U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:23 PM

28 posts, read 67,622 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Huntington in mid-June. I have 2 25-lb dogs.

I am flying out the last weekend in May to find a place to live. Other than the Herald-Dispatch and Craig's List, where should I be looking for houses to rent? I am not opposed to an apartment, but with the dogs a fenced yard is easier.

In a perfect world I would find a 2 or 3 bedroom older house with a fenced yard, dishwasher, and w/d. Hardwood floors are definitely preferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Also, I will be working at one of the hospitals in town. I've found some nice stuff in Ashland, but being in my mid-20s, I would still like some of the college-town vibe. It seems silly to work in a collegetown but live 20 miles away.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM

4,151 posts, read 6,852,052 times
Here's another link that you can check:
Tri-State Homes

It has mostly apartments though but there are some home rentals. Best way to find a house to rent is by driving around. There's a house for rent on Enslow Blvd that would suit your needs but I've never seen the inside and I don't know how much rent would be. It's an older house that looks very nice from the outside and it's not even a block from Ritter Park. Hospitals, small grocery store and downtown all are walkable from there as well. If I see something that fits your description, I can write the number down and get it to you if that's helpful. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Tim

Old 05-18-2009, 07:27 PM

275 posts, read 616,347 times
Do you have a budget? As in, how much can you afford a month for rent? With two mid-sized dogs it will be harder to find someplace with a yard to rent around campus. Try closer to Ritter Park, west end, etc.... Campus near is mostly students and the landlords are nazi's about NO PETS AT ALL. We had that issue a lot and all we have is a nice little kitty.

Listen to bailey though, come down, drive around and you will be so surprised what you find by driving along 4th, 5th and 6th avenues. Guyandotte has some places too (Just 3 miles from campus! )

Good luck and WELCOME TO WV!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 PM

I'm definitely interested in the Ritter Park area as well. Thank you for your help! I'll have 2 full days in Huntington, so hopefully I'll be able to look at places. Where I've lived before, it's been helpful to drive by and find places to live. Too bad I don't really have the opportunity to do that this time.

As far as social stuff - my boyfriend will be staying behind, but how is the bar scene? How dog friendly is Huntington? My dogs are super well behaved and we love a bar/restaurant with a nice patio.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:55 AM

4,151 posts, read 6,852,052 times
There are sooo many people here who have dogs. I see some pretty rare dogs over at Ritter Park from time to time as well. Even see a guy who has a Dingo. He supposedly paid $4,000 dollars for it! I'd bet people in Australia would think he'd lost it since they shoot them over there as they view them as pests. In terms of dogs in downtown though, you don't really see it often. I'm not sure if Huntington has any ordinances against it or if people just don't do it. If you find a restaurant you like with an outdoor seating area, I'd just ask them if they'd let you bring your dog. Wouldn't hurt.

Not sure about the bar scene as that's not my thing, but most people seem pleased by it. There are several bars that aim for a more upscale appeal like Club Luna, The Pearl Lounge, Rum Runners and Tequila Rocks. Again, never been in them but I've heard people say that they are pretty nice.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
Do you have a budget? As in, how much can you afford a month for rent? With two mid-sized dogs it will be harder to find someplace with a yard to rent around campus. Try closer to Ritter Park, west end, etc.... Campus near is mostly students and the landlords are nazi's about NO PETS AT ALL. We had that issue a lot and all we have is a nice little kitty.

Listen to bailey though, come down, drive around and you will be so surprised what you find by driving along 4th, 5th and 6th avenues. Guyandotte has some places too (Just 3 miles from campus! )

Good luck and WELCOME TO WV!!!
Thanks for your help! I think my budget is basically <$1000. More realistically, <$850, but for the perfect place I'll pay more sort of thing.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 AM

41 posts, read 123,245 times
I am not a bar person, but a great place to eat and relax is the Marshall Cafe. Hubby and I love it there.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 PM

how far is Westmoreland?

Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM

275 posts, read 616,347 times
OMG Marshall Cafe is AWESOME. So is Taste of Asia and Hibachi's. We don't do the whole "bar scene" thing, but those who do that I know love Club Echo (great shows) an The V Club (live music and entertainment every weekend). I've been to both and had a great time w/out having to drink myself into a stupor. :P

Check out Tequila Rocks/ Monkey Bar/ Fluid (Don't know, they keep changing hands and names) and Babylon is the newer one in town. For sports bars, try the Hot Corner and sometimes the Green martini. The Union always has been and always WILL be the best place for a good time. I believe it's every wednesday they have a trivia night and specials, both food and drink. Great times, great music.

Hope that helps!

Also, the budget you quoted, that could get you a place I think you are looking for near Ritter Park. With two dogs you will have a deposit and your landlord will probably want to meet them and make sure they are "sociable". It's near the park and you will be able to get them out and active! Happy poochies are nice poochies.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington