U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 17,432 times

Advertisements

I accepted a job offer in Barboursville, WV, but since then I have been hearing lots of talk about West Virginia being racist. Is this true? I will be moving with my 3 year old daughter, and we are black. Is West Virginia a good city to continue raising my family? Also, is it true that the school system is poor?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:00 PM

613 posts, read 800,276 times
WV isn't racist. Individuals are racist. I get what you are asking, but am concerned that you really have to question if WV is homogeneous from border to border. Are all Texans mentally deficient, evolution-shunning, neoconservatives? For the sake of the 45% who voted for Obama, the answer is 'no'.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:56 PM

938 posts, read 2,537,307 times
Where you are moving is inside the largest metro area in the state between Charleston and Huntington. It's just like any other part of the country to be honest. If it was 1947, I could see your concern...but when you arrive, you'll find that it's the year 2009 in West Virginia, too.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Thanks guys for granting us such speedy relief. Your replies are encouraging. I guess the things we heard were simply untrue rumors. That's how the world is anyways. We are looking forward to enjoying the beauty of the country side, especially in the upcoming autumn.
Can anyone suggest hair salons in the huntington area, and recommend a good school for my 3 year old child?

Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 PM

527 posts, read 1,502,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoco View Post
Thanks guys for granting us such speedy relief. Your replies are encouraging. I guess the things we heard were simply untrue rumors. That's how the world is anyways. We are looking forward to enjoying the beauty of the country side, especially in the upcoming autumn.
Can anyone suggest hair salons in the huntington area, and recommend a good school for my 3 year old child?

Like everywhere, you will probably encounter less racism within urban areas than in the country where populations tend to be separate and isolated for a long period of time.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 AM

4,153 posts, read 6,858,332 times
You will be just fine in the Huntington area. As others have pointed out, Huntington is the second largest city in the state with 50,000 residents and then 285,000 people in the MSA. Thanks to that and the diversity brought about by Marshall University, you will be just fine here. The school system here is a good one with many oportunities and many schools being named schools of excellence. With regards to preschools, The Marshall Early Education Center is good and I've heard good things about the pre-school at Enslow Park Presbyterian church. There are several others in town but I'm not too familiar with them. With regards to the other schools, Huntington High has historicaly performed better on testing than Cabell Midland, but most of the Middle and Elementary schools are very good.

Marshall University Early Education Center - MUEEC (http://www.marshall.edu/coehs/mueec/ - broken link)
The Child Development Academy at Marshall University | A Living, Learning Laboratory

There are many different salons in the area but the two my wife has liked the best are EnStyle in Barboursville and the Runway Salon in Huntington. Out of those two, she has liked Runway the best.

Runway Salon & Spa Huntington WV Haircut Perm Beauty Color Highlights the best
En Style Salon & Spa

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else.

Tim

Old 08-17-2009, 06:50 AM

967 posts, read 2,656,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
Like everywhere, you will probably encounter less racism within urban areas than in the country where populations tend to be separate and isolated for a long period of time.
Yes, because there is no internet, or means of keeping up with the world when you live "in the country". If not for smoke signals and the migratory patterns of birds, we'd be unable to communicate with the outside world, and may even miss the changing of seasons. Therefore, we country folk must still be racist. Excellent deduction.

Some guy who ventured into our land-of-the-lost had a bumper sticker on his car that indicated a black guy was president. Taft is out of Office? It's so difficult to see out of the holes in this bed sheet, I may have missed the last 50 years.

Duh.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM

515 posts, read 624,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Yes, because there is no internet, or means of keeping up with the world when you live "in the country". If not for smoke signals and the migratory patterns of birds, we'd be unable to communicate with the outside world, and may even miss the changing of seasons. Therefore, we country folk must still be racist. Excellent deduction.

Some guy who ventured into our land-of-the-lost had a bumper sticker on his car that indicated a black guy was president. Taft is out of Office? It's so difficult to see out of the holes in this bed sheet, I may have missed the last 50 years.

Duh.
LOL...........Bed sheets in the summer? We don't hang ours up over the windows until winter to keep the cold air out.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the humor Hinton Bound!!! I am thankful for the information that you've passed on tbailey. You guys are such a blessing. We'll keep in touch.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:58 PM

300 posts, read 719,596 times

YouTube - Deliverance - Banjo Duel

Last edited by red.ochre; 08-17-2009 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington