Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 11:41 AM

424 posts, read 1,293,484 times

Advertisements

I don't totally rely on statistics on these forums to dictate to me what crime is like in a town/city.

Can anyone give me feedback on the following related to Huntington?

1.) What area/streets would you not live in/on due to crime?

2.) What area would you not walk after dark?

3.) Have you ever been a victim of any crimes in Huntington?

4.) Does it seem that crime has gotten better or worse in the last few years in Huntington?

Thanks!
I realize all areas with population have crime, but I am trying to elminate locations I would live in Huntington, WV area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:31 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,780 times
check out TPBailey or tbailey on this site. He has lots of info on this area of WV

Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,670 times
The main area of crime in Huntington is in the area around the government housing, unfortunately for the people who have to live there. This area is between 16th St and 20th St and from 8th Ave to 13th Ave. Something like 80% of the crime in the city happens in this area. This is the only area I would say that one would want to avoid after dark. There are small sections on the very east end and on the west end that tend to see more property crime than the rest of the city but they are otherwise fine. Part of the problem in those areas is an increase in the number of college kids who don't take precautions and leave things out in the open and unlocked. The biggest thing is that if you aren't involved in anything you shouldn't be, you'll be OK. The violent crime that does happen here aren't just innocent people caught in the wrong place, it's arguments that become violent.

I've lived in the area most of my life and I've never been a victim of any type of crime and I've never witnessed any crime happening. The only time I've ever had anything happen to me personally was when I was away in college and someone broke into my car. I would say that overall, things are getting better here. You may hear about things more in the news but that's because the cops are actually doing things about it now rather than just ignoring and denying the problems. To back this up, the crime rate dropped 5% last year and with 7 new officers to be added this year along with various other efforts, it will likely continue to drop.

If there is any property you are looking at and you want some more detailed info on the area, just let me know and I'll do my best to help.

Huntington is a wonderful place to live and I think you'll love it here!

Tim

Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 PM

41 posts, read 140,809 times
Be careful of some parts of the Westmoreland area. We moved there, thinking it would be a nice, quiet area and boy were we wrong! We were on Bradley right near the grocery store. Once, I went walking early Sunday morning and was accosted by some weirdo that tried to get me into his truck...the funny part is that I'm in my 50's and certainly wasn't the type men are going to bother. Then, there were my two little dogs...someone tossed rotten meat in my yard (I had a good fence with padlocks to keep people out..they loved to cut through my yard all the time) and that ended up costing me $400.00 at the doggie ER. Next, there was a bank robbery on the corner...that was followed with somone nut on the block behind me robbing Fruths and running through my neighbors yard. I just happened to see him when I let my dogs out that morning. That was it for me...we lost a fortune and got out of Dodge. Oh, yes, be careful in that area...there was a crack house too.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 PM

275 posts, read 707,729 times
tbailey is 100% right. I used to live down near 16th and 20th street... lots of crime there.

The west end is getting a bad rap, but it's not the whole area. My best friend lived on Adams ave. and never had an issue, yet a few blocks away there were meth labs and crack houses busted.

I love Huntington and I think you will too! I never have had any crime happen to me, you just have to use your head, lock your car, lock your doors at night and don't walk around alone. That is common sense anywhere!

Hope you like it here!!

Old 11-17-2013, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,725 times
I currently live on 21st street. Just last week had a person standing in my front yard shooting at my neighbors house and also striking several innocent victims vehicles. About a month ago. There was two men killed around 10th ave. corner, one on the street and one shot in his own bed with his child laying next to him. Several months ago there was a man shot on Lincoln ave., which is beside my house. There's been several locals have been charged with brandishing and attempted murder of firearms. A month ago, there was 6 people shot 3 blocks away from me. Very much drug activity and prostitution in this area. Loud music and gun shots constantly! I am in the process of moving closer to Washington Blvd. on West Side, a lot less crime that way. I fear for mine and my wife's well being, as well as my animals, every minute of my life. I'm definitely not moving back to this area. This lifestyle is not fun! But, overall, I've lived in Beckley, Pax, Charleston, Sophia, and Huntington, WV... And Huntington would have to be my favorite for weather, economical convenience, and good people, less drug problems, and cheaper living. So, like others have stated, avoid the bad areas and don't get involved with criminal actions and you should be just fine!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,136 times
I will back tbailey1138 100%! Avoid the areas mentioned, and don't get involved in anything that you shouldn't. I had lived there my entire life, until recently, and have even come close to being a victim of a crime.

I have been living in Rochester NY recently and I can tell you that Huntington WV seems like a place completely void of crime in comparison. Nothing against those who live in the Rochester area, because I love it here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington