Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 AM

6,001 posts, read 8,983,730 times

Advertisements

The Reason people bash West Virginia in the first place, is because West Virginians sit on their "Pitty Pot" and don't change.
WV isn't racist, illiterate, or dumb, WV is a good place to grow a family. A place where family and friends can live without the stresses in life.
To make WV a better place we can't talk down about our state.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:32 AM

117 posts, read 206,749 times
"I'm just saying, if the original poster has a preconceived view that it's okay to look at people of different color like they're racists, I'd suggest the mirror as a good starting point to unlearn hypocricy (sic)."

Hey, the OP had a question. Beyond that you're reading into it. Treat him as you would like to be treated. Show some generosity of spirit and welcome him to your home town. I'm sure he'd do the same for you.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 AM

300 posts, read 817,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoyd View Post
Hey, the OP had a question. Beyond that you're reading into it. Treat him as you would like to be treated. Show some generosity of spirit and welcome him to your home town. I'm sure he'd do the same for you.
More wisdom from Arlington, Virginia . . must be something in the water there because you politically correct types who post in the West Virginia forum all have the same accent; it's unintelligible.

News Releases (http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/index.htm?top25=no&year=all&month=all&state=48&top ic=all - broken link)
Arlington Crime Map - Showing Crime in Arlington, VA - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here
http://vdare.com/malkin/rockefeller.htm
http://www.bvbl.net/index.php/catego...ington-county/
http://www.aim.org/don-irvine-blog/i...k-in-virginia/
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/200...1032/-1/news01
http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/018497.php
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0132552...demy&sa=Search

I refute what you imply. I didn't say anything unwelcome to the original poster.

Checking hypocricy at the door is wisdom. Additionally, in posting the MSNBC spew, I pointed out that what "he may have heard" can often be a distortion of what actually is.

p.s. Recommend boiling your water.

Last edited by red.ochre; 08-22-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 10:17 AM

That's just the sort of welcoming spirit I was talking about. Sorry, I missed it the first time.

And I'm FROM WV, dick.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 PM

671 posts, read 1,053,045 times
I was the unwelcoming one, but as a weak defense of myself, it was the second post of the day from someone asking about WV with a preconceived notion (the first being about some stupid backwoods stories) that this state is nothing but toothless racists who don't understand the wonders of the modern, post-1940s world. From what I've observed in the two and half years that I've lived in Morgantown is that most people I've met are well educated, oriented toward a great variety of outdoors sports, and have deliberately chosen to live in this city after having seen the other lifestyles this nation has to offer. There's only so much crap that I think people in here should have to bear for having a rural history.

I've met a good many idiots from around this country, none of which had a particular origin. There are fools everywhere who have their own dumb beliefs about other peoples' abilities based on skin color, wealth, whether they grew up urban/suburban/rural, or any other reason. It's frustrating, that's all. Sorry for not being welcoming to a curious outsider, but I'm not sorry for being grumpy about the ignorance of others.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:58 AM

404 posts, read 1,184,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomersBoy View Post
LOL...........Bed sheets in the summer? We don't hang ours up over the windows until winter to keep the cold air out.

A couple of winters ago, we hung wool blankets over our walls. It was cold and our wood stove pipe burnt out at the worst time! We are a hardy folk here, we still conserve our free gas just because free doesn't mean there is an endless supply of it! Those wool blankets did come in handy! The sheets stayed on the bed.

Yesterday, my kids were giving me a hard time because we went to the concert at prickets fork and they missed "dinner". Which means we didn't sit home at the table but brougt food with us. Poor children had to eat their roast beef, yogurt, fresh veggies and mellon on the ground. They told me they were "starving" because they ate later than usual. It just pushes a button for me. Me or my children have never been starving. We live in the most indulgent, weathy country in the world. Hungry, I can live with. But I just get mad when they say they are starving.

The kids look at me like I'm crazy when I try to explain it to them. I wonder if that's the look I had on my face when my parents and grandparents explained it to me?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:11 PM

2,016 posts, read 4,583,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoyd View Post
That's just the sort of welcoming spirit I was talking about. Sorry, I missed it the first time.

And I'm FROM WV, dick.
You can't win with most of these people Zoyd so it's really a lost cause. Many of them moved from out of state and after a few short years somehow know everything there is to know about West Virginia. If you grew up in the state like I did (spent 22 years there) and move on they label you as some sort of outsider that knows absolutely nothing about the state. Quite juvenile really but such is life I guess.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Adam36 and NOVAmtneer those are both fair answers and I respect your views. And thank you for taking the time to post them.

"From what I've observed in the two and half years that I've lived in Morgantown is that most people I've met are well educated, oriented toward a great variety of outdoors sports, and have deliberately chosen to live in this city after having seen the other lifestyles this nation has to offer. There's only so much crap that I think people in here should have to bear for having a rural history."

No more so than the people of NYC should have to accept that the city is unsafe and unfriendly. But isn't the better response to turn people's misconceptions around with intelligence and humour? No I'm not for a minute suggesting that I'm perfect or a minister or priest. Far from it. But read that moronic hateful response I got above and *that* is every bit the equivalent of a toothless, uneducated racist, notwithstanding the perfection of his dentition or his advanced education. What kind of opinion would someone have if that were the response to a question.

My take on it was that here was a black man, whose shoes I would never pretend to walk in, asking a very broad but, IMO, a very legitimate question. To someone like yourself who knows the difference and has the perfect opportunity to *show* him otherwise I think your response could have done better. Are there bigoted blacks? Hell yes, but that's not the question - it's beside the point entirely. If I were to ask him about moving into say Roxbury in Boston, or Southeast in DC, I would hope he would give me a straight answer and not tell me I'm a typical racist bad guy. (lol, the word 'bad guy' probably isn't even used anymore, shows you how long I've spent in the 'hood'.) It wouldn't let me use the word and I didn't think it was offensive! LOL

And no doubt, idiots abound. The one who posted before me - a fine example of the breed. Idiots are not constrained by geographic boundaries, race, religion, zip code, nationality and most certainly not from posting on the internet.

So all I'm saying is, here is the opportunity to stand out from that guy (above) and be the people our parents wanted us to be. It starts with us.

Okay, getting off my soap box now.

Hope you are well.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 PM

515 posts, read 774,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
WV isn't racist, illiterate, or dumb, WV is a good place to grow a family. A place where family and friends can live without the stresses in life.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh....Are you crazy? WV is the best kept secret around. People from everywhere will read this and want to flock to our state and then we'll be just like all the others.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,275,578 times
I remember Oregon when it was as pristine as Wv...

It is a ruined wasteland now...Stinking Hairy Krishna's and Welfare Cali--fornicator Dopers killed it...

They are working on Wv too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington