U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2016, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,114 posts, read 6,791,839 times
Reputation: 761

Advertisements

With all of the news about these two developments expected over the coming months, I figured they deserved their own thread. I know some of this is old news but here's the latest from WSAZ:

Environmental concerns stand in the way of Tanyard Station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2016, 08:19 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,040,901 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
With all of the news about these two developments expected over the coming months, I figured they deserved their own thread. I know some of this is old news but here's the latest from WSAZ:

Environmental concerns stand in the way of Tanyard Station
Quote:
The names of the retailers have not been released, but Tatum says they will be unlike anything we currently have in the area.
That really perks my ears up! Since it seems like we have a pretty good idea of the "types" of businesses going there, but it makes me wonder "how unlike" will these places be? Does he mean that it the businesses moving in there will just be "new brands" to the area, or state? Or does he mean that these new businesses will have something extra to offer that others in the area currently do not?

Anyway, at least it looks like we have a start time: The bats fly south in November, so the any construction would have to start in December. At least, I would assume as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 09:51 PM
 
1,281 posts, read 990,168 times
Reputation: 248
I did some looking around about bass pro shop and I think I know why there are none in the state. To build a store they demand at minimum 35 million dollars from the developer/county and city and then the local areas usually have to hold the bonds for them and the center of the store with the fish tank and mountain thing, they sometimes make the city zone it and annex that part of the store as essentially a park, that way they don't have to pay property tax on that part of the store. The new ones they have built in FL they have gotten 125 million for with all sorts of other give always. Apparently Cabelas somewhat operates this way but they don't ask for nearly as much money. Over last 15 years bass pro has gotten over 1.5 billion dollars to build new stores. That is just insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2016, 10:27 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,040,901 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I did some looking around about bass pro shop and I think I know why there are none in the state. To build a store they demand at minimum 35 million dollars from the developer/county and city and then the local areas usually have to hold the bonds for them and the center of the store with the fish tank and mountain thing, they sometimes make the city zone it and annex that part of the store as essentially a park, that way they don't have to pay property tax on that part of the store. The new ones they have built in FL they have gotten 125 million for with all sorts of other give always. Apparently Cabelas somewhat operates this way but they don't ask for nearly as much money. Over last 15 years bass pro has gotten over 1.5 billion dollars to build new stores. That is just insane.
I mean, don't get me wrong, I would love a Bass Pro or Cabelas, but I am not down with them not paying property taxes. Think about all of the money that the village would be losing. I hope that if either one come to the Station, that they don't make the village do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 04:43 AM
 
335 posts, read 185,494 times
Reputation: 181
Let's just hope that if it does come down to them building one that they do it as a destination type store like Wheeling and not what they put up at southridge which is a glorified Gander Mountain. At this point anything coming in new to the area would be awesome and worth the drive. Charleston thinks that Tudor's, Gino's and a Gas Station are progress so hopefully your folks have some higher aspirations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 05:32 AM
 
1,281 posts, read 990,168 times
Reputation: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
I mean, don't get me wrong, I would love a Bass Pro or Cabelas, but I am not down with them not paying property taxes. Think about all of the money that the village would be losing. I hope that if either one come to the Station, that they don't make the village do that.
Yeah I don't know how anyone anywhere in the state right now could justify blowing 40 million dollars to bring in bass pro. I'd love for them to build in the state, but if any community gave them that money, it'd be very fiscally dumb. Heck for 40 million you could buy yourself an ammunition plant with plenty to spare (the ammunition plant coming to Charleston is supposedly getting 25-27 million within first 5 years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 10:04 AM
 
507 posts, read 377,129 times
Reputation: 50
Awesome! Happy we have a thread now dedicated to these projects! Sounds like some very exciting things are in the works. On a site note, Interstate Realty just announced they are going to build another shopping plaza on Corridor G and may I just say that the Charleston Gazette seems to be leaps and bounds better with Business reporting compared to the pathetic HD; maybe they should take some notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 02:45 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,040,901 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcesomstudent View Post
Awesome! Happy we have a thread now dedicated to these projects! Sounds like some very exciting things are in the works. On a site note, Interstate Realty just announced they are going to build another shopping plaza on Corridor G and may I just say that the Charleston Gazette seems to be leaps and bounds better with Business reporting compared to the pathetic HD; maybe they should take some notes.
We should each write a letter to H-D explaining our concerns. I mean if enough people complain, then maybe they will think, "maybe would should look more into these other stories." Or maybe they won't. Lol. Idk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2016, 04:43 PM
 
51 posts, read 42,759 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
That really perks my ears up! Since it seems like we have a pretty good idea of the "types" of businesses going there, but it makes me wonder "how unlike" will these places be? Does he mean that it the businesses moving in there will just be "new brands" to the area, or state? Or does he mean that these new businesses will have something extra to offer that others in the area currently do not?

Anyway, at least it looks like we have a start time: The bats fly south in November, so the any construction would have to start in December. At least, I would assume as much.


I would interpret that to mean that the stores and restaurants are ones that we do not currently have in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2016, 05:12 AM
 
507 posts, read 377,129 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
We should each write a letter to H-D explaining our concerns. I mean if enough people complain, then maybe they will think, "maybe would should look more into these other stories." Or maybe they won't. Lol. Idk
I would absolutely encourage everyone to send emails to them. I email the HD (and numerous other local news outlets) frequently regarding these stories and other story ideas, etc. There's strength in numbers so if more people are keeping on them about covering things, maybe they would do a better job. Couldn't hurt anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top