U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM

28 posts, read 65,577 times

Advertisements

We are a young family with 3 boys. My husband is an ironworker and is 99% certain that we will transfer. to Ashland KY union hall. We have been looking around there and in Huntington for places to live. We would rent the first yr. in an apartment or house if poss. We could afford $7-$800 per mon. I am looking for a nice family friendly place with good schools. I have been reading and reading on all the areas. And of course there is mixed reviews. We will be coming down the second week in March to look around more. We are hoping to make the final move around Aug. 1st. ANY help would be appreciated. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:46 PM

4,136 posts, read 6,835,033 times
I recommend Huntington. Huntington offers more convenience and more things to do. There are more shopping, entertainment and dining options in Huntington. Huntington is also laid out better and offers better access to main highways. The schools here are also highly rated and the opportunities at Huntington High are great. There are some wonderful neighborhoods here that are close to parks, ballfields and schools so that you and your family can walk to such things. I highly recommend the area around Ritter Park. This is a very family oriented place with tree lined brick streets and beautiful old houses. You can be downtown or to the Huntington Mall, the largest mall in the state, in just minutes. Downtown is currently undergoing a lot of revitalization and the economic downtown hasn't really affected us too much here. Living in Huntington would also put you close to Marshall University and all of the things it offers like sporting events, theater and performance groups among other things. If you prefer a smaller town, then Barboursville might suit you better so make sure to check that area out as well. If you would like anymore tips on places to look for houses, just let me know and I'll do my best to help you out. The best suggestion I can give is to visit Huntington and Ashland and see which one suits you best. Here are some links for you to visit. Hope this helps.

Tim

City of Huntington, West Virginia
The Greater Huntington Community Web Portal
Marshall University, Huntington, WV
Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District
CABELL COUNTY SCHOOLS - DEDICATED TO THE SUCCESS OF EVERY STUDENT
Why Huntington WV (newer site that is still being developed)
Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment
http://www.huntingtonmall.com/home/index.ch2
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV
Home - Marshall Artists Series
Big Sandy Superstore Arena - Huntington, WV

Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 PM

28 posts, read 65,577 times
Thank you so much. I was told Huntington was "run down" looking. We will be coming the 2cond week in march to look more and so my husband can goto his union hall. How's the steel industry. Would you say he should be preyty stable with ironworking? The hall said they have some guys laid off but it has not been that bad at all. And there's alot coming up around spring or so. Thank you so much for your help. It's greatly appreciated

Old 02-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Everyone's perception is different and while Huntington could have been referred to as a little rundown a few years ago, this isn't really the case anymore. As with any town, there are some areas of Huntington that could use some sprucing up but by and large Huntington is a very nice city. Things just keep getting better downtown too with the continued streetscape upgrades and the building renovations that keep happening. Building is also strong here with new buildings at Marshall, new businesses downtown, new hotels, etc. From things I've heard, this will continue to go on as well.

As for the steel industry, it's pretty big here. There's AK in Ashland as you mentioned before but just in Huntington there's Steel of WV, Special Metals and Huntington Steel as well as some smaller places too. Nearly all of these places have had some layoffs due to the effects of the decline in the auto industry but most are still doing quite well. AK and Special Metals have plants in other locations as well so when they announce layoffs, it's usually a smaller amount locally. Here are some links to the other steel companies if this is useful. Let me know if you need anything else.
Tim

Special Metals :: 100 Years of Innovation
Steel of West Virginia, Inc.
Huntington Steel & Supply Company

Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 AM

24 posts, read 71,058 times
it depends on if you want a small town or biger town ,so if you want a smaller town go with ashland ,they only have a few places to shop but there are places to shop and there is a movie theatre and things that most places have but there most placed out ,so if you wanted a bigger place with more town area go with huntington and i imagine they have a better school system than ashland but i never whent there so im not sure i know you should pay real real good attention to the school you pick because some are down right rediculouse, but anyway hope i helped some

Old 03-22-2009, 04:42 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,215,211 times
Cabel Midland is an excellent school, or St. Mary's Catholic school. St. Marys actually is building a huge new addition and has climbing enrollments and the best curiculum in the county. I have a lot of friends that either go or went to St. Marys.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:58 PM

You mean St. Joseph's Catholic School, right?

Home
Home | St. Joseph Central Catholic High School (http://www.stjosephhs.org/index.php/pages/home - broken link)

Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,215,211 times
ha ha... sorry. Yes I meant St. Joseph's. I'm glad you caught that. Not St. Marys Medical Center or nursing school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington