Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times

Advertisements

According to the American Alliance of Healthcare Providers, Cabell Huntington Hospital was one of the top 100 hospitals in the nation for top-rated customer service and the only hospital in WV that made the list. There is some pretty impressive company on the list as well. They also continue to be in the top 5% in the nation for total joint replacement and overall orthopedic care according to Healthgrades. As the partnership with MU grows and the services continue to grow, I look for Cabell to continue to offer a better quality of care. Thats good for the hospital, good for Huntington and good for the state. Improving healthcare and educational opportunities are two things that will help sustain West Virginia's future as we look forward.

American Alliance of Healthcare Providers, West Virginia Hospitals

American Alliance of Healthcare Providers, Full List of Hospitals

Cabell Huntington Hospital - Services - Orthopedics - Joint Replacement - Huntington, WV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
That's really nice, and there are all sorts of lists that
give hospitals things about which to feel good. Here's
one that ranks Mon General in the Top 5%.

Mon General Hospital wins patient-safety award* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports

Bottom line, though, is a hospital is just no place to be
if you can help it no matter where it is located. Almost
as many people die from infections they get in one as
are cured in them.

The Cabell Hospital is a good one, but don't go there
unless it is absolutely necessary. Don't go to any
hospital if you can help it. And, Tim... I'm not trying
to rain on your parade here. I'm glad they made
somebody's best list. It's just that I think I'm a little
older than you are and perhaps a little more sensitive
about what really goes on in hospitals, having lost
friends and family members in a number of them,
including some on the various best lists. Believe me,
you don't want to be there.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 12-06-2009 at 11:11 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 AM

63 posts, read 223,969 times
WOW, I thought you were talking about Montgomery General Hospital! I went to Tech, and if anybody needed to go to the hospital, we'd avoid the hospital that was 30 seconds away and would drive the 30ish minutes to CAMC, even if the person was bleeding all over the car.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPhoenix View Post
WOW, I thought you were talking about Montgomery General Hospital! I went to Tech, and if anybody needed to go to the hospital, we'd avoid the hospital that was 30 seconds away and would drive the 30ish minutes to CAMC, even if the person was bleeding all over the car.
You know, I can't understand why hospitals are such dangerous places. One of the reasons, perhaps the main reason, medical coverage costs so much in this country is because the lawyers hang aournd like vultures outside hospital waiting rooms waiting for someone to die. They are scary places.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM

By nature of the fact that hospitals are the largest concentration of sick people that one can find, they are going to be "dangerous places" for those with weak or compromised immune systems, either long term or acutely. But having a good local hospital that provides a wide variety of services and does so in a way that is recognized by the national groups that monitor such things is good, in my opinion.

And since I work at a hospital, I have a pretty good idea of what goes on inside them. Seeing the things that doctors do on a daily basis, it's a miracle that things don't go wrong more often than they do. I think people today take medicine for granted and because of all the things that can be done, the focus tends to be on what can't be done.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Sorry, Tim... I didn't know you worked in a hospital.

Is that why so many people actually catch infections
in them... because there is such a collection of sick
people? That shouldn't be surprising, I suppose.
What are hospitals doing to prevent such mishaps?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Hospitals actually take tremendous steps to prevent infections. Employees must wash/disinfect hands before and after seeing each patient. While seeing a pt, employees are to wear gloves and be aware not to touch anything outside the patient's room with those gloves. If a pt is found to have certain viruses, they are placed on isolation and employees must wear gowns and gloves when seeing these patients. Then, when a pt is discharged, the room is thoroughly cleaned using anti-viral cleaner that is strong enough to even kill TB. Equipment is also sterilized, especially after being in the room of an isolation patient. In the surgery rooms, the surgery instruments are sterilized and a sterile field is established. If the sterile field is touched by someone who is not sterile or supposed to touch the instruments, new ones are obtained.

Now like any plan, there are times when employees don't follow the rules or there are breakdowns in the lines of protection. One of the biggest things I've observed is family members who take NO precautions when a patient is in isolation. They often don't gown or glove up and then the C-Diff or MRSA or whatever is then able to spread to that family member and anyone else they come in close contact with. Same thing with isolation factors like lice. The nurses treat the patient but then the family comes in and gives it right back to them. They attempt to make the visitors take precautions but when it's open door visitation, it's difficult to monitor these things all of the time. When trying to prevent the spread of viruses and infections, we all have to do our part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington