Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2022, 12:14 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,149,217 times

Advertisements

A similar project (perhaps on a smaller scale?) would be a great addition to the Huntington/Metro Valley area, especially when it can be used to help secure more of the youth sports tournaments.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/pi...wa/8240415001/

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...e/69600426007/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 07:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
A similar project (perhaps on a smaller scale?) would be a great addition to the Huntington/Metro Valley area, especially when it can be used to help secure more of the youth sports tournaments.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/pi...wa/8240415001/

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...e/69600426007/
Love it! Indoor water parks seem to be a hit all year, but especially in the winter.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:29 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,948,424 times
A project like this would be nice for sure. I think a good start though would be a nice indoor sports complex in the area close to the MU Football stadium. Bring together Marshall, the City, the County, the Y and anyone else who has a stake in it. Something like that could be a big draw.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
A project like this would be nice for sure. I think a good start though would be a nice indoor sports complex in the area close to the MU Football stadium. Bring together Marshall, the City, the County, the Y and anyone else who has a stake in it. Something like that could be a big draw.

Forgive my negativity, but I can see Marshall and the Y not wanting to be involved. Given their existing rec facilities and wanting to protect them. Short-sighted or not in that thinking. Also, not sure there is a viable piece of land close to the football stadium that's not been earmarked for a future project. Viable or not.

I like the idea of having this type of facility closer to the interstate, to help draw more visitors. Something like this, or the scaled-down indoor sports complex you mentioned, could help revitalize the Huntington Mall complex. Especially if they lose another major anchor store. It might've worked at Tanyard, but they don't have enough space. Maybe at the former K-Mart shopping plaza on Rt. 60?

Old 03-21-2023, 04:49 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,948,424 times
The Y doesn’t really have a place for indoor soccer and something like this could help expand their offerings. If made nice enough, Marshall could even use half of it for their soccer teams as well. That was more of the type of indoor facility I was imagining. One with a couple of soccer fields that the Y could also maybe use for indoor flag football, etc.

Another thing I’d like to see is the AD Lewis Center partner with Cabell County Schools. They could do some significant upgrades to the track and football field there and add some nice stands so that the two Huntington Middle Schools could use that as their football field, similar to how the old Huntington High and East used the field house and baseball field there. Then the football team that plays over the summer at the AD Lewis field would benefit as well. Plus, it would further help to clean that area up.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The Y doesn’t really have a place for indoor soccer and something like this could help expand their offerings. If made nice enough, Marshall could even use half of it for their soccer teams as well. That was more of the type of indoor facility I was imagining. One with a couple of soccer fields that the Y could also maybe use for indoor flag football, etc.

Another thing I’d like to see is the AD Lewis Center partner with Cabell County Schools. They could do some significant upgrades to the track and football field there and add some nice stands so that the two Huntington Middle Schools could use that as their football field, similar to how the old Huntington High and East used the field house and baseball field there. Then the football team that plays over the summer at the AD Lewis field would benefit as well. Plus, it would further help to clean that area up.

Gotcha. I like the idea of incorporating the indoor fields for soccer and even lacrosse use. I like the idea of MU and the Y partnering and would hope that the leadership of both sees those benefits. Not just fall into some of the non-cooperative behavior and decisions of the past that have held the city back.

If the rumors turn out to be true about Kroger moving to the old ACF parking lot site, what about having the playing fields built on top of the building? An inflatable dome could be utilized during the winter months to keep the sports up and running.

I like your ideas for the AD Lewis Center. It could help serve as another catalyst for redevelopment, like you mentioned. Especially if say a new playground and outdoor rec space can be incorporated as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington