U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 PM

9,416 posts, read 11,522,646 times

Advertisements

He will absolutely have a caniption fit. Those things aren't supposed to be said about the river city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 11:31 PM

63 posts, read 178,105 times
I'll distract tim with christmas tunes..fa la la la lalala la la.....yikes.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:06 AM

4,158 posts, read 6,881,295 times
Sorry CT, no caniption fits here. I'd love to see what you would do if someone did the same type of thing for Morgantown though, because they easily could. I think some of the points this poster made can be said about nearly ANY city. No city I know of is devoid of crime. And yes, Huntington has probems but what area doesn't? There is no Utopian society where residents don't have to put up with petty theft, gun crimes and even murder. And crime is getting worse nationwide, unfortunately.

Now I do have to TOTALLY disagree with several points this poster made. First off, this type of stuff does not happen daily or even weekly here. Does it happen here? Yes, but there aren't many (if any) cities of 50,000, especially when they are the second largest city in the state, that could say that nothing like this happens there. As shown in other links, Huntington doesn't even make the top 5 worst violent crime cities in WV, yet it's the second largest city. It also has one of the highest clearance or solve rates among the police department, nearly 20% higher than the national average. I think that says something as to the quality of our police department. And they keep adding numbers.

And regardless of what the poster thinks, I DO live in Huntington in city limits. Do I visit the mall every once in awhile? Sure do. But I spend most of my time downtown. I love downtown and love walking around 3rd, 4th and 5th avenues and have spent lots of time helping to revitalize the riverfront and never once had a problem. I also have yet, in my 29 years of living here, to have an evening out ruined by "drunken college kids that are screaming and trying to start trouble". Had some experiences like that when I was in college in another town, but none like that here. And sorry, but Huntington didn't make the list of the fastest dying towns in the nation. A lot of revitalization is going on here and I'm proud of the work being done.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And while I agree that there are some things that Huntington needs to work on, I think it is a great place to live and highly recommend it to anyone.

Tim

Old 12-20-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Sorry CT, no caniption fits here. I'd love to see what you would do if someone did the same type of thing for Morgantown though, because they easily could. I think some of the points this poster made can be said about nearly ANY city. No city I know of is devoid of crime. And yes, Huntington has probems but what area doesn't? There is no Utopian society where residents don't have to put up with petty theft, gun crimes and even murder. And crime is getting worse nationwide, unfortunately.

Now I do have to TOTALLY disagree with several points this poster made. First off, this type of stuff does not happen daily or even weekly here. Does it happen here? Yes, but there aren't many (if any) cities of 50,000, especially when they are the second largest city in the state, that could say that nothing like this happens there. As shown in other links, Huntington doesn't even make the top 5 worst violent crime cities in WV, yet it's the second largest city. It also has one of the highest clearance or solve rates among the police department, nearly 20% higher than the national average. I think that says something as to the quality of our police department. And they keep adding numbers.

And regardless of what the poster thinks, I DO live in Huntington in city limits. Do I visit the mall every once in awhile? Sure do. But I spend most of my time downtown. I love downtown and love walking around 3rd, 4th and 5th avenues and have spent lots of time helping to revitalize the riverfront and never once had a problem. I also have yet, in my 29 years of living here, to have an evening out ruined by "drunken college kids that are screaming and trying to start trouble". Had some experiences like that when I was in college in another town, but none like that here. And sorry, but Huntington didn't make the list of the fastest dying towns in the nation. A lot of revitalization is going on here and I'm proud of the work being done.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And while I agree that there are some things that Huntington needs to work on, I think it is a great place to live and highly recommend it to anyone.

Tim
Tim... Tim, ... Nobody even mentioned Morgantown. The thread is about Huntington. And, notice I said nothing negative. Why would you say something like that about Morgantown. In fact, it would be hard for anyone to say such a thing about Morgantown. Here is what others are saying about Morgantown:

Morgantown Awards Continue to grow

As you can see, The University City has been given awards by no fewer than six national publications for quality of life and for economic prospects.

And, Huntington's most recent crime index (2006... the most recent year on record) was 642.9, and that doesn't count the 11 murders that happened in that small town the previous year. Morgantown's crime index was 325.1, about half that of Huntington. Like Huntington, they are trying to reduce that figure (which is lower than the national average), but you can't make the same statements about Morgantown. Sorry to bring it up, but you mentoned it first.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:05 AM

As usual, you missed the point of me even bringing Morgantown up. Huntington is dear to me as Morgantown is to you. You may not have said anything negative but the sarcasm in your statement was not missed. If you meant nothing negative or sarcastic, then why even post what you did? Someone could easily go through and get many crime ridden headlines from Morgantown about shootings, beatings and drug crimes. It doesn't mean that is all that goes on there though. Morgantown is a great place but just because it wins awards doesn't mean that crime doesn't happen there. On the contrary, we both know that's not true. Some goes for Huntington. A lot of great things happen here but that doesn't mean there's no crime. And from the link you gave me before, even though the violent crime index in Huntington is higher, the violent crime per 1,000 residents is higher in Morgantown. Everyone has stats they can throw around but again, the point of my post was merely to show that bad things happen every where. Look at some of the headlines in Charleston or even Logan Co. No place is exempt from having desparate people willing to take from others because they are too worthless to earn it themselves.

Last edited by tbailey1138; 12-20-2008 at 07:35 AM..

Old 12-20-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
As usual, you missed the point of me even bringing Morgantown up. Huntington is dear to me as Morgantown is to you. You may not have said anything negative but the sarcasm in your statement was not missed. If you meant nothing negative or sarcastic, then why even post what you did? Someone could easily go through and get many crime ridden headlines from Morgantown about shootings, beatings and drug crimes. It doesn't mean that is all that goes on there though. Morgantown is a great place but just because it wins awards doesn't mean that crime doesn't happen there. On the contrary, we both know that's not true. Some goes for Huntington. A lot of great things happen here but that doesn't mean there's no crime. And from the link you gave me before, even though the violent crime index in Huntington is higher, the violent crime per 1,000 residents is higher in Morgantown. Everyone has stats they can throw around but again, the point of my post was merely to show that bad things happen every where. Look at some of the headlines in Charleston or even Logan Co. No place is exempt from having desparate people willing to take from others because they are too worthless to earn it themselves.
Tim, ... the crime index is indexed to population. Huntington has more violent crime period, including per thousand... twice as much. Like you said, that doesn't mean crime doesn't happen in Morgantown, but it is lower than the national average even counting rural areas. I have no doubt at all the Huntington's crime rate is lower overall than Charleston's, but that is another issue.

That said, in fairness it should be pointed out there is a reason for the difference. A lot of it has to do with the characteristics of the residents. More than half of Morgantown's population has at least a bachelors degree, and thousands have advanced degrees. Huntington, as we both have discussed, is a blue collar town with only 1 in 5 people having a bachelors degree. There is a much higher percentage of people on the lower end of the spectrum educationally in Huntington. If that were to change, likely the crime rate would too.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 PM

424 posts, read 1,084,665 times
I grew up in the southern hills of Ohio and snakes, poisonous spiders and the likes were occasionally stumbled upon, but I never knew one person to have to even go to the hospital from it. I wouldn't be worried, just educate yourself on what they look like and you will be fine.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 PM

5 posts, read 7,227 times
Default Transportation in and near Huntington: The Airport

Howdy y'all,

I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts about the area. I am from the deep South, so I don't think this are would be too much of a culture shock for me.

I am thinking about moving to Huntington for a possible job @ Marshall. I have a family of four, with two small kids. Where are some good areas for families? Are KY and OH options? I don't mind driving 15-25 mins to work.

Also, what is the airport like there? Small? expensive? And how about Amtrak? If you didn't fly into Huntington, what are other aiport options?

Thanks in Advance!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,504,207 times
The other airport options would be Charleston (about 30 minute drive from Huntington) or, hmm, I'm not sure where it would be Columbus or Cincinatti - but do know you can usually get a lot cheaper rates out of Columbus..

There are Amtrak stations in Chas, Huntington, and other places in WV Amtrak - Station Search Results

Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM

If you are going to be working at Marshall, I suggest living in Huntington as long as you find what suits you. There are several nice places in town with great homes and quick access to whatever you need. The Southside area around Ritter Park is a great area for families. It's quiet here and you have quick access to Ritter Park and the nice playground there with a new expansion that is to be completed this Spring. There are also several Tennis Courts, an Outdoor ampitheater and biking/walking paths there which are also currently being expanded. You are also just a quick trip to work, downtown, theater venues, the Museum of Art, etc. Other nice areas in Huntington to look at are around the art museum, homes off Washington Blvd., homes off Norway Avenue and if you have the money then Stamford Park is REALLY nice. If you prefer a subdivision, there's a new one off of 5th street rd. calledPleasant Valley Estates that has some pretty nice houses too. If you can't find what you are looking for in Huntington, then check out Barboursville, Milton or the areas between all three. Here are some links for you.

City of Huntington, West Virginia
The Greater Huntington Community Web Portal
Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District
Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV

In terms of the airport, it is fairly small by most standards but it is the second largest in WV and it has seen some pretty good growth lately. They have direct flights to Cincinnati, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale with summer flights to Atlanta. They are also looking at adding another flight to the northeast some time soon but it hasn't been determined where yet. The flights to FL are also very cheap at around $79 one way, sometimes even cheaper. Other options for airports are Charleston(45 min away), Lexington(2hrs), Cincinnati and Columbus (just under 3hrs) as mentioned. Huntington does also have an Amtrak station with a popular fall excursion to the New River Gorge. Here are some travel links for you.

Tri-State Airport - Huntington, West Virginia

Amtrak - Stations - Huntington, WV (HUN)

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else.
Tim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington