Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 03:36 PM

194 posts, read 181,786 times

Advertisements

I will be retiring soon at 50 being mildly physically disabled

My income is portable and wanting to move some ware I have never been with nerd amenities and low cost housing and Huntington is 1 of 4 places I'm considering

Huntington keeps coming up as a place to retire, but that is directed at older well off yuppity retirees

Huntington keeps coming up on searches for cheapest homes in the US

Huntington has three Nerd Genre conventions a year

Huntington has a Library with lots of activities

BUT any open search on Huntington brings up only hits on the drug problem

So how is living in Huntington outside the inner core of the downtown

how is it for nerds

And how is it for the disabled

Have they made any improvements in flood control (I check any house I will be looking at against the FEMA flood maps)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 05:38 PM

632 posts, read 831,145 times
This is a very odd question but I'll give it a go. You should be more than fine. Huntington is a great place to live. It has a drug/crime problem primarily near downtown like any larger cities, but nothing that should concern the every day resident provided that they don't surround themselves in those types of situations. Huntington doesn't have flood problems. There is a 30' floodwall that surrounds the city and the Ohio River is dammed for flood control. Home prices are great, it has the largest mall in the state, there are many large conventions/concerts that come to town, and it's within close driving distance to other cities like Columbus, Cincinnati, Lexington, Louisville if you need any "nerd" culture there. As for asking about how it is for the disabled, I really couldn't tell you but doubt you'd have any problems there either

Old 03-30-2017, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,970 times
4th avenue is for NERDS. You have two comic book stores. A fantasy game shop/card shop and a retro video game cafe/store. Within 30 miles you have tons more comic book stores, vintage video games. The LARPing community has a large group that meets Almost every evening at Ritter park.

Some search terms to help you:

Rare Drops Video Games
Purple Earth Comics
Hometown Hobbies
Comic World

Conventions:
Tsubascon
Power Up Vintage Game convention
Tricon (TRISTATE comic convention)

Within 30 miles:
Time Warp Games and Collectibles
2nd chance games
Superhero Creamery and T Shirt factory
Both Milton flea market and Ashland flea market have three really good video game store and numerous comic book stores

LARPers:

LARP LLC
https://www.meetup.com/Huntington-Amtgard/

Also there is an active railroad and model rail community. I assume you NERDs are into that too? I wouldn't know because I'm super cool.

With respect to your disability, Huntington is one of few cities in region recognized for its friendliness to those with handicaps... especially the blind. Downtown is flat and easily walkable. There are pockets of crime like any city. I live here with my wife and kids and we love it.

Last edited by SpanishPantalones; 03-30-2017 at 06:19 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 09:25 PM

73 posts, read 83,468 times
Nerds Galore! If you can't find your people at the above places mentioned, there are also gaming communities in Ashland and Charleston, not to mention people who just get together and play games. There are also several computer nerd groups on campus. It depends on what kind of nerdism you're into. But you should be well supported, no matter what your proclivities.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:02 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,973 times
Also, if you're a fan of podcasts, the McElroy brothers of My Brother My Brother and Me (and related projects like The Adventure Zone, Sawbones, Still Buffering and a host of others) are originally from here (one still is here, as well as their dad). A month ago they released their MBMBAM TV show on SeeSo, which was filmed in town. I highly recommend watching some of it to get a feel for town.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:02 PM

Thanks for your responses, several of those I had found already

The anime con caught my eye as I used to teach a class and run a repair station at a con, when I know for sure when and ware I'm moving I'll join the con forums

Already saved the Amtgard meetup page not that I'm a member but I used to make ren fair and SCA Accessories

I notice Meetup says there are 50 people in Huntington waiting for some one to start a RPG or table top game

I plan to get a house with a space for a game room and craft room for my leather and costume hobbies

I'm wary of some of the way to cheap houses What are the worse areas of town by street or zip

Going by this map

https://www.mapwv.gov/flood/map/

The areas around Cemetery hill is the safest from floods in town but i don't know how the bus routes are there (I can drive now but not in a year or two)

Do all the buses have a Wheel chair lift (Not in a chair yet but i cant carry much and shop with a granny cart)

Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 PM

73 posts, read 83,468 times
Busses DO have wheelchair lifts, and you would also have access to the shuttle (Dial-A-Ride | Tri-State Transit Authority) that will take you door to door. Again, don't worry about flooding from the Ohio: the river has been neutralized. The Guyandotte river, looking at the flood map, never floods like that, and if it does, God help us all. Seriously, most of that area is industrial and you won't be living there anyway. However, there are a couple of areas near Ritter Park that may suffer some minor flooding from a creek. And a couple of streets and avenues flood after heavy downpours, causing traffic ruckus but not lasting more than a couple of hours.

It would be hard to recommend houses by zip; some sections of town will be great and then two blocks over is a no-go. Search up some houses you like, then drop yourself into that hood using Google Earth and have a look around. If you come up with some specific streets or areas, then ask again.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:50 AM

4 posts, read 8,970 times
Move to the southside. Easy access to downtown even by foot/chair via 10th street viaduct. Apartments that are affordable. Close proximity to the Larpers. Do a proximity search and use the YMCA as your jumping off point. Plenty available, affordable, livable.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:13 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishPantalones View Post
Move to the southside. Easy access to downtown even by foot/chair via 10th street viaduct. Apartments that are affordable. Close proximity to the Larpers. Do a proximity search and use the YMCA as your jumping off point. Plenty available, affordable, livable.
I second this. I live on the Southside and it's very convenient. In addition to the above, there's also a nice little neighborhood grocery for all of the basics when you don't want to drive to a larger store.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:44 PM

Ok what are the borders of southside and I'm looking at homes in the $30K to $50k range (the same homes would be four times as much ware I am now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington