U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM

4,981 posts, read 6,541,544 times

Advertisements

Charleston and Huntington both get big names, but IDK if I want Elton John! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 06:38 PM

4,153 posts, read 6,858,332 times
Believe it or not, there was some planning put into this decision. The arena is a big draw for downtown and to fix it up will only add to how well it attracts events and ticket buyers. Bringing ice back to the arena also adds several new options as well. More shows means that the arena makes more money and then also draws more people downtown for shopping, dining, etc. There has been a big push on fixing what already exists in downtown Huntington to help it fit in with Pullman Square, which is newer.

The Cabell Co. commision asked for an extension on the Jan 31 deadline because they want to ensure that the funds can be put toward the Huntington airport. The airport is experiencing tremendous growth and helps the area economically and makes it more attractive. Huntington spreads into Wayne County though and the airport is actually in Wayne Co. The Cabell commission merely wants to ensure that the money can be spent in another county without losing it.

The Huntington arena does see big shows on a frequent basis. Jeff Dunham and Daughtry were here recently and Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin and Tim McGraw (sold out BTW) are performing there next month. Toby Mac and Skillet, big names in Christian music, will be here in April.

Silk, for concerts in the Coliseum, you have to take out at least 1/4 of the seats as no one can sit behind the stage. Also, it doesn't really host frequent concerts other than fallfest and whatever the fest they have in the spring is, which are both WVU sanctioned events.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:02 PM

820 posts, read 1,192,094 times
Charleston Civic Center hosted Taylor Swift (and Kelli Pickler) in June. Last night Rascal Flatts was there. I saw a CMT special of Backstage with Gretchen Wilson that was actually filmed after she performed there a few years ago.

So big name talent does come to Charleston. I am Huntington has had a few as well.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:13 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,258,696 times
The arena does need new seats. I believe it has been something like 17 or 18 years since the seats were renovated. The stands at the arena, The Big Sandy Superstore Arena, are not made of concrete and steel. They are made of steel and aluminum with the older style plastic chair back style seats. The stands are moveable and can retract all the way to the walls behind them. This designed was picked back when the arena was designed to allow for a much larger floor space for large trade shows, car shows and other floor events. It is a nice setup for those events but the stands look very cheap and give the arena a 2nd rate feel.

The arena in Htgn, installed a permanent ice rink in the summer of 1997. However, Im not sure how much repair it would require to get it operational. The present and past arena management haven't taken care of the permanent cooling pipes installed in the concreate floor. There have been several dozen breaks and repairs since the floor was installed. The most famous of which happened a couple of years after the rink was installed when during a monster truck show, part of a crushed car pierced the concrete and pipes and started a geyser of coolant. This was because the arena didn't require the promoter to put down any dirt to protect the arena floor. The arena still doesn't require any dirt to be put down for the monster truck shows. Below is a link to a picture taken during one of the past monster truck event, showing no protection to the floor.

http://www.samson4x4.com/photos/2008/huntington3.jpg

Marshall had a club hockey team back during the days of the Huntington Blizzard minor league hockey team. The MU team played at the now closed Tri-State ice Arena. To be honest, I haven't heard any talk of MU bringing back hockey on the club level. However, for the past few years there have been rumblings of the Southern Professional Hockey League putting a team in Huntington but nothing more than talk has happened. Im not sure minor league hockey will work in Huntington. It would be great to see some games locally again but not if I am joined by only 400 to 500 other fans.

One major issue that hurt the Huntington Blizzard was that of arena scheduling. The arena hosts many annual events, Toughman Contest, RV and Boat Show, high school wrestling, concerts, motocross, Monster Trucks, etc., from December until late March that take up a lot of prime weekend dates. Some of those events are were always more profitable than the hockey games. The last 2 seasons or so of the Blizzard, the team was stuck playing a lot of Sunday afternoon and Tuesday and Wednesday night games. That didn't help their attendance problems one bit. My guess would be that any new team will have the same issues.

Last edited by aeros71; 01-24-2010 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM

267 posts, read 1,231,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
billybob, as far as i know, the civic arenas in WV do a pretty decent job of attracting concerts, especially of the country genre. And the Coliseum in Morgantown seats almost 16k, not including additional seating on the floor for concerts.
I can see country doing well in WV. Wasn't Wheeling's arena a popular place for those metal acts at one time? There is a story I have heard in the past about the time in the summer of 88 when Guns & Roses played the Wheeling Civic Center when they opened up for Aerosmith. The story goes that both Axl Rose and Slash were so drunk( or high ) that both opened up the show with ".....Hey there INDIANAPOLIS..YOU GUYS F***ING ROCK !!! BETTER THAN THE A-HOLES IN WEST VIRGINIA !!'....and this was in Wheeling Anyway the story goes that the audience was so mad about this "incident" that Guns & Roses was booed right off the stage after slurring through 3 maybe 4 songs.. Wonder if they played West Virginia ever again? I seem to recall hearing something about this on Pittsburgh's WDVE-FM several years ago but still I wonder exactly how true this was.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 PM

Here's a good article in the Huntington paper with some info about the Big Sandy arena, including the fact that it's currently one of the top 20 arenas in the country for its size. The new upgrades will merely help it move up that list.

New year to bring several events to Tri-State - The Herald Dispatch

Old 01-24-2010, 09:00 PM

9,406 posts, read 11,471,164 times
The vast majority of Civic Centers in every city were built in the late 60s and early 70s with "Great Society" money. I certainly won't argue that they weren't needed, but one problem from the concept is that they were built and no permanent revenue stream was built in to maintain them and keep them profitable. As a result, many cities (Wheeling is one of these) have had to dip into the general budget to pay bills for operations and maintenance. They have also, in general, fallen into disrepair.

It is certainly admirable that Huntington has allocated part of its government money toward maintaining theirs. I am sure there are competing needs for the money, like you find in any city these days, but that arena has special importance to the city and providing proper maintenance will help keep it viable and functioning for future years.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:06 PM

I read a mention of the MU club hockey team in an article but can't locate it now. There is mention of an MU hockey team at the Huntington Hockey Project but I'm not sure if these are just people looking into it or if anything official is being done.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:08 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,258,696 times
The Big Sandy Superstore Arena was built in 1977. The city still owns the Arena and the it can be a drain on the city budget. Over the ast decade or so many people have called for the city to sell the arena to a private company but the city refuses. The price the city could get for the building and the land is far better than the ongoing maintenance bill the city will endure for holding onto the property. Many of these people have pointed out that the city should not be in the arena managment game.I believe a junior hockey team would have a better shot at succeeding in Htgn due to the lower operational costs associated with staffing and players. The population of the tri-state area has declined even more since the days of the Huntington Blizzard. The fanbase would be hard to get back to a respectable level.It would be great to see the arena get more national acts, in concerts, comedy etc. Hopefully this money can help that come true.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:00 PM

With about 285,000 people in the Huntington MSA and nearly 95,000 of those in Cabell County, I think there are enough people to draw on for activities. The key is to advertise and get people connected to those activities. If they establish some youth hockey leagues and get the kids interested and then have some ice skating teams and let them do shows at before/after/in the middle of the game like they did before then that establishes an interest in the community and gives you a base to draw from. Then, if they could get an MU hockey team back and let them play before the main team, it would give people more bang for their buck and get MU students more interested as well.

The BIGGEST thing that they MUST do though is advertise. There are so many things that happen here that they just don't advertise well for. If they would fix that, and coordinate events better, there would be little problem getting support for such events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or