Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:52 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times

Advertisements

CTmtn you chose Morgantown for your own reasons. I chose Charleston for my own reasons, and I know for a fact Huntington isn't as god awful as you've regularly alluded. Forbes? Once upon a time they adored Enron, and didn't they have egg on their face when the winds of fortune turned. I don't live in Huntington because it's hotter there in summertime and Charleston porridge isn't too hot or too cold, but just right for me. Whatever complaint anyone would have about that isn't right in the head and I've said as much to a south charleston resident in this forum.

By and large I liked Morgantown, even if some areas resembled Baltimore. I witnessed trash talking teens (freshmen?) carrying on in public while passing through. Should I make up my mind about the whole city based on that flimsy anecdotal experience and deny cuisine variety & a charming main st. that very much resembled Huntington? I've never heard any criticism of Morgantown beyond potholes and traffic, which is the place you'd be most qualified to speak about present tense. Have y'all been telling the whole truth with such a starry eyed romantic view?

What you've chosen is about what you value and you'll never hear me complain about it because I honor everyones freedom of choice- even those silly HOA people safely locked away in their cages. I enjoy the company of anyone happy right where they are because they're not hell bent on blaming the world for their misery. When you realize that not all value the same as yourself agreeing to disagree becomes much easier.

Can you imagine how absurd judgmental people sound to me when they go on about how classless others are? All the while they're picking their teeth, ordering plastic cork chianti and eating lemon pepper sole with an appetizer fork in their fist because Tony Soprano is their cultural icon? Don't dare reach for the butter tray risking your hand so close to their plate. Ahhh yes, fashionistador, please do forgive me if I completely lose my composure and die laughing. There's no snob quite like an unqualified one, and hick towns putting on pretentious airs are the absolute worst! Reminds me of Russians claiming to dislike Chinese as a race because they were dirty, never realizing how badly they reeked themselves (both nations lacked reliable indoor plumbing). I politely adapted by applying perfume under my nose. We nasty Americans, on the other hand, have townies bragging about how they rate having a walmart, therefore, they must exist.

Indeed South Charleston is mighty proud of their walmart, but if they only knew the social circles shopping Bloomies or Neiman Marcus laughing at them. Then there's the whole other echelon most of you haven't met laughing at everyone who wouldn't be caught dead shopping retail. The upscale stores & exclusive designers literally come to their penthouse/ mansion in the form of a personal shopper. Stand on line with a cart like a bag lady? Own a mini van? How Kitsch!

If South Charleston only knew they weren't a whale in their fishbowl they might recall the humility they were raised on that truly characterizes the state. This would be why I wouldn't be caught dead living in south charleston- they're far too immature about money and divorced their roots. You'd think their strip malls were Marseille boutiques or Rodeo Drive for crying out loud. Too funny, but then again, so is the guy bragging about how much his BMW cost to a man who owns a half million dollar combine. Me; I'm laughing at the world because I sincerely believe you're all dented in the head thinking the worth of a human being/ community hinges upon such tacky materialistic criteria.

I wish you'd walk a mile in Tbaileys shoes. He's been a gentleman. Would you be talking about my home on my porch with equal persistence this past year I'd invite you to leave. That would be a shame because I think you've got perspectives on other subjects that are substantive. Clouding them with nuisance complaints and wearing the ugly american suit is a choice. I'm hoping you'd aspire to be more self aware. He's a decent man who deserves better than he's gotten from this forum. He can take pride in his hometown and as GHO succinctly pointed out doesn't feel the need to diminish others in the process. That's the hallmark of a mature male grossly undervalued by the mean streets of my sad America. I'm not the only one trying to say this.

Something I was very attracted to about WV- common courtesy and respect being the rule, not the exception. Fact is the world doesn't exist to amuse anyone, and those in need of their rear end being kissed have a costly personal problem they'll pay for most of their lives. That's a naive mentality large cities and wealthy can reserve for themselves for as long as that illusion isn't busted by the stark reality of daylight. Few have the fortitude to look that in the eye earnestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
CTmtn you chose Morgantown for your own reasons. I chose Charleston for my own reasons, and I know for a fact Huntington isn't as god awful as you've regularly alluded. Forbes? Once upon a time they adored Enron, and didn't they have egg on their face when the winds of fortune turned. I don't live in Huntington because it's hotter there in summertime and Charleston porridge isn't too hot or too cold, but just right for me. Whatever complaint anyone would have about that isn't right in the head and I've said as much to a south charleston resident in this forum.

By and large I liked Morgantown, even if some areas resembled Baltimore. I witnessed trash talking teens (freshmen?) carrying on in public while passing through. Should I make up my mind about the whole city based on that flimsy anecdotal experience and deny cuisine variety & a charming main st. that very much resembled Huntington? I've never heard any criticism of Morgantown beyond potholes and traffic, which is the place you'd be most qualified to speak about present tense. Have y'all been telling the whole truth with such a starry eyed romantic view?

What you've chosen is about what you value and you'll never hear me complain about it because I honor everyones freedom of choice- even those silly HOA people safely locked away in their cages. I enjoy the company of anyone happy right where they are because they're not hell bent on blaming the world for their misery. When you realize that not all value the same as yourself agreeing to disagree becomes much easier.

Can you imagine how absurd judgmental people sound to me when they go on about how classless others are? All the while they're picking their teeth, ordering plastic cork chianti and eating lemon pepper sole with an appetizer fork in their fist because Tony Soprano is their cultural icon? Don't dare reach for the butter tray risking your hand so close to their plate. Ahhh yes, fashionistador, please do forgive me if I completely lose my composure and die laughing. There's no snob quite like an unqualified one, and hick towns putting on pretentious airs are the absolute worst! Reminds me of Russians claiming to dislike Chinese as a race because they were dirty, never realizing how badly they reeked themselves (both nations lacked reliable indoor plumbing). I politely adapted by applying perfume under my nose. We nasty Americans, on the other hand, have townies bragging about how they rate having a walmart, therefore, they must exist.

Indeed South Charleston is mighty proud of their walmart, but if they only knew the social circles shopping Bloomies or Neiman Marcus laughing at them. Then there's the whole other echelon most of you haven't met laughing at everyone who wouldn't be caught dead shopping retail. The upscale stores & exclusive designers literally come to their penthouse/ mansion in the form of a personal shopper. Stand on line with a cart like a bag lady? Own a mini van? How Kitsch!

If South Charleston only knew they weren't a whale in their fishbowl they might recall the humility they were raised on that truly characterizes the state. This would be why I wouldn't be caught dead living in south charleston- they're far too immature about money and divorced their roots. You'd think their strip malls were Marseille boutiques or Rodeo Drive for crying out loud. Too funny, but then again, so is the guy bragging about how much his BMW cost to a man who owns a half million dollar combine. Me; I'm laughing at the world because I sincerely believe you're all dented in the head thinking the worth of a human being/ community hinges upon such tacky materialistic criteria.

I wish you'd walk a mile in Tbaileys shoes. He's been a gentleman. Would you be talking about my home on my porch with equal persistence this past year I'd invite you to leave. That would be a shame because I think you've got perspectives on other subjects that are substantive. Clouding them with nuisance complaints and wearing the ugly american suit is a choice. I'm hoping you'd aspire to be more self aware. He's a decent man who deserves better than he's gotten from this forum. He can take pride in his hometown and as GHO succinctly pointed out doesn't feel the need to diminish others in the process. That's the hallmark of a mature male grossly undervalued by the mean streets of my sad America. I'm not the only one trying to say this.

Something I was very attracted to about WV- common courtesy and respect being the rule, not the exception. Fact is the world doesn't exist to amuse anyone, and those in need of their rear end being kissed have a costly personal problem they'll pay for most of their lives. That's a naive mentality large cities and wealthy can reserve for themselves for as long as that illusion isn't busted by the stark reality of daylight. Few have the fortitude to look that in the eye earnestly.

Apparently, you've missed some of Tim's posts, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I went to school in Huntington, and know more about it that than you might suppose, but admittedly I haven't spent much time there lately. I also worked for the State Board of Education in Charleston, so I know something of that place too. I'm happy that you like Charleston soup. My ex is from the Greater Cedar Grove-Glasgow Metropolitan Area, and we had some rather tasty meals in that town from time to time. I'm sorry to say I never had soup there though.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 AM

11 posts, read 30,342 times
For what it's worth, I just read through this entire thread because I may be applying for a faculty position in one of the new programs at Marshall, which CT seems to think is such a big mistake by the University's President.

Some thoughts:

-I think Tim Bailey won the debate because he marshaled (no pun intended) more detailed and accurate facts regarding the reality of the Huntington area.

-CT brought forward several inaccuracies, exaggerations and mis-attributions, which to me revealed an emotional bias against Huntington/MU based on his preference for Morgantown/WVU. His sniping about about Mr. Bailey bringing up the closure of the GM dealership in Morgantown as a frontal assault on the town was downright disingenuous.

- For the life of me, in an era when college tuitions continue to soar well-above inflation rates, I can't fathom why reducing out of state tuition would be a bad thing. If the President of Marshall is able to start new programs, bring in new students and confer higher level degrees while continuing to attract well-qualified faculty, then all the power to him.

-Harborlady's last post should be re-printed and published at least in the local leading magazine of the area, if not on the op-ed page of USA Today.

Quote:
There's no snob quite like an unqualified one, and hick towns putting on pretentious airs are the absolute worst!
That's good stuff!

Last edited by JWarePT; 08-23-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: fix quote box

Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,949,212 times
Out of curiosity JWare, are you thinking of applying for a job in the new PT program? As a PT, I'm am looking forward to seeing that program get up and running. It would have been nice if that program had been here when I went through PT school. It sounds like it will be a great program and a great addition to Marshall. They recruited the current head of the program at LSU to lead the PT program here if you hadn't seen that yet.
If you have any questions about the area, feel free to ask.

Tim

Marshall names founding director of new PT program - The Herald Dispatch

Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarePT View Post
For what it's worth, I just read through this entire thread because I may be applying for a faculty position in one of the new programs at Marshall, which CT seems to think is such a big mistake by the University's President.

Some thoughts:

-I think Tim Bailey won the debate because he marshaled (no pun intended) more detailed and accurate facts regarding the reality of the Huntington area.

-CT brought forward several inaccuracies, exaggerations and mis-attributions, which to me revealed an emotional bias against Huntington/MU based on his preference for Morgantown/WVU. His sniping about about Mr. Bailey bringing up the closure of the GM dealership in Morgantown as a frontal assault on the town was downright disingenuous.

- For the life of me, in an era when college tuitions continue to soar well-above inflation rates, I can't fathom why reducing out of state tuition would be a bad thing. If the President of Marshall is able to start new programs, bring in new students and confer higher level degrees while continuing to attract well-qualified faculty, then all the power to him.

-Harborlady's last post should be re-printed and published at least in the local leading magazine of the area, if not on the op-ed page of USA Today.

That's good stuff!
This thread is more than a year old, but if you are applying for a faculty job In Huntington it would seem you have your own biases. Anyone who reads any of these threads can see that Tim and I each have our own, and that they sometimes take an emotional slant.

As to Harborlady, her posts are entertaining to the utmost. Sometimes you have to think in the abstract to understand them, but she has her biases as well whether or not she will admit it.

Good luck with your new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington