Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 PM

938 posts, read 2,890,629 times

Advertisements

Bubble was filmed in Parkersburg like two years ago. It was an artsy type of thing by the dude that directed Traffic. Souderburgh or whatever it is. It wasn't condescending, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 10:49 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,974,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
The movie definately is a showcase for WV. From the tourism piece at the beginning to the movie itself, it showcases the state and it's people. I think that the thing that really sets this movie apart from other movies about WV is that most of it was actually filmed here except the football scenes. You usually hear about a movie being made about WV but other than Matewan, no other movie (to my knowledge) was actually filmed here and even Matewan was hard for people to relate to as it was set in the 1920s. The movies are usually filmed in TN or PA and try to take a jab at WV (Wrong Turn) rather than actually celebrating it. I think that "We are Marshall" succeeds on nearly all levels and will always be special to the people of Huntington for the memories the movie brought back but also created.
Tim
Aside from that phony southern accent..lol

When the WVU players came in with the Marshall cross on their helmets... My eyes got watery...

Old 10-14-2008, 06:04 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,057,582 times
It was a good movie. I'm glad that it's helping the enrollment at Marshall, the school and community needs it.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:50 AM

4,944 posts, read 8,905,406 times
Default Marshall nominated for Best Campus in the Nation

Saw this today and thought I'd share. It's a pretty neat honor to be in the running for something like this. I think this speaks volumes to the offerings that Marshall University has for its students, especially since they've been nominated twice in the last 5 years. Here's the article from the Marshall Parthenon. Marshall nominated for Best Campus - News

Tim

Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Go Herd!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,057,582 times
It's nice and all, but may not be as prestigious as the title would lead you to believe. Sounds like they are up for the award because they have a solid programming board. At least that's what i took from the article.

There are a lot of great college campus's in the country, and Marshall is probably not near the top of the list on a real nationwide contest.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:36 AM

10,147 posts, read 14,992,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
It's nice and all, but may not be as prestigious as the title would lead you to believe. Sounds like they are up for the award because they have a solid programming board. At least that's what i took from the article.

There are a lot of great college campus's in the country, and Marshall is probably not near the top of the list on a real nationwide contest.
I think Bailey made the nomination. Or, maybe Herdgirl?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I think Bailey made the nomination. Or, maybe Herdgirl?
Lets all take a whiz on the everything to do/or about Huntington! Would that make you happy??? Its sad how people get so overly jealous.

Oh... CTMountaineer. I'm a dude

Old 01-28-2009, 01:52 PM

4,944 posts, read 8,905,406 times
Silk, I have to disagree. This award has to do with offerings that are available to students for activties, i.e. things to do. I think it speaks highly of Marshall and Huntington that they are one of the top 5 schools in things to do for students. And from all accounts, this was "a real nationwide contest." The other top schools were Boston University, Central Michigan University, Ohio State University and Roanoke College. They received nearly 13,000 nominations from 4,500 institutions. That doesn't sound like it was just from the Tri-state region or anything.

And CT, you continue to exhibit poor reading comprehension. Here's a quote from the article " Most of the nominations came from entertainers who felt like they were treated well by programming boards and the campuses in general, he said." Last time I checked, I'm not in the entertainment industry.

Tim

Last edited by tbailey1138; 01-28-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 06:07 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,992,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Lets all take a whiz on the everything to do/or about Huntington! Would that make you happy??? Its sad how people get so overly jealous.

Oh... CTMountaineer. I'm a dude
It was a joke, and Herdgirl is Silk's wife. You're being too sensitive. Nobody's trying to whiz on Huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington