U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 03:28 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,850,454 times

Advertisements

Marshall wins Round 1!

Marshall defeats Wichita State 81-75 in first tournament win | News | herald-dispatch.com

Herd Shocks the Shockers, Get First NCAA Tournament Win in Program History

Last edited by tbailey1138; 03-16-2018 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 03:50 PM

10,259 posts, read 10,376,934 times
It was a tight game, but the Herd finally pulled it off. Had me on the edge of my seat for the whole game. I think I've seen them play a little better than they did today, but it was surely a good win.

On to Sunday.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It was a tight game, but the Herd finally pulled it off. Had me on the edge of my seat for the whole game. I think I've seen them play a little better than they did today, but it was surely a good win.

On to Sunday.
Both of their last 2 games have been nail biters! Hopefully they keep on playing hard!

Old 03-17-2018, 05:19 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,016,878 times
It was a nice win for Marshall. I have no connection to Marshall but listened to it on the radio. One of the premier upsets of the tournament until UMBC came along. LOL

Anyway, should make for an interesting Sunday for West Virginia.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It was a nice win for Marshall. I have no connection to Marshall but listened to it on the radio. One of the premier upsets of the tournament until UMBC came along. LOL

Anyway, should make for an interesting Sunday for West Virginia.
Yeah, that UMBC and Virginia game was crazy! Hard to believe they won by 20 points.

Here's a nice write-up on the Marshall-WVU match up tomorrow:

Quote:
"You will have to ask West Virginia about that. I'm not going to go just play at Morgantown, so after that ask West Virginia," D'Antoni said. "I think it should be played. One time their place, one time our place, one time a neutral place, whatever.

"We're a Division I school. You've got to treat us like one. I would love to play. I'll needle them a little bit. I see somebody I can needle, so I'm going to needle them a little bit. We are playing West Virginia University. I coach Marshall University where West Virginians play. We'll just leave it at that."

Marshall and West Virginia used to meet yearly. From 1977-2015 it was an annual event in the state. And beginning with the 1991-92 season, any homecourt advantage was taken out of the discussion as the teams met on a neutral floor in Charleston.
West Virginia and Marshall forced back together in NCAAs | Ap Region | herald-dispatch.com

Old 03-18-2018, 06:04 AM

71,504 posts, read 30,016,878 times
It's unfortunate that it's "all about the money". Taxpayers fund both of these schools and the yearly game is something many would like to see.

I'm rooting for Marshall for that very reason but truthfully, I'm not going to place any money on it.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:56 AM

I have never in my life seen anybody else so obsessed with the athletic budget at a school. Anywhere.

That being said, let's get back to the topic of Marshall Sports.

In the past year, I can think of two events that Marshall conducted that had to cost some money, but they did them anyway, because it was the right thing to do.

Just days ago, they opened the Henderson Center for a watch party for the NCAA tournament lineup announcement show.

Last fall the opened The Joan for a showing of the movie "We Are Marshall."

Both were free to attend.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:38 PM

There's a discussion going on today on Facebook about what is the most important game in Marshall's history. Today's game isn't in the running. Not even if the discussion is limited to basketball.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:16 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There's a discussion going on today on Facebook about what is the most important game in Marshall's history. Today's game isn't in the running. Not even if the discussion is limited to basketball.
Well, I meant basketball since that is the event of the moment. Marshall has never won a game in the Big Dance before, so it would be interesting to know what they consider to be a bigger basketball game for them than this one (a chance to get to the Sweet 16). What do you think was a bigger game?

Old 03-18-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Well, I meant basketball since that is the event of the moment. Marshall has never won a game in the Big Dance before, so it would be interesting to know what they consider to be a bigger basketball game for them than this one (a chance to get to the Sweet 16). What do you think was a bigger game?
I don't know enough about the Cam Henderson years or the time Hal Greer played, so I feel unqualified to judge. The fact that they just won a game in the NCAA tournament is a bigger deal than winning a 2nd game. They already did something the program has never done before, so that stands on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or