checked out the Tanyard Station website in a while? I just did and noticed that the site plan pictures two indoor storage unit buildings, a three story mixed use building, a hotel, and some small shops. I wonder if they are just conceptualizing or if there's plans for any of this. The storage units would be the nail in the coffin for the development if they are part of the next phase. I finding the mixed use building interesting.

https://www.ira-realty.com/commercia...nyard-station/
In front of the Tanyard Property, the developers now have a sign promoting the indoor climate controlled storage building.

Some may consider my criticism as being harsh but Tanyard is a failure. The developers have proven that they're not the right company to lead a retail type project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington