Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2023, 06:36 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times

Advertisements

When I think of West Virginia, I think of it being more in the Columbus orbit. When I think of Cincinnati, I think of them being more aligned with Kentucky.

Which city is more important to and more connected to Huntington? Cincinnati or Columbus? I'm talking about places people migrate to, for jobs and for commerce. Which city do you think Huntingtonians have a greater affinity for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2023, 07:54 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
In all honesty, I’d say it’s pretty even as both are just about 2 1/2 hours away. People go to Columbus more for shopping and the zoo there is better than the one in Cincinnati. They also have a nice science center there in COSI. Pullman Square here in Huntington is actually run by a group out of Columbus so there’s a direct connection there. If people move for a job to one or the other, I’ve heard of people going to Columbus more. They also travel out of the Columbus airport more often.

Because of the sports teams and Kings Island, there’s a pretty close connection to Cincinnati too. In addition, being an Ohio river town as well has also probably linked Huntington and Cincy more historically. That probably also creates a lot of economic connections as goods travel along the River between the two. There are also the riverboat cruises that come from Cincinnati that frequently stop in Huntington. People from here also frequent the aquarium in Covington, KY just across the River from Cincy.

Without any hard numbers and just from my personal knowledge and experience, I’d say it’s pretty even.

Old 04-08-2023, 12:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
In all honesty, I’d say it’s pretty even as both are just about 2 1/2 hours away. People go to Columbus more for shopping and the zoo there is better than the one in Cincinnati. They also have a nice science center there in COSI. Pullman Square here in Huntington is actually run by a group out of Columbus so there’s a direct connection there. If people move for a job to one or the other, I’ve heard of people going to Columbus more. They also travel out of the Columbus airport more often.

Because of the sports teams and Kings Island, there’s a pretty close connection to Cincinnati too. In addition, being an Ohio river town as well has also probably linked Huntington and Cincy more historically. That probably also creates a lot of economic connections as goods travel along the River between the two. There are also the riverboat cruises that come from Cincinnati that frequently stop in Huntington. People from here also frequent the aquarium in Covington, KY just across the River from Cincy.

Without any hard numbers and just from my personal knowledge and experience, I’d say it’s pretty even.
So it sounds like what you're saying is for everyday matters other than sports, it sounds like Columbus. But sports is a big factor and that's why Cincinnati is about equal.

Having lived down there briefly, I knew nobody with West Virginia roots. Everything is Kentucky over there when it comes to Appalachian people, which is understandable since they are next door neighbors. Here in Columbus somebody having West Virginia roots is also very common, but Kentucky as well. More West Virginia than Kentucky.

Old 04-10-2023, 05:06 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,946,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
So it sounds like what you're saying is for everyday matters other than sports, it sounds like Columbus. But sports is a big factor and that's why Cincinnati is about equal.
That's a fair summation.

Old 04-15-2023, 11:37 PM

56 posts, read 66,149 times
Hey everyone, new account here, but a former longtime poster that lost my account over the years due to inactivity. I'll definitely agree with tbailey, Cinci and Columbus are pretty much split up amongst the greater Huntington metro residents. Folks in Wayne/Ashland area likely utilize Cinci more often, and those in Barboursville, Milton and Hurricane seem to use Columbus. Putnam/Teays Valley area tend to migrate more between TV and Columbus due to the completion of Route 35 and it's easy access. Also, clearly folks in Jackson County and Wood County have very quick and easy access to Columbus via Route 33.
We choose to fly out of Columbus because it has more destinations and is usually cheaper than flying out of Charleston or Huntington.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:06 AM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post

Having lived down there briefly, I knew nobody with West Virginia roots. Everything is Kentucky over there when it comes to Appalachian people, which is understandable since they are next door neighbors. Here in Columbus somebody having West Virginia roots is also very common, but Kentucky as well. More West Virginia than Kentucky.
Sports and Kings Island.
Also, historically, Marshall and Miami of Ohio, which is in Greater Cincinnati, were longtime conference rivals in the Mid-American Conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington